Gerbil: Why BJJ is worth the injuries

Spazzmaster

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
One of the inevitable realities of training is that we will all be injured.

Jeremy Arel (Gerbiljiujitsu) posted this on Facebook in response to a blue belt student's question: Is BJJ worth it?

Toes and fingers will be perpetually injured. The ribs are a freak accident. Some people have it happen regularly, the majority of people it's not an issue for. I can say that as you get more hip movement you will strain your ribs less and less.

You're still trying to figure out when you should tap. I know that sounds kind of crazy as we've all been tapped more times than we can count, but you'll find a comfort zone for tapping.

I'm not going to tell you it will be easy, because it wont, but I can say that BJJ is VERY rewarding in a way nothing else is. You'll find out new and exciting things about yourself that you never knew, some good, some bad, and you'll be ok with both.

BJJ is the longest lasting, most abusive relationship I've ever been in. I've quit, literally, dozens of times, only to find myself back on the mat in the next class.

You're a pretty chill guy and you don't have a ton of ego but as a human, ego is still part of the equation. I can promise you as you come to accept your place in the grappling world your and train for the sake of training you will experience far less injuries.

At the current moment you're still in the discovery phase of learning. This is one of the beginning phases where, sometimes, you dont even know if you are preforming the move correctly. This leads to you making mistakes that can sometimes get you injured because you zig when, in fact, you should have zagged. I can also say, with a fair amount of confidence, the more you train, this less this will happen as well.

I guess the point that I'm trying to make is most of the problems associated with injures will be mitigated through prolonged training (MOST). There will still be mornings where you wake up and your body hates you, but overall the benefits outweigh the consequences.

When you factor in the self efficacy obtained through training BJJ the equation heavily tilts towards "worth it". There is no amount of money that is worth your peace of mind. Walk to your car confidently, play with your children in public confidently, sleep with confidence, and interact with your peers confidently because you know your worth.

Many people go through life thinking they have discipline, fortitude, and grit but few have ever tested themselves. BJJ is real, it's in your face and it exposes all of your weaknesses (emotionally, physically and technically). BJJ forces you to address these weaknesses, fix them, accept them or quit. Those are your options.

I came to the realization, 5 years ago, that I am ok with being a loser. I can go out, give everything I have, try my hardest and accept that losing is a possible outcome. Sometimes my current best isn't enough to get the victory.

Your success, in LIFE, is directly connected to your ability to deal with losing. If you can pick yourself up, analyze the situation, and attack it again then you are a better person. So many people hold back, avoid competition, never try and make excuses because they are afraid to lose.

Losing is part of life. It's reality. Losing doesn't mean the war is lost, it just means you have to regroup and attack differently.

Whereas I can deal with being a loser, I can not deal with quitting. Losing was not a choice, it was a reality. Quitting on the other hand is giving the victory away without defending it.

So many life experiences apply here, too many to write out on facebook.

In closing, training BJJ prepares you for losing and winning. It teaches the value in both and forces you to come to terms with that value. Realize the benefits of BJJ and continue to train!

Credit to Reddit (specifically the BJJ subreddit)

The most abusive relationship I've ever been in.

Are injuries that common? Apart from the odd cut, gash, bruise, swollen limb. I'm yet to see anyone get seriously injured at my school?

What sort of injuries do you guys get at BJJ?

Torn ligaments and meniscuses in the knees and rotator cuffs/labrums in the shoulders are the main serious injuries I see people get in BJJ.

The rib thing is not serious, it normally goes away in 2-3 weeks on its own.

But not everyone gets these injuries, and I can think of other, riskier sports for them.

Personally, I'm a huge advocate of barbell strength training for injury prevention. I used to sprain my knees in BJJ all the time. Haven't hurt my knees or shoulders in BJJ once since I started lifting. My joints are just so much stronger now.

Now the only thing I get is the occasional black eye from a wild knee.

Also, for me the worst "injury" would be being a fat, shapeless couch potato. So yes it's worth it.

Last edited:
In the end we all lose: Our teeth, hair, memories, loved ones and ultimately our own lives.

I have several herniated discs in my neck but I do not blame BJJ. It has made me a better person so the juice is worth the squeeze.

It is how you deal with that lost that defines the quality of ones life.

Torn ligaments and meniscuses in the knees and rotator cuffs/labrums in the shoulders are the main serious injuries I see people get in BJJ.

The rib thing is not serious, it normally goes away in 2-3 weeks on its own.

But not everyone gets these injuries, and I can think of other, riskier sports for them.

Personally, I'm a huge advocate of barbell strength training for injury prevention. I used to sprain my knees in BJJ all the time. Haven't hurt my knees or shoulders in BJJ once since I started lifting. My joints are just so much stronger now.

Now the only thing I get is the occasional black eye from a wild knee.

Also, for me the worst "injury" would be being a fat, shapeless couch potato. So yes it's worth it.

For what it's worth, I've had plenty of ligament strains but no outright tears and at 32 years old I've known far more guys my age and younger who have had full blown ACL tears from recreational basketball than I've seen people needing surgery for grappling related injuries.

But I also remember being 13 and knowing multiple 14 - 16 year old judoka with a "bad knee" that they needed a knee brace for all the time.

