German Volume Training?

NeoOsiris

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has heard of this before and if what experiences they'd had with the program. Is it BS or actually good? I don't know. Thanks in advance.

What is volume training?

If you're talking about the 10x10 program (that supposedly Schwarzenegger used way back in his teens) then it's an OK idea for some basic bodybuilding.

I could write about this topic for pages and pages, but it's already been written. I see a lot of people talking about the 5x5 program, the this n that, progam and so on.

The magic's not in the sets n reps of various exercises. For strength training, it's all about picking a couple compound movements (like deadlifts and rows for back for example) and then warming up and the working some heavy 1-3 rep sets of deads (where the last rep of the set is really tough and you have to use less than perfect form to get) and then doing some heavy sets of 4-10 reps for rows (again where the last rep of the set is really tough) and then finishing up with a couple bodybuilder type exercises like low cable rows or 1 arm dumbbell bent over rows and banging out a few sets of 8-12 reps each where the weight really starts to get heavy at the end of each set.

Pretty much anybody can get a solid workout in in about 30-45 minutes (not counting warm ups and cool downs) and you can increase your intensity (as your gains slow) by decreasing your rest time between sets, by adding weight to each set or by adding a rep or two to each set. Increase intensity over increasing total time spent usually avoids overtraining.

Again, there isn't a magic sets n reps combination that's the key to more muscles and strength. The magic is training to the point of exertion and fatigue that's intense enough to inspire the muscles to grow to accomodate the demands without training to the point of over exertion and fatigue where the body is overtrained and gets weaker from being too beaten down.

Stay Strong,
Sean Katterle
Watch the complete 90 minute Bench Monster movie online at Hardcore Powerlifting

When I saw Sean posted in here, I hoped it would be more hilarity.

You disappoint me Metro one.

When I saw Sean posted in here, I hoped it would be more hilarity.

You disappoint me Metro one.

I'm sorry.............I was going to talk about German Volume Training being what ya do during Oktoberfest but then I got caught up writing about weight lifting.

I'm sorry.............I was going to talk about German Volume Training being what ya do during Oktoberfest but then I got caught up writing about weight lifting.

Priorities dude, priorities.

I use a volume program periodically..

Usually I use bodyweight, meaning if I weigh 230, I put 230 on the bar. I do 5 reps per minute for 20 minutes.
Works best with compound lifts.

GVT has its uses.

If you've just finished a heavy wt / low rep phase, your body could use the break and recover with some lighter weights at higher volume.

Pros:

so many reps per workout, you can really learn form of all your lifts

rehab and recovery

hypertrophy - some say bigger muscle is able to gain strenght faster than smaller muscle

but it can be very boring for the low-rep-lovers out there.

i like to run a 5x5, then 3x3 when i cannot add anymore to my 5x5. once i cannot add to my 3x3 anymore, i'll take about 60% of my working weight for the final 3x3 and use it for a 10x10 phase.

i'll run the 10x10 until i cannot add anymore, then drop to a 9x9 until i cannot add anymore than 8x8, etc, all the way back to a 5x5.

it's a good cycle and it should keep you progressing for a long time. if you truly burn out, you can swap exercises. db bp for bp, cleans for rows, etc.

If you're talking about the 10x10 program (that supposedly Schwarzenegger used way back in his teens) then it's an OK idea for some basic bodybuilding.

I could write about this topic for pages and pages, but it's already been written. I see a lot of people talking about the 5x5 program, the this n that, progam and so on.

The magic's not in the sets n reps of various exercises. For strength training, it's all about picking a couple compound movements (like deadlifts and rows for back for example) and then warming up and the working some heavy 1-3 rep sets of deads (where the last rep of the set is really tough and you have to use less than perfect form to get) and then doing some heavy sets of 4-10 reps for rows (again where the last rep of the set is really tough) and then finishing up with a couple bodybuilder type exercises like low cable rows or 1 arm dumbbell bent over rows and banging out a few sets of 8-12 reps each where the weight really starts to get heavy at the end of each set.

Pretty much anybody can get a solid workout in in about 30-45 minutes (not counting warm ups and cool downs) and you can increase your intensity (as your gains slow) by decreasing your rest time between sets, by adding weight to each set or by adding a rep or two to each set. Increase intensity over increasing total time spent usually avoids overtraining.

Again, there isn't a magic sets n reps combination that's the key to more muscles and strength. The magic is training to the point of exertion and fatigue that's intense enough to inspire the muscles to grow to accomodate the demands without training to the point of over exertion and fatigue where the body is overtrained and gets weaker from being too beaten down.

Stay Strong,
Sean Katterle
Watch the complete 90 minute Bench Monster movie online at Hardcore Powerlifting

nice post

I tried the German Volume Method a few years ago, but hit a sticking point very early on, I mean you can only tie so many Jews to the end of an olympic bar before you reach full capacity.

I tried the German Volume Method a few years ago, but hit a sticking point very early on, I mean you can only tie so many Jews to the end of an olympic bar before you reach full capacity.

Sig worthy

to the TS: have you tried reading the GVT writeup found in the 5x5 in the FAQ?

Zing!!

Back