Georges St-Pierre uninterested in fight with Anderson Silva ‘right now’

Anderson's not trading well on the stock market obviously.
Anderson vs Shogun makes sense though.

He wants a money fight. A legacy fight is beating Woodley next and proving that he's still the best WW

He proved he was the best WW for a decade. Now he wants to prove he's the best LW. Get it or you need further explanations?

Oh and GSP wants a combination of LEGACY and MONEY fight. And Woodley doesn't provide both, nether does Silva.

GPS apologists grasping at straws.

No real reason to. The only thing gsp is really guilty of is not being clear with his aversion to the Silva fight. As a welterweight he was under no obligation to move up in weight and now as semi retired he has nothing to prove

Could the two all-time greats be on a collision course in a fight a decade in the making?

Probably not, GSP told Submission Radio in an interview this week in Australia. The former UFC welterweight and middleweight champion, who is doing a speaking tour of continent, said that he doesn’t think he’d benefit much from fighting Silva at this juncture.

“Right now, I don’t think it’s a win-win situation for me, because I have a lot more to lose than to win right now fighting against Anderson Silva,” GSP said.

St-Pierre said when they were both champions and the UFC wanted them to fight, he had requested extra drug testing. Silva never tested positive for anything then, but has now popped twice in the last three years. The latter, though, came from a contaminated supplement and USADA gave him a reduced suspension.

The UFC didn’t agree to extra testing at that time, GSP said, though now it uses USADA as its anti-doping partner.

“This fight was interesting at a certain point when I had a lot of contenders in my division,” St-Pierre said. “This fight, if it would have been made, I wanted it to be made with extra performance-enhancing drug testing, which UFC was not a fan about it, because they didn’t want VADA to be a part of it.”

St-Pierre said he also wanted the fight to be a catchweight, because it would be difficult for him to bounce back to welterweight after fighting at middleweight against Silva. The move to middleweight proved a difficult one for GSP last year. Despite beating Bisping, he came down with ulcerative colitis, a digestive issue, after the bout, due to the packing on of pounds.

In an interview with MMA Fighting’s Guilherme Cruz last month, Silva expressed interest in a fight with St-Pierre one day happening.

“Anything is possible in the UFC, man,” Silva said. “It’s a very eclectic company, with a broad vision of the sport. They are going through a new moment, a moment of entertainment, so anything can happen.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

<CanYouSeeMeNow><mma3><DCrying><{cruzshake}><24>

Nothing changes.
GSP still ducks anyone that might bring him issues and tries to get easiest match possible for most gain.
While I don't think it is an issue, I do have an issue with him trying to get belts and then run from the division. This is a lack of respect for the sport of MMA< a sport that gave him EVERYTHING he is today.
I was hard on Conor for doing that, I don't see why i would take easy on GSP (despite not liking Conor and admiring/respecting GSP a lot more).

But one thing I do tend to agree with him.
Fighting Silva now is meaningless. Unfortunately.
Silva has declined while GSP is obviously still close to the top (Haven't fought much to be sure, but he did get the belt from Bisping...however big an accomplishment that is its debatable...).

But I would like to see him reclaim the WW division. THAT would be awesome to see.

Last edited:
No real reason to. The only thing gsp is really guilty of is not being clear with his aversion to the Silva fight. As a welterweight he was under no obligation to move up in weight and now as semi retired he has nothing to prove

king_of_queens_yawn-uid14896018589328-512x289.gif

Funny how MW was too hard to bounce back to WW after. Now he made MW and won and now wants to fight at lightweight. I just want to see this fight. Do it for the fans GSP.

If Gsp really wants the Khabib/Conor fight then I'm okay with this 'right now'. But Silva vs GSP needs to happen. Big draws.

Oh so you cant even admit your use of double standards? Laughable. You're either blind or fucking stupid.

Why would he fight anderson when after beating him with ease morons like you would accuse him of having cherry picked an old man who hasnt win a fight in years?
GSP ducked Silva

WjSJffE.jpg

He’s probably thinking right now it isn’t worth the risk. Also, good point about wanting that Conor money.

lol GSP has to be the most opportunistic fighter in all of mma

Imagine Anderson Silva using words like ”eclectic”

<mma4>

He proved he was the best WW for a decade. Now he wants to prove he's the best LW. Get it or you need further explanations?

Oh and GSP wants a combination of LEGACY and MONEY fight. And Woodley doesn't provide both, nether does Silva.

He didnt even prove he was the best MW yet - he just beat bisping and ducked the real contenders ...

He is handpicking opponents he thinks he can beat and avoiding those he's worried about.

Back