Elections German Bundestag elections 2021: End of an era

Fair. Then again, the FDP also contains elements like Kemmerich. So center right should be fair, no?

yes, comparable to the CDU/CSU but with a little more liberal focus.

I am hoping for Italy to take Germany's place or France even. I am just not into the German language and culture. Spain is a long shot

What is your problem with german language and culture? And how does that reflect to european politics so that you prefer Italy or France?

What is your problem with german language and culture? And how does that reflect to european politics so that you prefer Italy or France?

I dont hate German. I want to visit I just like the idea of Italy being a regional power because I have always liked Italy. Idk why I guess faux nationalism and I like the French language over German and its also easier for me to learn Italian given my other bases.

I dont hate German. I want to visit I just like the idea of Italy being a regional power because I have always liked Italy. Idk why I guess faux nationalism and I like the French language over German and its also easier for me to learn Italian given my other bases.

Diego bless

She’s going make someone else find a Final Solution for the refugee problem.

Oh ok, I get it. Thougt you had some policies/historical developments in mind.

I am hoping for Italy to take Germany's place or France even. I am just not into the German language and culture. Spain is a long shot

No southern European state is in any way equal to the task the Franco/German hegemony is going to be the way of it for at least a generation , it's going to fall to them to manage the economic (Northern vs South) and Cultural (West vs East) fault lines within the Union .

[..]
Your observation regarding a lack of reforms is correct, but that's the difficulty of changing when you are winning. Schröder's reforms came at a time when we were in a severe crisis. In general, Merkel was often more administrating than shaping policy through a certain ideological lens or a strategy.
[..]

Absolutely, and again, one could argue that Kohls non-actions led to the drastic, albeit necessary reforms that were implemented by Schroeder. These were largely unpopular reforms, that however, caused Germany to improve their competitiveness. The same hesitance and passivity will require drastic, albeit necessary reforms by a post-Merkel government. That, and of course 2015, is why I think historians will not look at Merkels time favorably. Which is quite disappointing, considering that she is clearly very smart and also pragmatic, but she learned a lot from Kohl in that regard.

How does German foreign policy work? Is it like the US where it can be to a large part the work of the leader of the state?

The country still has virtually no social mobility. I'd rather live in China or pretty much any other country I've visited and I'm German.

@JDragon

How do you think AFD will do? They wont obviously win or choose who is the Chancellor but do you see them entering a coalition?

It is crazy to read to me a major political party is underwatch by the German Feds. They have 89 seats the largest in the opposition block

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dw...the-far-right-afd-an-unending-duel/a-56384323

The AfD has driven out most of the "decent" conservatives (e.g. the economics professors who founded the party because of the Euro bailouts). The migration topic, as I have frequently stated, may give us issues down the road but currently does not win elections. They have tried to become the anti-lockdown party, but the issue there is that the Covid denialist spectrum goes beyond the right wing. They did well in polls during summer when case were low, but now that Covid is raging, they must shoulder some of the blame as cases and deaths are highest.

I expect them to come in between 9 and 15%. Noch coalition. They are not willing or ready, and the other parties consider them to be driven by the extreme right wing and therefore have pledged not to work with them on a federal level.

For those asking about German foreign policy. Generally speaking, multi-lateralism and embeddedness in EU and NATO are most important. If there weren't this attempt to circumvent Ukraine with North Stream 2.

I feel the decision for it was part russophilia in Eastern Germany, part having a former Chancellor in the Kremlin as an advisor (Schröder) and part the wish to secure energy deliveries in the light of our exit from nuclear energy. The big issue there always was the belief that we could somehow get away with it. Now that it is close to completion, this is turning out to be false.

SPIEGEL editorial, highly recommended read:

A Price Too High
Russian Pipeline Is Germany's Greatest Foreign Policy Embarrassment
Click

For those asking about German foreign policy. Generally speaking, multi-lateralism and embeddedness in EU and NATO are most important. If there weren't this attempt to circumvent Ukraine with North Stream 2.

I feel the decision for it was part russophilia in Eastern Germany, part having a former Chancellor in the Kremlin as an advisor (Schröder) and part the wish to secure energy deliveries in the light of our exit from nuclear energy. The big issue there always was the belief that we could somehow get away with it. Now that it is close to completion, this is turning out to be false.

SPIEGEL editorial, highly recommended read:

A Price Too High
Russian Pipeline Is Germany's Greatest Foreign Policy Embarrassment
Click
I just hope Germany can leave behind its almost psychotic insecurity about what other countries think of itself, because of WW2. 17 years of Mutti have left a EU as one of the most inert and ultimately reactive political bodies in the world. there are so many levels of consensus to be reached before doing anything that it is ultimately a calcified structure. first internal consensus, now euroatlantic consensus. the idea that Germany's internal development somehow has to get the vetting of America of all countries is absurd. America would not give one shit about Europe's opinion of the way it handles business, and no amount of common structure memberships can justify this type of bootlicking. The EU destiny is a unique and sovereign one. I for one am tired of looking across the atlantic for permission.

Back