get a load of poll on the main page!

I voted Penn because I'm a nuthugger :)

I was going to make a thread about that too! I voted for Almeida just to show some love but its between him or Maia IMO.

NOG and BJ had HUGE leads and Almeida only had 2% lol

Nogueira has a lot of submissions. Penn, not so much. I think many of his biggest wins were by decision.

I voted other, as I think Wagney Fabiano or Vitor Ribeiro are the two top submission guys in MMA.

Aoki should also be on the list.

Nogueira has a lot of submissions. Penn, not so much. I think many of his biggest wins were by decision.

I voted other, as I think Wagney Fabiano or Vitor Ribeiro are the two top submission guys in MMA.

Nog takes it cuz he has the most submission victories against top tier guys. Sure there are guys out there who have more wins via submission than Nog, but Nog pulls them off against the best and usually takes a beating first making his submission game the best in MMA.

Personally my favorite submission based fighter to watch though is probably Imanari, but he is no where near as effective with them as Nog is.

Keep in mind the poll is talking about submission skills in MMA not Gi/No-gi grappling. It is a whole different beast.

If we are talking about in pure grappling I would go with Marcelinho or Jacare.

I voted Big Nog, but I could easily see Penn in there. Almeida has potential from what I've seen, but hasn't fought big enough competition yet.

BTW, where was Aoki on that poll?

e04it5.gif

i voted aurelio as when I saw this, I was like :eek:

Whats the objection?
the title is "Who's the most effective submission-inclined fighter in the UFC?"
How could it NOT be NOG, only a few ufc fights but 15+ wins from sub, none of the other guys have that many mma fights.

They were all tough choices. all had good submission victories in their last fight. All have a history of good submission wins. I picked nog because I had to choose one to see the results. Ask me an hour from now and I would probably pick someone else.

it's a tough choice, and you cxould put a good argument for almost all of them...

i had to go Damien though, i mean outside of MMA he's easily in the top 5 submission grapplers competing

Whats the objection?
the title is "Who's the most effective submission-inclined fighter in the UFC?"
How could it NOT be NOG, only a few ufc fights but 15+ wins from sub, none of the other guys have that many mma fights.

agreed

What fight is that from?

demian maia in UFC 83., still undefeated and herman was the first guy to get past the first round with him i believe.

outside of MMA Maia is widely named among the absolute best no-gi guys. I mean there's Roger, Jacare, Marcelo, and Deman Maia. as far as straight submissions go he's the best in the poll, but there's a good argument that he hasn't had that many fights yet. here's a highlight reel:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uit7qW3xNCU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uit7qW3xNCU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Back