Georges St-Pierre is the best finisher at 170. Or is it Woodley?

pankrat

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
As conservative as both GSP and Woodley were when defending their belt. Who has a better top5 finishes at 170?

- Georges St-Pierre: Hughes, BJ, Sherk, Serra, Trigg
- Tyron Woodley: Lawler, Kim, Till, Koscheck, Condit

Carlos Condit: Rory, Kim, Kampman, Hardy, Trigg
Matt Hughes: GSP, BJ, Newton, Sakurai, Trigg
Demian Maia: Askren, Kim, Story, Condit, Magny

> The only ones with 5 finishes on ranked competition at 170, that I can recall.
Other standout finishers:

Hendricks: Fitch, Kampmann, Brenneman, Sadollah, Waldburger
Nick Diaz: Lawler, Daley, Zaromskis, Cyborg, Sakurai*
Masvidal: Askren, Till, Nate, Cerrone, Ellenberger*
Pele Landi: Hughes, Miletich, Patino, Cyborg, Monteiro
Lawler: Rory, Koscheck, Ellenberger, Voelker, Berger
Alves: Hughes, Lyttle, Parisian, Mein, Hironaka
Ellenberger: Shields, Koscheck, Marquardt, Brown, Pelé Landi (* most washed up)
Wonderboy: Hendricks, Whittaker, Ellenberger, Clements, Stittgen?

> Usman barely puts toguether a recognizable list of top5 finishes. Fitch and Shields don't qualify neither.

th

Last edited:
Would not any of them easily qualify as top3 in the list of anybody else at 170? Specially BJ.
No?

Serra accomplished nothing save knocking GSP out. GSP getting revenge on a loss he never should have had is not impressive.

BJ has one top win at WW, and lost there otherwise.

Trigg was mediocre at best. Everytime he lost he was finished as well.

No?

Serra accomplished nothing save knocking GSP out. GSP getting revenge on a loss he never should have had is not impressive.

BJ has one top win at WW, and lost there otherwise.

Trigg was mediocre at best. Everytime he lost he was finished as well.

You can downplay them as much as you wish but whenever prime Trigg got finished, it earned a tittle shot, a tittle eliminator or gold. How many times have prime Serra and BJ been finished?

Not many people has finished 5 opponents in tittle contention at 170. Tell me who they are.

Look, I'm a massive GSP's fan. I think he's actually underrated as a finisher (he finished Bisping, something a clean Anderoid Silva couldn't do), but you gotta look at that honestly:

Even tho Hughes and Penn are way better on the "all-time Great lists" (Hughes is the second best WW of all time and top 15 MMA fighters of all-time and Penn is 2nd or 3rd best LW of all-time), Lawler is the real prize here. Lawler at this point was legally unkillable, and was himself murking people left and right before becoming champion. He was a legendary monster who had a win against fellow legendary monster Johnny Hendricks. His chin was made of stones, just as his fists, feet, knees and elbows. He was somewhat of a tough dude.

What I am saying is that Wood's K.O. of Lawler is the highlight of Wood's career, and maybe even the highlight of his entire goddamn life lol
And it gives him the win here. (GSP is still >>>>>>> T-Wood tho. GSP is the GOAT; T-Wood is behind GSP, Hughes, Shields, and Usman.)

I'd argue that the best GSP's finish was that masterpiece he created on Bisping: he calculated that Bisping would be giving his back, waited patiently and put on one of the tightest RNC I've seen in the sport's history. However, it was at 185 lbs.

Look, I'm a massive GSP's fan. I think he's actually underrated as a finisher (he finished Bisping, something a clean Anderoid Silva couldn't do), but you gotta look at that honestly:

Even tho Hughes and Penn are way better on the "all-time Great lists" (Hughes is the second best WW of all time and top 15 MMA fighters of all-time and Penn is 2nd or 3rd best LW of all-time), Lawler is the real prize here. Lawler at this point was legally unkillable, and was himself murking people left and right before becoming champion. He was a legendary monster who had a win against fellow legendary monster Johnny Hendricks. His chin was made of stones, just as his fists, feet, knees and elbows. He was somewhat of a tough dude.

What I am saying is that Wood's K.O. of Lawler is the highlight of Wood's career, and maybe even the highlight of his entire goddamn life lol
And it gives him the win here. (GSP is still >>>>>>> T-Wood tho. GSP is the GOAT; T-Wood is behind GSP, Hughes, Shields, and Usman.)

I'd argue that the best GSP's finish was that masterpiece he created on Bisping: he calculated that Bisping would be giving his back, waited patiently and put on one of the tightest RNC I've seen in the sport's history. However, it was at 185 lbs.

The Bisping masterpiece is a top3 win in GSP's career imo considering the size disadvantage.

Classic GSP exploiting a weakness on his opponent, in this case the left hook on the man without right eye lol. Beatiful performance.

If we count fights at 185 as well though, then Robbie Lawler definitely has a case for best top5 finishes list.

Fellow WWs Marquardt and Maia would put toguether a nice list of finishes at 170-185 as well btw

GSP had decent finishes but nothing too jump out of your seat except the Bisping finish. Finishing Hughes by armbar and Penn by quitting on the stool was more funny than anything else.

GSP is a vicious finisher when he is in the contender position.

he finished all of his title fights where he wanted a belt.

He just doesn’t finish as a champion. He prefers to play it safe when defending the belt.
In an interview once he stated it’s the contenders job to win. And the champion’s to defend.

such is life, he has ZERO decisions as a belt challenger.

He would. Have finnished Kahib too

In an interview once he stated it’s the contenders job to win. And the champion’s to defend.

such is life, he has ZERO decisions as a belt challenger.

He would. Have finnished Kahib too

I have to disagree with you on this one brother. A 40 year old GSP fighting at LW for the first time.

no bueno for GSP.

Honestly, I think if we’re going by names then Masvidal deserves a shout
Till, Askren, Nate, Cerrone, Ellenberger
All very brutal perfomances

Back