Georgia says ̶R̶u̶s̶s̶a̶ US department of Homeland Security attempted to hack voter database

klnOmega

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
http://libertyunyielding.com/2016/1...-trump-look-dhs-attempts-hack-voter-database/
http://www.myajc.com/news/state--re...206&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp on Wednesday asked President-elect Donald Trump to investigate the Department of Homeland Security’s apparent attempt to access his office’s computer system.

“Since contacting DHS with these concerns, we have collaborated with the agency and provided extensive, additional information,” Kemp wrote. “Last night I received a letter from Secretary Johnson which lacked any specific information as to the attacks’ intent or origin despite the fact that many questions remain unanswered.”

Kemp’s office detected what he called a “large attack on our system” in November. His staff was able to trace the breach to the Department of Homeland Security. DHS has denied it tried to break through the state’s computer firewall.

Why was the DHS hacking Georgia's voter information?

EDIT:
West Virgina and Kentucky now claiming similar intrusions by the DHS.
http://www.register-herald.com/news...cle_2577108a-1e55-5e84-9da7-c8c82f87106d.html

Last edited:
I am more interested in how you did the thing in the thread title.

The AJC title:

Georgia wants to know if feds behind probe of voter database

Your title:

Georgia says ̶R̶u̶s̶s̶a̶ US department of Homeland Security attempted to hack voter database

<mma3>

The AJC title:

Georgia wants to know if feds behind probe of voter database

Your title:

<mma3>

My second link? The title was "Kemp seeks Trump’s help in alleged DHS hack"

Edit: The article you are referring to first line is "Secretary of State Brian Kemp has asked federal officials to explain what appears to be an attempt by the U.S. Homeland Security Department to breach Georgia’s voter registration database.", so my thread title is accurate.

My second link? The title was "Kemp seeks Trump’s help in alleged DHS hack"

Edit: The article you are referring to first line is "Secretary of State Brian Kemp has asked federal officials to explain what appears to be an attempt by the U.S. Homeland Security Department to breach Georgia’s voter registration database.", so my thread title is accurate.

TFW the second article cites the AJC one.

<mma3>

Is this surprising? I kind of assume that we have people that regularly try to hack into systems to find vulnerability. The fact that some of them were going on after the election seems consistent with attempting to check for such vulnerability.

Also, do we really think that the DHS is going to try to manipulate elections without at least hiding their IP address?

Is this surprising? I kind of assume that we have people that regularly try to hack into systems to find vulnerability. The fact that some of them were going on after the election seems consistent with attempting to check for such vulnerability.

Also, do we really think that the DHS is going to try to manipulate elections without at least hiding their IP address?

There were hacks from them before the election also, and they are saying they didn't do it. If this is a routine security, they should provide that information.

You're right, the DHS is indeed saying that they weren't cyber-security checks. You're wrong in stating that DHS denies that the "attempted hacks" stemmed from their operations. Kemp doesn't like DHS's answer but that doesn't mean DHS is lying. Your libertyunyeilding link is also dishonest in stating that Microsoft disputes DHS's answer given that the actual quote states that Microsoft hasn't answered yet.

And, again, this really assumes that DHS is trying to manipulate elections without even covering their IP address. You recognize how silly that is, right? Honestly this just reads like Kemp is ridiculous.

You're right, the DHS is indeed saying that they weren't cyber-security checks. You're wrong in stating that DHS denies that the "attempted hacks" stemmed from their operations. Kemp doesn't like DHS's answer but that doesn't mean DHS is lying. Your libertyunyeilding link is also dishonest in stating that Microsoft disputes DHS's answer given that the actual quote states that Microsoft hasn't answered yet.

And, again, this really assumes that DHS is trying to manipulate elections without even covering their IP address. You recognize how silly that is, right? Honestly this just reads like Kemp is ridiculous.

No one is importing a motive yet. The idea is that we get an answer as to why they were trying to do it so that we don't have to make up our own motives like that.

Back