Is it worth it? Totally.

I enjoy it immensely, it keeps me strong, and if people want to play the self defense game as Gerbil mentioned the pure self confidence and swagger that you walk with knowing your capabilities and limits is invaluable.

There's a homeless guy of questionable mental health who frequents the alley behind one of my workplaces. The guy has never said a word to me, stops talking when I pass, and at one point actually lowered his cigarette and saluted me (I responded "at ease" and he smiled and dropped the hand, we get a lot of homeless vets in Santa Monica).

I have a coworker who is not tiny (6'2" ~ 160 lbs) but is thin, walks with terrible posture and head to the ground (classic slumped low self esteem posture), is fearful and skittish. The same homeless guy who's quiet and respectful to me at all times told him one night on the way out of work that he'd better keep walking or he (the homeless man) was going to drop my coworker and have his way with that pretty lil blond thing (his girlfriend walking with him). It shook him so badly that he asked not to be scheduled in that location.

I've seen the same homeless guy 3-4 times since and he's 100% non confrontational with me, just looks down when I pass. It blew my coworkers mind when I explained that this man has frequented that alley for years, we have female employees close the location alone all the time and they've never had an issue with him, and that ultimately the weakness in his body language probably invited the verbal aggression.

I've had some pretty terrible injuries, a surgery, some pubalgia will probably be with me until the end of my life and the cartilage of my fingers will never, ever be the same..

But I would do it all again, without thinking about it for even a small second.

Okay, so out of interest sake, majority of these injuries occur during the takedowns or during submissions?

Which part of BJJ is the most risky? A heads up would be cool, so I know where to take it easy. I've been training for quite a while now but never fathomed these type of injuries.

I don't want an ACL tear or cartilage trouble that could haunt me forever.

Last edited:
Ah Gerbil, thank you for that. Lord knows I will never be exceptional, and probably never will be a black belt. There are plenty of times where I mentally quit but showed up later that week like he said. I have been so frustrated, so dissapointed that I was almost in tears. It's good to know I am not alone in that.

Ah Gerbil, thank you for that. Lord knows I will never be exceptional, and probably never will be a black belt. There are plenty of times where I mentally quit but showed up later that week like he said. I have been so frustrated, so dissapointed that I was almost in tears. It's good to know I am not alone in that.
Why don't you think you will ever become a black belt? 99% of instructors reward them based on personal improvement and (I hate to say it but it's true) attendance. Just be dedicated and don't worry about your performance in class and you can get a black belt for sure.

^ Hey, at least the Gentle Art is gentler than the Gentle Way.

Okay, so out of interest sake, majority of these injuries occur during the takedowns or during submissions?

Which part of BJJ is the most risky? A heads up would be cool, so I know where to take it easy. I've been training for quite a while now but never fathomed these type of injuries.

I don't want an ACL tear or cartilage trouble that could haunt me forever.

I think its usually not submissions, but takedowns and sweeps where the person on the receiving end is resisting, falls funny and lands on something wrong.

Instances in BJJ where I got injured:

1. Spazzing noob opponent who heel kicked me in the eye socket ending in my retina getting scratched.

2. Crushed inside the closed guard of a super strong legged guy. Popped my lower rib

3. Sprained an ankle during a wild scramble to get up to my feet

4. Sprained hip joint doing a half guard pass on top.

Rarely do I reply to a post simply to say "thank you!" for sharing, but... Thank you for sharing!

I was toying with the idea of "taking it easy" and skipping out on jiu jitsu tonight, but since reading this post I have committed to catching not one but both classes this evening.

Thank you for the motivation!

Here's my experience on the knee thing.

I started wrestling and BJJ this summer. I dealt with some rib pain early on. It was annoying but not a deal breaker. It was starting to get better as I got more flexible and used to the stress.

Then in a wrestling class my opponent had a body lock from behind in a standing position. He hooked my right leg with his, I dug my foot into the mat, he pushed and we went down. My knee bent sideways and I felt something snap. I didn't realize it at the time but I tore my ACL completely. I also tore my meniscus, ruptured the MCL and suffered multiple bone bruises.

Last week I had surgery to replace the ACL. They put in a graft from a cadaver. Alternatively they can take a piece of your hamstring or the patellar tendon. Dominick Cruz had the same procedure and his body rejected the graft, that's why he's been out so long. I asked the doctor about the likelihood of that and he said it's very rare.

My post operative physical went well. The doctor told me to start working on bending it again. My range of motion has already improved quite a bit. You're supposed to be careful with it for about a month. Within 6 months the cells will divide and your ACL should be good as new. The risk of reinjury is about twice the risk of the initial tear but that's for the population at large. It's probably higher for people who participate in contact sports.

At first I was on the fence about getting back on the mat, but now I'm leaning towards doing it after my rehab is done. Your results may vary.

There are plenty of times where I mentally quit but showed up later that week like he said. I have been so frustrated, so dissapointed that I was almost in tears. It's good to know I am not alone in that.

I think most people who train BJJ will feel this to some degree at one point or another.

Insightful and the truth! Many thanks Gerbil. You bring it to this forum always!

Back