Germany considers a year of national service for young people and migrants

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by snakedafunky, Aug 26, 2018.

1. snakedafunky

snakedafunky Red Belt

Angela Merkel’s Christian Democratic Union (CDU) party is floating the idea of a new form of compulsory national service in Germany for all young people and migrants.
    Germany considers year of national service for young people and migrants
    For over 50 years, all German men were obliged to spend a year in the army after leaving school. Those who could not, or would not, volunteered their time in community service instead.

The scheme was abolished in 2011, but the belief that young people should dedicate a year to national service persists in many conservative circles. Now, the CDU leadership, keen to reunite the party around traditional core values, is revisiting the concept.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...eturn-of-one-year-compulsory-national-service

I am heavily in support of this or something similar. Also, I think it should only apply to males, not females. Women should be busy making new babies.
    We need new soldiers anyway and from my experience, you always had some qualified guys staying after their mandatory military service because they liked it as a job.
    Same for the civil service. You always had some guys that found an interest in elderly or healthcare by doing it for a year. Considering that is an area of extreme labor shortages I can only see this as a good thing.

Anyway could just be rumblings from Merkel to make sure the CSU doesn't lose too many votes to the populists. Because she is taking away one of her adversaries main points again. Just this time from the right.

2. WhitebeltXL

WhitebeltXL Black Belt

In regards to young people, I think if you leave education and you're without a job or not enrolled for further education, then mandatory community service or military service is a good thing. Keeps young people on the straight and narrow and with something to occupy their time, whilst also learning valuable skills.

Same goes for migrants, no job or education, then you can put in the man hours for your community/country whilst learning on the job.

This has literally no downsides unless you're one of the feckless or lazy.

3. Phr3121

Phr3121 Red Belt Platinum Member

Great idea. Wish we would do that here in the United States.

MPD-Psycho and JbModest like this.
  4. SIRGAY HARITONOB!

SIRGAY HARITONOB! RED ARMY BELT

Disagree.

Kafir-kun and The ScorpioN like this.
  5. DIDM

DIDM Honk Honk

Could you imagine the pussies today’s youth are being forced into the military?

MPD-Psycho and Patrick Carey like this.
  6. The ScorpioN

The ScorpioN "GET OVER HERE!"

What kinda commie shit is this?

7. Kafir-kun

Kafir-kun Al Far'oun

Democratic People's Islamic Republic of Kekistan
    Why? Not that I think that's a crazy position, just wondering.

I've thought about this as a policy for the US except I'd only require mandating enrollment in the reserves. They only ask for one weekend a month and two weeks a year, not a grand commitment that can be balanced against education or another career.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  8. Phr3121

You must be too young to remember that the U.S. draft system ended in 1971. Did that make us commies?

9. SIRGAY HARITONOB!

Because then you're complicit. And at 18, you dont have any clue what it is you're doing.

Patrick Carey likes this.
  10. Kafir-kun

Kafir-kun Al Far'oun

Complicit in what?
    That's part of the reason for such a thing. Military service was traditionally a right of passage, an experience that turned boys into men. Enrollment in the reserves is likely not quite so transformative but at least its an occupation that pays and one that creates a shared national experience of discipline and service among young men(I say men because I agree with @snakedafunky that women should be exempted).

11. SIRGAY HARITONOB!

I agree with the reasoning and all of that. And yes, taking young men and indoctrinating them is the best bet... but...

I'm just no longer comfortable with the idea of sending young men out as cannon fodder under the guise they are doing right.

I would be a terrible leader. That's all I can say.

12. SRN

SRN SOCRATEEEES

I like that idea, I think it's very important for young people to develop a better sense of duty, community and civility. They have something similar in Switzerland, it's either military service or civilian service. And I believe civilian srvice is actually much longer.

13. Kafir-kun

Kafir-kun Al Far'oun

Oh I agree with not sending young men to die in unjust wars but conscription can help prevent this. If every young male must serve then virtually every family becomes connected to the military in a personal way. Would such a country be quite to support war? I think not.

Look at Switzerland, they have conscription and they're not exactly known for war. Same with Singapore which still has it. In fact many countries which still have conscription are ones not known for war and in practice conscription is basically just a way to create a shared national culture and provide a right of passage for young men. In that capacity I think its a positive force though of course I agree with you that if its used to produce cannon fodder for unjust wars it would be precisely the opposite.

14. n...not crazy

n...not crazy Red Belt

Little Bush talked about it (community service), but it never came to be. I kind of thought it was cool, but idk didn't think it to death or anything.

Kafir-kun likes this.
  15. The ScorpioN

The ScorpioN "GET OVER HERE!"

Yes

Kafir-kun and snakedafunky like this.
  16. Phr3121

17. MayhemMonkey

MayhemMonkey Clearly not as big of a deal as I thought

Id be in favour of this if I wasnt in the UK. I wouldnt want any of my kids swearing to serve a monarch

Black Helicopters likes this.
  18. Black Helicopters

Black Helicopters Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Literally no downside except forcing people to do something they don’t want. Although I guess Europe never respected individual liberties

19. Bald1

Bald1 War Room Can

Community service for new arrivals? Great idea, especially while they're learning the language and need to learn the necessity to assimilate. With the caveat of getting them out in greater society and not serving in mosques of within their own communities. They have no generational contribution to the country that's helping them out so this is the least they could do. I see no downside.

Military service? Nein.

loyalyolayal likes this.
  20. Black Helicopters

Black Helicopters Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Or... or... we could... not?

Kafir-kun likes this.