Economy Germans Revolt Against Wind Power – As Power Prices Spiral Out of Control

i dunno man. i'm all for green energy and renewables but this site is kinda weird.
anyways, nuclear energy is where it's at.
i'd love a world where energy comes only from sun, wind and waves, but so far it's just too poetic to be true.
we'll still be burning coal and gas for a few decades.

That shit is dangerous though fam

It is the second safest form of energy per KWh, actually. More people have died from radiation poisoning making solar panals than from uranium mining or nuclear accidents.

What environmental impact? Those reports that they kill 1/10000th the amount of bird life that domestic cats do?

Wind technology isn't the greatest at the moment but lets be honest here.

Your precious nuclear has resulted in areas being destroyed for thousands of years due to radioactive fallout and has been producing vast amounts of unusable radioactive waste for near on 8 decades.

Now it is LOOKING to turn some of these things around.

8 decades later.

I'm not against nuclear research and investment just because you have a history of destroying the life sustaining ability of areas for 10s of thousands of years. I'm not against wind for having it's problems either.

Different areas around the world will have unique problems and opportunities for energy creation and your one size fits all solution isn't realistic.

None of this is true. Chernobyl had four reactors, one went critical, the other three continued operation for decades after. Also, Pripyat is basically a wildlife sanctuary now. Native Ukrainian species are flourishing in the exclussion zone because there are no humans there.

The issue with nuclear plants is that they're extremely expensive and long to build and it takes decades of operation for the investment to merely break even. Even if we started building these new-gen plants now, they would be made obsolete within a few years of service by rapidly improving solar tech. They wouldn't even pay for themselves.

The best time to plant a tree was 50 years ago, the 2nd best time is now. I'd rather go all in on the tech we currently have than wait for new tech to develop. France has the greenest grid of any large economy, they are also 70% nuclear.

Unfortunately - because humanity has pissed away the last 40 years giving fossil fuel shills airtime, instead of developing viable renewable energy sources, we now have to deal with the consequences. We're now stuck between a rock and a hard place. We cannot continue to rely on fossil fuels - as a species we have to bite the bullet sooner or later and move to renewables - the longer we leave it the harder the transition will become.

Wind power wouldn't be expensive if we'd started to move to it decades ago. Solar would have much higher efficiency rates if it had been invested in decades ago. Nuclear would be widespread, clean and reliable if it had been invested in. We wouldn't need heating and aircon if ground-heat-pumps had been invested in back in the 90s.

Your source that Germans are revolting, is a “stop these things dot com” dedicated webpage to stopping wind turbines. And about 40 people in a staged picture

Should I say Americans are finally sick of legal abortion because “stop abortions dot com” was able to get 40 people together to protest?

Fukushima failed because they built it in the sea. It didn’t have a real tsunami wall that protect it from the occasional massive waves. The generator that was the backup for when the power went off was I a place where it got hit by the tsunami and it was knocked out. So they basically had no ability to stop a meltdown due to location and a dumb location for their backup generator

All that is true except the meltdown was inevitable, but the loss of containment is the real issue and was totally avoidable.. Like Three Mile Island they both had a meltdown and similar design. Unlike Three Mile Island, the Japanese failed for over 16 hours to vent off the hydrogen and pressure, which is what you do to keep everything safe. We were screaming at our screens in real time when it was happening like watching a sports game, "Vent Off!" But, unlike North America, the Plant Manager on site cannot make that call in Japan. The local political force must approve it for some insane reason. Well, they asked for permission and after 16 hours did not receive it... that is when the first unit exploded and containment was lost. Then the next... and the next. It was a totally preventable tragedy. They would have survived the quake and Tsunami with no issue had they just vented off.

here ya go....to bad germans are probably too retarded here

The state of New York recently began shutting down it's nuclear power plant. They don't seem to have a realistic plan on how to replace it. Imagine power prices in New York will be going higher and higher.

