George R.R. Martin’s Anthology Series WILD CARDS Is Heading to TV

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
George R.R. Martin’s Anthology Series WILD CARDS Is Heading to Television

Wild-Cards-Series-GRRM-080716a-Dragonlord.jpg

The end may be in sight for HBO's Game of Thrones, but author and executive producer George R.R. Martin is making plans for another of his books to be adapted for TV.

Martin took to his Live Journal account over the weekend to reveal that NBCUniversal-owned Universal Cable Productions has acquired the rights to his anthology series Wild Cards.

"Development will begin immediately on what we hope will be the first of several interlocking series," he wrote.

Melinda M. Snodgrass (Star Trek: The Next Generation), Martin's assistant editor and "right-hand man" on Wild Cards — who created the franchise's Dr. Tachyon, Double Helix and Franny Black — will exec produce. Gregory Noveck (Red) also will exec produce.

Here's how Martin described Wild Cards: "The shared world of the Wild Cards diverged from our own on Sept. 15, 1946, when an alien virus was released in the skies over Manhattan, and spread across an unsuspecting Earth. Of those infected, 90 percent died horribly, drawing the black queen, 9 percent were twisted and deformed into jokers, while a lucky 1 percent became blessed with extraordinary and unpredictable powers and became aces. The world was never the same."

The first volume of the book series was published in 1986 and was a finalist for the prestigious Hugo Award. Twenty-two volumes have been published, with the 23rd installment set to debut this month and three more in the works. The books have been published around the globe and have spawned comics, graphic novels, role-playing games and more.

Martin also confirmed that he will have no involvement in UCP's version of Wild Cards as he remains under an overall deal with HBO and is busy prepping the forthcoming Game of Thrones installment Winds of Winter.

George R.R. Martin's Best-Selling Anthology 'Wild Cards' is in Development at Universal Cable Productions.

Article fails as it calls the book series Game of thrones.

So GRRM does work on other stories. Anyways this is more sci-fi. I think I can get into this. I may even read them first.

Whatever. I hope he can fully concentrate on finishing the the GoT books now

If they want to do a superhero series why do this one? Robert Kirkman's Invincible would be a better choice.

That fat bastard needs to focus on finishing ice and fire. Fuck anything else he's working on.

Sounds cool. Looking forward to this.

Also, now that we are on the subject of GRRM's work being adapted, I want Fevre Dream to be adapted to a movie or a series.

Definitely has potential, will be interesting to see who they cast also.

I think the Walking Dead has more notoriety than Game of Thrones.

It does not, but even if it were more popular... I have watched 6 seasons of TWD, and I didn't recognize the name, is that the writer of the comic?

Yea, most people don't recognize that can's name. Most people these days recognize not only George R R Martin, but also GRRM, Martin, the GOT book writer, etc. Bad arguing point.

Back