Georges St-Pierre is the best finisher at 170. Or is it Woodley?

Lol how GSP and Hughes best wins include an extremely undersizerd LW. I give as much credit to those wins as I do Jones over the midgets he towered over = none.

Lol how GSP and Hughes best wins include an extremely undersizerd LW. I give as much credit to those wins as I do Jones over the midgets he towered over = none.

Following your logic, Khabib defended his tittle vs a couple of FWs in Conor and Poirier. Got the tittle shot by beating another couple of FWs in MJ and Edson.

Following your logic, Khabib defended his tittle vs a couple of FWs in Conor and Poirier. Got the tittle shot by beating another couple of FWs in MJ and Edson.

Difference between fighters outgrowing their weight class versus midgets moving up, try again lad.

GSP as the Challenger is the best finisher at WW

GSP when he was the WW Champion doesn't

He ( gsp) sure is. Sang me a lullaby like little baby in watching him finishing ppvs( and me). I had to wake up in the morning and read the play by play from mid second and on. In fact - I have no business giving thoughts on gsp fights as I've probably only watched a third of his total cage hours.

Masvidal by far. His KOs of Askren and Till were absolutely amazing.

Wonderboy knocked a lot of people out cold early in his UFC career. His bitchification of Robert Whittaker was 3 KOs in 1.

Johny Hendricks separated a lot of people from consciousness. His run to earn a title shot was incredible.

Carlos Condit's destruction of Dan Hardy is one of the all-time great KOs and follow-ups.

Masvidal only gets to five due to the Ellenberger foot in the cage thing (and Nate’s scar tissue), but he certainly gets bonus points for the way his dispatched Askren and Till.

Not sure why 5 became the magic number here though.

Personally I think the nature of the finish matters (putting someone to sleep versus GSP’s stoppage by lactic acid against BJ).

With that in mind I lean towards Woodley. Koscheck was a bit past his best, but Woodley put him out brutally. Lawler KO speaks for itself. Condit win at the time seemed flukey but we’ve seen a couple others stopped that way since so it feels more legit to me over time. Till put his own neck on a platter, but it took a knockdown and good GNP to get him there. And Kim isn’t too shabby. I’m actually surprised Woodley didn’t have a few more scalps on his way up.

At 170, he only finished Ellenberger and Rory

He has 7 welterweight finishes. Your list makes no sense. You randomly cherrypicked some fights outside of the UFC while clearly overlooked a large number that were in the UFC, so your criteria is just flimsy.

Off topic, but I took a look at Shields’ record to see if he had a case. He definitely doesn’t, but if you’re looking at five best wins (regardless of division) he has a hell of a top five:

Henderson
Lawler
Woodley
Maia
Condit/Kampmann/Daley/Okam

So he lost to GSP but did beat the two post-GSP WW champs that he faced, and also beat the former Pride MW/LHW double-champ. Not to mention getting the best of Maia, who plays the same game that he does.

Underrated fighter. Never getting his striking to a high level resulted in some losses, but man those are some good wins.

Last edited:
He has 7 welterweight finishes. Your list makes no sense. You randomly cherrypicked some fights outside of the UFC while clearly overlooked a large number that were in the UFC, so your criteria is just flimsy.

Could you be more specific?

Regarding Lawler, who are those 7? Apart from Rory and Ellenberger, I forgot he finished Kos and Voelker but I don't think it makes for a more impressive list of finishes at 170 than the already listed in the OP, although now that you say I'd agree he has a case above Alves in that regard

I didn't cherrypick. I looked for topcontenders in the history of the WW division and listed their best finishes at 170. In or out UFC.

I could forget some of course but you accuse me of nonsense and cherry picking yet you don't say why, apart from Lawler which I already explained.
If you can recall any other WW with at least 5 notable finishes at 170 - in or out UFC - I'd love to know about it

Last edited:
Could you be more specific?

Regarding Lawler, who are those 7? Apart from Rory and Ellenberger, I forgot he finished Kos and Voelker but I don't think it makes for a more impressive list of finishes at 170 than the already listed in the OP, although now that you say I'd agree he has a case above Alves in that regard

I didn't cherrypick. I looked for topcontenders in the history of the WW division and listed their best finishes at 170. In or out UFC.

