George Foreman vs Lennox Louis vs Sonny Liston

The only good boxing messageboards ever were Boxingtalks Classics board and Delphi.

Everything else pales in comparison.

The only good boxing messageboards ever were Boxingtalks Classics board and Delphi.

Everything else pales in comparison.

Saddo used to be awsome its gone very quiet over the last couple of years though.

Makes alot of sense to hate on the guy who comes to this forum to learn a few things..I mean what kind of douchebag would go on a boxing forum to learn the history of boxing?! :icon_neut

It's not like I came in here saying tyson was the greatest p4p of all time or something. People who dont know should ask. Good people often help. The rotten ones are the guys who hate on people who were in the same position they were at one point and the guys who walk in acting like they know it all when they haven't a clue.

Ill give you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe your just having a rough day.

I wouldn't worry too much. This may be the best forum on Sherdog, but it's still Sherdog. Like being the smartest kid in the special class.

I still love reading this forum and learn a hell of a lot from it, but there's been a real drop in quality recently. It's sad that "lowly whitebelt" FissionFusion managed to gently suggest the thread wouldn't be popular AND give a helpfull response when the "brown belt" MeBig spent 3 posts talking shit.

God, I miss Kid.

If you want to really see a modern day virtuoso, with all the videos you can imagine - look up Lucia Rijker. In my opinion, she is the best fighter (not just boxer, but fighter) in the past 30 years. Totally complete, totally textbook, beautiful to watch her work in the ring - not to mention not hard on the eyes. She looks like Ray Robinson in the ring, albeit a bit slower - but women are slower in general.

And she's a total sweetheart, you can talk to her on Facebook if you like.

That's how I have it as well.

During Lewis' heyday, Big Georger referred to him as one of the best heavyweights of all time.

After Foreman beat Moorer and was champ, George was commentating during a Lewis HBO fight. George commented that Lewis was the champ and he would not want to fight him. Larry Merchant and Jim Lampley told him, "but you are the champ." George repeated that Lennox was fighting like he was champ, and he would never want to fight him. Very humble of ol' George!

If you want to really see a modern day virtuoso, with all the videos you can imagine - look up Lucia Rijker. In my opinion, she is the best fighter (not just boxer, but fighter) in the past 30 years. Totally complete, totally textbook, beautiful to watch her work in the ring - not to mention not hard on the eyes. She looks like Ray Robinson in the ring, albeit a bit slower - but women are slower in general.

And she's a total sweetheart, you can talk to her on Facebook if you like.

Someone posted a couple of vids of her and it was technical perfection. Shame she'll never have someone to truly show what she can do against.

Makes alot of sense to hate on the guy who comes to this forum to learn a few things..I mean what kind of douchebag would go on a boxing forum to learn the history of boxing?! :icon_neut

It's not like I came in here saying tyson was the greatest p4p of all time or something. People who dont know should ask. Good people often help. The rotten ones are the guys who hate on people who were in the same position they were at one point and the guys who walk in acting like they know it all when they haven't a clue.

If you want to be civil, I can sidestep what I'd really like to say and duke it out with you that way. You threw together several fantasy fights, your reasoning for the interest in those fights being that the fighters are similar. Your idea of similar, according to you, is that they are black and have reach & power. That right there, without even mentioning that the said fantasy matchup threads have been done to death by people that know what they're talking about, is enough to make me want to slap you.

If you want to learn about boxing from scratch don't come here and start a fantasy matchup thread- go on youtube and watch some fights. Lewis, Foreman, and Liston were completely different in almost all aspects. If you spent some time watching their fights on youtube and perhaps read the odd article or two (which is what someone who was genuinely interested would do), then this thread never would have been made and I would've never chastized you for your lazy, misguided logic.

If you want to be civil, I can sidestep what I'd really like to say and duke it out with you that way. You threw together several fantasy fights, your reasoning for the interest in those fights being that the fighters are similar. Your idea of similar, according to you, is that they are black and have reach & power. That right there, without even mentioning that the said fantasy matchup threads have been done to death by people that know what they're talking about, is enough to make me want to slap you.

If you want to learn about boxing from scratch don't come here and start a fantasy matchup thread- go on youtube and watch some fights. Lewis, Foreman, and Liston were completely different in almost all aspects. If you spent some time watching their fights on youtube and perhaps read the odd article or two (which is what someone who was genuinely interested would do), then this thread never would have been made and I would've never chastized you for your lazy, misguided logic.

