Gerald Meerschaert says Khamzat Chimaev and crew tried flexing on him at host hotel

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by KazDibiase, Sep 16, 2020.

1. KazDibiase "My style is kneeing people in the face."

Gerald Meerschaert is not a fan of some of Khamzat Chimaev’s decisions ahead of their middleweight clash.

The seasoned veteran takes on the undefeated prospect in the main card of Saturday’s UFC on ESPN+ 36 in Las Vegas. Meerschaert (31-13 MMA, 6-5 UFC) has made it clear that he doesn’t like that Chimaev and the UFC have already planned a future bout with Demian Maia before seeing what goes down at UFC on ESPN+ 36 first.

Now, you can add to that list a run-in Meerschaert said the two competitors had at the UFC’s host hotel. Meerschaert said at the UFC on ESPN+ 36 media day that Chimaev tried to stir the pot when the two saw each other in person

“We passed each other in the hallway very quick and he tried to, I think he was trying to talk trash with me,” Meerschaert said. “He just kept saying, ‘Don’t talk too much,’ and I was kind like, ‘Yeah, OK.’ We’re fighting Saturday so we’re not going to do anything now because I want to make money.

“I don’t know what his deal is and not only that, but I don’t think it’s a very cool thing to flex when you got all your friends with you and stuff. I had one guy with me and he had a bunch of guys with him. I get it, you don’t have to like me, I don’t have to like you, but let’s just save it for the cage.”

Either way, Meerschaert believes the encounter reaffirmed the notion Chimaev is in for a rude awakening on Saturday night, one which will spoil his future plans.

“It’s one thing if you name names for after, guys have done that before, or even that you want to fight really often and if you can get another one in two months, but he’s naming dates and names and he’s trying literally trying to set up his next few fights. That rubs me the wrong way.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020...flex-host-hotel/amp?__twitter_impression=true

2. KazDibiase "My style is kneeing people in the face."

3. Peli Brown Belt

Smash him, Gerald

4. Kenny Powerth Jean Belt (Jelt)

GM3 going to pull off an upset and Sherdog is going to say “oh it was just a WW on late notice.”

5. GrayArea Brown Belt

Gerald is coming off very insecure. It seems like the double-booking bothers him because he himself does not believe in himself to beat khamzat.

I think khamzat’s confidence has Gerald imagining the embarrassment if khamzat walks through him and does fight Maia when he plans to.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  6. sampuncher Black Belt

I dont think its insecure at all, i think hes annoyed that hes being overlooked and anyone else would feel the same if your opponent already has a higher ranked fighter than yourself lined up despite the fact he could lose.

7. gspfedkobe24 Black Belt

Walks thru Maia too tbh

8. Grapplefest Black Belt

Don't know why he took so much offense to "don't talk too much". Gerald looking real insecure and eventually will be preyed on on Saturday.

SakurabasEar and cade187 like this.
  9. dildos Steel Belt

damn, khamzat is fucked.

khamzat shouldnt have done that, that was the wrong thing to do.

10. The Witcher відродитися

Ratlip needed his posse to back him up, pathetic

11. usernamee Silver Belt

it was just a WW on late notice

12. Yagadot Green Belt

Gerald has worked this matchup well into his favour imo. Given himself added motivation and created a bit of extra buzz for the fight. Win or lose it’s good that’s he’s become one of the more talked about fighters on the card.

13. winkydinks Banned Banned

Cumshot's got a lot of pressure on him

AssassinFacedBaby likes this.
  14. aali14 Silver Belt

He's got that bully mentality when he's with his crew like Khabib I see

15. gevoudane ʇlǝq ʞɔɐlq

Didnt watch but if the quote was said, it doesnt sound like teach talk to me. Sounds like someone whose english isnt the first language and he's letting him know he wont start anything.

dragovic likes this.
  16. broke as hell Blue Belt

why he eat slap?

kuroro and Peli like this.
  17. MMABr Black Belt

Typical dagestani/chechen behaviour it seems. Even if they back their words in the octagon, they sure like to “intimidate” opponents with their crew around.

18. Failwani Brown Belt

What was Khamzat gonna do if it actually came to blows? Take him down in the lobby and hold him until security shows up?

19. bigmacbub Purple Belt

I think Meer is big and strong enough to not get bullied and thrown around. May see decent striking exchanges early on. But imo Meer is not very athletic at all. I see him getting overwhelmed in the later rounds then subbed. His sub defense is kinda bad. Hoping for a 3 round war though. If Khazmat wins hes legit in my book.

brackis1 and AssassinFacedBaby like this.
  20. Chael_Sonnen I predict a 2nd round KO via spinning backfist.

Most of these guys do mate, its a cowardly move.

Viking Power and Yukito like this.