I could forget some of course but you accuse me of nonsense and cherry picking yet you don't say why, apart from Lawler which I already explained.
If you can recall any other WW with at least 5 notable finishes at 170 - in or out UFC - I'd love to know about it

Can't even determine whether you're trolling or not. You seem to be claiming in your OP that 5 or 6 finishes at welterweight is some sort of milestone. Carlos Condit has nearly 30 finishes, and they were all at or near welterweight.

Then you go and begin mixing in random fights such as Nick versus Sakurai, but as I've said, you omit so many others that your list just comes across as random and pointless.

Are you looking for the 5 best wins in comparison between fighters, or most finishes overall?

Off topic, but I took a look at Shields’ record to see if he had a case. He definitely doesn’t, but if you’re looking at five best wins (regardless of division) he has a hell of a top five:

Henderson
Lawler
Woodley
Maia
Condit/Kampmann/Daley/Okam

So he lost to GSP but did beat the two post-GSP WW champs that he faced, and also beat the former Pride MW/LHW double-champ. Not to mention getting the best of Maia, who plays the same game that he does.

Underrated fighter. Never getting his striking to a high level resulted in some losses, but man those are some good wins.

Shields is definitely an all-time great WW and even has a nice top5 list of finishes: Lawler (185lbs), Daley, Pyle, Nick Thomson, Brian Foster.

In my opinion, he has one of the toughest strenght of schedule ever at 170-185, arguably the toughest ever.

To be fair, Okami, Maia and Woodley have a legit case for the W against him. Miller and Kampmann gave him all he could handle too.

Still absolutely impressive resume of course, just saying that an assesment based on the names on his W column could lead to overrate him a bit, considering a good portion of them came via highly controversial decisions. Although he often edged close decisions thanks to his toughness and unbreakable will, to be fair.

Shoutout to Condit aswell, sure he's been covered.

Finished Rory, Kampmann, Thiago Alves, DHK and Hardy

Ellenberger is another one - Brown, Koscheck, Marquardt, Shields

Can't even determine whether you're trolling or not. You seem to be claiming in your OP that 5 or 6 finishes at welterweight is some sort of milestone. Carlos Condit has nearly 30 finishes, and they were all at or near welterweight.

Then you go and begin mixing in random fights such as Nick versus Sakurai, but as I've said, you omit so many others that your list just comes across as random and pointless.

Are you looking for the 5 best wins in comparison between fighters, or most finishes overall?
Im looking for the better top5 list of finishes of any fighter at 170lbs.

It is a no brainer Anderson Silva would hold such distinction at 185lbs. So Im asking for the answer at 170, which isn't such a no brainer. Simple.

Yeah, there are plenty of fighters with dozens of finishes at a lower schelon but, as you can see in OP, its not that easy to rack up finishes over top competition and that's what Im asking for.

Why is Nick vs Sakurai so random to you? It was a WW bout and it's arguably the 5th best finish for Nick Diaz in the division. Yeah, Sakurai was washed up by then but you will have a hard time finding anybody who holds 5 finishes over top contenders at 170 in their prime.

You suggested Lawler, I conceed you had a point so included him in OP. Still, I had to resort to include Steve "The Red Nose Pitbull" Berger to complete a top5 finishes for Lawler at 170, correct me if Im wrong.

Edit - just checked and Diaz finished Gleison Tibau at WW. I assumed it was at LW. I guess it makes for a better opponent than way washed up Sakurai. Then again, Tibau was far from being ranked at the time.

Last edited:
Shoutout to Condit aswell, sure he's been covered.

Finished Rory, Kampmann, Thiago Alves, DHK and Hardy

Ellenberger is another one - Brown, Koscheck, Marquardt, Shields

Yeah Ellenberger racked up a impressive list of finishes over respectable names at 170 but to be fair, they were mostly way out of their prime, not ranked that high by the time Jake finished them, that's why I didnt include him.

Jake also KOed Pelé Landi-Jones in 10 seconds by the way, although again over a way washed up Pelé, far from the man who went toe to toe with Chuck Liddell

Carlos Condit didn't earn a decision victory until his 29th pro fight. He was 23-5 with 23 finishes going into the fight with Ellenberger, almost exactly 7 years after his debut. 23 finishes in 23 wins over 7 years is unmatched in the WW division.

Winnar!

Last edited:
GSP is a vicious finisher when he is in the contender position.

he finished all of his title fights where he wanted a belt.

He just doesn’t finish as a champion. He prefers to play it safe when defending the belt.

Its a two way street. Sure he might be conservative but his opponents were just trying to survive and not get finished. They didn't come after him or put gsp in danger very often.

Back