You are the biggest fucking douchebag to post in this thread, moreso than OP.

It's not like sherdog has some great cornucopia of knowledge chilling out in past threads, and it's not like there are really any decent boxing boards anymore. It's not like this kid is going to notice the poignant intricacies of boxing by simply watching fights, when he clearly stated he doesn't know much about boxing.

Stop being a tool. It's not guys like him ruining boxing, it's guys like you. You've clearly never fought, trained, or really done anything - no one with an appreciation for a sport turns down the opportunity to educate another.

Foreman over both. Liston over Lewis maybe. I don't know.

When Liston was on top of his game he was a tough son of a bitch. I also don't think Lewis had to contend with anyone near the talent level of these two, while Foreman and Liston were in the best heavyweight era of all-time.

How on earth were Foreman AND Liston each in the BEST era of all-time?

How on earth were Foreman AND Liston each in the BEST era of all-time?

Ah yes let us go of memory. So what Liston fought Ali in 1965? I think that's right. And he was done but a few years later. George made his charge at the beginning of the 1970's.

So I guess Liston never got to reach the era of Norton, Frazier and Foreman. I suppose it would have been more accurate to state both faced greater competition than Lewis ever did.

My bad.

Ah yes let us go of memory. So what Liston fought Ali in 1965? I think that's right. And he was done but a few years later. George made his charge at the beginning of the 1970's.

So I guess Liston never got to reach the era of Norton, Frazier and Foreman. I suppose it would have been more accurate to state both faced greater competition than Lewis ever did.

My bad.

I'm sorry, bn Liston's case this simply isn't true. He may have run through the top guys of his (short) era but frankly only Patterson and Cleveland Williams hold up. His two fights before Patterson were against people who were at best journeymen and even during his great run (from roughly '59 to 64) there were a number of pretty poor opponents he got to batter.

Liston's fall coincided with one of the greatest era's of boxing HW's... his rise and reign predated it.

Or....... Maybe he's just a terminal asshole.

Nothing wrong with starting a thread, especially when done politely and with humility. I'll apologize FOR the jerk.

It's not like sherdog has some great cornucopia of knowledge chilling out in past threads, and it's not like there are really any decent boxing boards anymore. It's not like this kid is going to notice the poignant intricacies of boxing by simply watching fights, when he clearly stated he doesn't know much about boxing.

Stop being a tool. It's not guys like him ruining boxing, it's guys like you. You've clearly never fought, trained, or really done anything - no one with an appreciation for a sport turns down the opportunity to educate another.

Couldn't have said it any better. What the hell is wrong with that guy?

Thanks to the guys who have my back in this thread. Appreciate that. I got the full Sugar Ray Leonard vs Hearns 1 fight up on my TV yesterday. What a fight that was! Watching highlights is great but ive done that for a long time. Now im to the point where I want to watch all the old fights. Im gonna continue to lurk and post around here and keep learning as much as I can.

I disagree with everything you said.

Thanks to the guys who have my back in this thread. Appreciate that. I got the full Sugar Ray Leonard vs Hearns 1 fight up on my TV yesterday. What a fight that was! Watching highlights is great but ive done that for a long time. Now im to the point where I want to watch all the old fights. Im gonna continue to lurk and post around here and keep learning as much as I can.

I find it fantastic for MMA fans to take an interest in boxing; it means you are becoming more & more interested in the technical aspects of fighting rather than "MOAR ARMBAR!!!!!!!". SRL - Hearns is a fight that's hard to watch because it's almost impossible to believe that this is the same SRL that outclassed and tooled Duran by boxing, yet he's getting just molested by The Hitman. Great fight.

I find it fantastic for MMA fans to take an interest in boxing; it means you are becoming more & more interested in the technical aspects of fighting rather than "MOAR ARMBAR!!!!!!!". SRL - Hearns is a fight that's hard to watch because it's almost impossible to believe that this is the same SRL that outclassed and tooled Duran by boxing, yet he's getting just molested by The Hitman. Great fight.

In the first fight Duran outclassed and tooled Leonard.

The second fight was almost even and competitive (sugar ray leonard winning by majority decision in the scorecards) when Duran "quit". In his biography called "Hands of Stone" it was reported that he went to a hospital because os stomach cramps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back