Get to know the next UFC LW Champ

BuffaloEmperor

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Gilbert Melendez-
:fights outta El Nino sports, and Cesar Gracie BJJ(brown belt).
:5'9 155pounds with 71inch reach and is 30 years old.
:Record: 21-2. both of his losses were via decision ( Josh Thompson, and Mitsuhiro Ishida) and he avenged both losses.
:11 wins via TKO/KO, 1 win via submission, 9 wins via decision.
:Has fought in many organizations such as, Strikeforce, Pride Fc, Shooto, Dream, Rumble at the Rock, and the WEC.
:First WEC Lightweight champ(2004), Fought in 10 strikeforce title bouts, and most wins in strikeforce history with 11.
: Defeated #2 ranked Lightweight at time, Shinya Aoki, in 2010 via decision
i just wanted to make this thread for the fans out there that don't know alot about Gilbert Melendez plus hes one of my favorite fighters and hes going to be fighting for the UFC LW Belt on 4-20-2013. I think Gilbert matchs up very well against Bendo especially since his teammate Nate just fought him and Gilbert is usually the corner man for Nick Diaz, Nate Diaz, and Jake Shields. Im picking Gilbert Melendez to beat Bendo via unamious decision. only concern is that the UFC made his title fight on a national holiday for some (4-20) and hopefully Nick Diaz isn't cornering Gil that night otherwise he might not be to helpful.

That's a rather odd Anthony Pettis bio there.....you didn't even get his name right

Keep dreaming, Melendez will be lucky to go .500 in his first 6 fights.

I think he can do it. It will be one hell of a war though!

That's a rather odd Anthony Pettis bio there.....you didn't even get his name right

This. And I don't even like Pettis. He will be the champion, regardless.

And... Melendez lost to Thompson in his last fight. lol.

This is what I was thinking. I don't see how everyone thinks he will be champion. Bendo will kick his ass and so will plenty of others.

i am dreaming ,but also being realistic. i dont think anthony pettis has anything for Bendo this time around. did anyone see pettis vs guida? plus pettis has to get through cowboy thats no easy task

melendez said that after his last fight with thompson is wasn't interested in that fight. and it was hard for him to get motivated for it. i really think melendez can defeat bendo.

i think that Gilbert is a great fighter with fantastic heart and ferocity. however i also believe that he is a tad bit overrated.
Im saying this because i as well think that shinya aoki who is a wizard on the ground is overrated as well, and would have a hard time with the wrestlers in 155. for sure the admirable josh thomson would not be in the title contentions at 155.
Personally i dont think he should get a title shot right away, i would like to see gilbert vs maynard for the number one spot first. If Gilbert goes into the UFC and fails right away against henderson and then fails to beat his next opponent afterward i fear we would be watching the greatest hypetrain derailment in a long long time to come to the UFC.
If gilbert wins against henderson, i will be the first one to admit that i was wrong and i would bow down and give him the props he deserves.
Im a fan of talented fighters that are warriors, as im sure we all are, so this isnt me hating, just me having some doubts.

i dont think pettis beating cowboy is a gurantee. i mean look at guida vs pettis.... then look at bendo vs guida,.

its gonna be a war but bendo will beat melendez

i dont think pettis beating cowboy is a gurantee. i mean look at guida vs pettis.... then look at bendo vs guida,.

totally agree with this post, I mean come on! MMATH can not fail

Pettis beat Bendo who beat Guida who beat Pettis who beat Bendo who beat Guida who beat Pettis who beat Bendo who beat Guida who beat Pettis who beat Bendo ERROR404 MMATH FAIL

Since when is 2 greater than 3? Melendez won the first 3 rounds.

totally agree with this post, I mean come on! MMATH can not fail

Pettis beat Bendo who beat Guida who beat Pettis who beat Bendo who beat Guida who beat Pettis who beat Bendo who beat Guida who beat Pettis who beat Bendo ERROR404 MMATH FAIL

i'll admit i hate mmath. but i had to say it, bendo beat down guida and guida got the best of pettis. i just think bendo has become a better fighter since joining the ufc. plus the pettis vs bendo fight was a very close fight. you take away the "showtime" kick and that fight might have went to Bendo via decision.

i am dreaming ,but also being realistic. i dont think anthony pettis has anything for Bendo this time around. did anyone see pettis vs guida? plus pettis has to get through cowboy thats no easy task

So, Henderson's style is nothing like Guida's, Pettis has outwrestled or been damn near even in the wrestling with everyone he has fought other then Guida, Henderson included, I don't see why people think Henderson will beat him now, Pettis was a bad match up for Henderson and he still is.

Pettis will have the better career when they are done, he is younger and already beat him.

i'll admit i hate mmath. but i had to say it, bendo beat down guida and guida got the best of pettis. i just think bendo has become a better fighter since joining the ufc. plus the pettis vs bendo fight was a very close fight. you take away the "showtime" kick and that fight might have went to Bendo via decision.

Pettis won with or without the kick, it was even going into the 5th but he was comfortably ahead in the 5th before the kick. Henderson is more tentative than Guida and less of a grinder, which is why his style doesn't work as well against Pettis.

Pettis had Henderson falling down by shuffling his feet and has improved as well, its as if people assume Pettis hasn't improved since they fought and Henderson has which makes no sense, Pettis is clearly improving and is younger than Henderson, he will be a champion one day and will have the better career when its all said and done.

So, Henderson's style is nothing like Guida's, Pettis has outwrestled or been damn near even in the wrestling with everyone he has fought other then Guida, Henderson included, I don't see why people think Henderson will beat him now, Pettis was a bad match up for Henderson and he still is.

Pettis will have the better career when they are done, he is younger and already beat him.

my opinion which is just my opinion nothing more, is since the WEC fight between Pettis and Bendo i think Bendo has improved his game more than Pettis. im not taking anything away from Pettis i just think Bendo is a better Bendo right now than he was in the WEC. plus i keep saying pettis has to get through cowboy i think cowboy could really derail the pettis hype train more than guida did.

Back