The state of New York recently began shutting down it's nuclear power plant. They don't seem to have a realistic plan on how to replace it. Imagine power prices in New York will be going higher and higher.
i suspect there are interconnections with neighboring states and power is available at market prices, as anywhere, no? i am not familiar with the US grid but i would imagine the total output is enormous.

All that is true except the meltdown was inevitable, but the loss of containment is the real issue and was totally avoidable.. Like Three Mile Island they both had a meltdown and similar design. Unlike Three Mile Island, the Japanese failed for over 16 hours to vent off the hydrogen and pressure, which is what you do to keep everything safe. We were screaming at our screens in real time when it was happening like watching a sports game, "Vent Off!" But, unlike North America, the Plant Manager on site cannot make that call in Japan. The local political force must approve it for some insane reason. Well, they asked for permission and after 16 hours did not receive it... that is when the first unit exploded and containment was lost. Then the next... and the next. It was a totally preventable tragedy. They would have survived the quake and Tsunami with no issue had they just vented off.
I’ll have to look it up. I think two things were different. They didn’t have a backup generator that could start venting.
And they stored spent fuel in or near the core. It’s been years since I read about this Were they waiting on the fax to be allowed to vent? I know they faxed their status

I am not sure that I agree with their assessment but good on them ,I guess, for not be blaming the jews, again. I doubt it will cause much outcry if they start throwing wind turbines into a crematorium.

giphy.gif

That's the problem with nuclear, when things go bad they go really bad. If a wind tower gets damaged, the worst thing that's going to happen is flying fiberglass that won't contaminate the soil making it uninhabitable for thousands of years.
I'm not a nuclear geek but I do enjoy the topic. I usually watch Plainly Difficults channel and then do research from there.

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about fracking?

Nuclear power is too expensive to competite with anything in the U.S.. Natural gas, wind, and solar beat it to hell.

None of this is true. Chernobyl had four reactors, one went critical, the other three continued operation for decades after. Also, Pripyat is basically a wildlife sanctuary now. Native Ukrainian species are flourishing in the exclussion zone because there are no humans there.

I guess we are going to forget that in europe people were taking iodine tablets and were afraid to play outside, all cattle in many countries was slaughtered, top soil was removed and sent away. That is europe. You know jack shit was done in russia.

I guess we are going to forget that in europe people were taking iodine tablets and were afraid to play outside, all cattle in many countries was slaughtered, top soil was removed and sent away. That is europe. You know jack shit was done in russia.

Safety proceedures that are followed during any chemical accident. You do realise that mining the material for solar panals is extremely toxic, as they are radioactive too?!

If you have a problem with clean ups, do you propose we stop making industrial chemicals because of Bhopal?! Chernobyl was designed in the 1950's, they knew it was flawed design before the first one was even built, the lead operator shut down every safety mechanism to feed his ego, then his own narcissism stopped him from deescalating the event, and even then, the area stayed open for workers fot decades. You can actually go to Pripyat now you know, it is a tourist destination.

Nuclear power is too expensive to competite with anything in the U.S.. Natural gas, wind, and solar beat it to hell.

Because they all get tax credits, and nuclear doesn't. The only unaided energy sourced that beats nuclear on price per KWh is hydro. But there aren't many unexploited hydro sources left in the world.

They are already rationing power in NY State. The engineers I talk to online who got made redundant and moved state or industry are having a good ole cynical laugh at Cuomo and Albany.

Because they all get tax credits, and nuclear doesn't. The only unaided energy sourced that beats nuclear on price per KWh is hydro. But there aren't many unexploited hydro sources left in the world.

They are already rationing power in NY State. The engineers I talk to online who got made redundant and moved state or industry are having a good ole cynical laugh at Cuomo and Albany.

This isn't accurate. Go read through the EIA's Levelized Cost of Energy (LCOE) annual report. Nuclear can't compete in the markets. That is why Entergy just closed Indian Point.

Back