George Hackenschmidt catch wrestler, strongman, father of the benchpress/hacksquat didnt eat meat

I’m sure he got that big on raw chicken and unprocessed milk.

So the guy is quoted as saying: "A fare which consists of three-quarters of vegetable food and one-quarter meat would appear to be the most satisfactory…"

That hardly sounds vegetarian to me. Maybe you could say he ate more vegetables and nuts than most?

You don't have to train to failure to make your chest grow, what kind of ridiculous logic is that? So you're saying shoulders grow without failure but pecs don't?

The press was considered much more important than bench. Bench wasn't even a thing as training mirrored real life strength feats and pushing something up off your back is not a likely requirement.

Physical education revolved around becoming more capable rather than pure aesthetics. Aesthetics were informed by capabilities rather than the other way around.

If I remember correctly, the actual Bench itself wasn't used by strongmen of Hackenschmidt's era. Bench Press hadn't been invented: people used the Floor Press to develop the chest.

photoshopping instagram whore

Congrats on reaching a tiny fraction of your potential, George.

I concur with this gentleman... Not on the puss and blood liquid though...

Another thread from this guy :rolleyes:
I hope no one takes your advice seriously, because you don't know shit about exercise/nutrition. Why do I say that? Because I'm actually a graduate in sports science.

So the guy is quoted as saying: "A fare which consists of three-quarters of vegetable food and one-quarter meat would appear to be the most satisfactory…"

That hardly sounds vegetarian to me. Maybe you could say he ate more vegetables and nuts than most?

He is referencing how others eat in comparison. The old-time strongman physique is great, 'vegetarian' or otherwise.

George Hackenschmidt all natural, no steroids and was strong as an ox, big neck, stocky dude, he lived to 90 and was still benching 150 pounds for reps at 80 something

He didn't eat meat but he drank MILK every day, so Milk does a body good. If you can tolerate it.

weight – 204 pounds; height – 5′, 9½″; reach – 75″; biceps – 19″; forearm – 15½″; neck – 22″; chest – 52″; waist – 34″; thigh – 26¾″; calf – 18″

Throughout his life, Hackenschmidt paid strict attention to his diet. He ate a predominantly vegetarian diet, consisting of fruit, nuts and raw vegetables. He very rarely consumed meat and eggs, and objected to cooked foods, as he said "the purest natural food for human beings would, therefore, be fresh, uncooked food and nuts". He also drank 11 pints of milk a day, and avoided alcohol, tobacco and coffee

5 foot 9 and 205 pounds lean muscle
georgehackenschmidt.jpg

Screenshot-2017-04-12-at-3.55.06-PM.png

2733940128_5becf627eb.jpg

220px-Georg_Hackenschmidt_ca._1905.jpg

Hackenschmidt tells you to stop overthinking things,

“I believe I am right in asserting that our Creator has provided food and nutriment for every being for its own advantage. Man is born without frying-pan or stewpot.

The purest natural food for human beings would, therefore, be fresh, uncooked food and nuts … My experience has taught me, that foodstuffs are of secondary importance. There are very strong people who are strict vegetarians, whilst others eat a good deal of meat. A fare which consists of three-quarters of vegetable food and one-quarter meat would appear to be the most satisfactory…
I would shun altogether all highly seasoned and sour dishes. Much has been said lately in praise of sugar as food, but as artificial sugar is an acid-forming substance, I should not recommend it. Natural sugar, such as is contained in dates, figs, and other fruit, is certainly preferable…

Q] But I should eat a lot of protein right?
“I maintain that it is absolutely a mistake to eat a great deal…

Q] What about meat? Surely that’s okay?
“The disadvantages of meat foods are …that nowadays it is most difficult to obtain meat from absolutely healthy animals (I count those artificially fed in stables and pens among the unhealthy ones), and … that far too much flesh food is taken.
In the case of pure vegetable food, excess is less dangerous … Pure vegetables … certainly form the ideal human food …”

So a guy from the early 1900's was strong because he ate vegetables and no meat but drank a shit ton of milk is an expert in nutrition now?

I don't think I would have eaten meat back then either. Food was killing people and there were a bunch of food borne illnesses. Stop posting nonsense unless you are posting to show some historical relevance and not propaganda for your strange cause.

Quick, someone show him the cover of Cosmopolitan to teach him what true health looks like.

Nobody cares some random old dead guy didn't eat meat. Literally, nobody.

Vegetarians drink milk, though. What is it that you're trying to say other than you agree that he was vegetarian?
Vegetarians generally frown on milk being an animal product. It’s somewhat a continuum between vegan > vegetarian

Sounds like quite the genetic freak. I don't think his diet mattered too much. Gallons of milk a day would kill most people.

George didn't believe in training to failure, that's probably why his chest didn't grow, he would bench for strength not aesthetics. He believed in consistent training and to avoid being sore or pushing yourself tot he point of exhaustion.

firas zahabi also uses the same philosophy of not training to failure same does Frank Shamrock they don't push to failure where their body is sore that they have to rest 2 days to recover.
he only did floor press iirc. Bench press as we know wasnt even invented until the 40's and big pecs only got popular since the 50's. That's why all those early strongmen like Sandow have no pecs.

I had Greek yogurt and I am going to work my pecs to failure tonight in honor of this thread. Greek yogurt has milk in it so it is close enough

Sounds like quite the genetic freak. I don't think his diet mattered too much. Gallons of milk a day would kill most people.

Agreed. I didn't start making huge progress in lifting until I upped my protein a lot. I was being cheap with my protein powder cause I didn't want to buy more. When I started making real money I used it as a meal replacement and I got bigger and leaner a lot quicker.

I've always had horrible genetics though when it comes to gaining weight and getting jacked. Every man in my family is thin and frail.

Back