George Foreman: I didn't want any part of Mike Tyson | Max Kellerman on Boxing

lol

Foreman says a lot of things.......

And Tyson avoided him too
My first thought. He's always spoke out of both sides of his mouth. In my opinion he probably would have never come back without the fuss made over tyson.

Earnie and George probably hit harder overall. Id rather risk trying to dodge Wilders one shot then having to take a combo from George or Earnie, where their power will move you across the ring with an arm punch.
it's wilder reach and leverage that makes him so dangerous, don't get me wrong he is a serious puncher.

anyone actually watch it?

he said he was glad that Tyson was afraid of him. He was custom built, due to his downward punching power, to hurt Tyson, but was glad to not have to get in the ring with him because he was crazy and scary.

He said close to the opposite of what TS is going for.

Yea Wilder has good power in that one shot but I dont think he lands that shot on alot of the old vets.
His power isn't all over like a Foreman or a Shavers.
Those guys, with both hands, and any punch in their rotation, could KO you.
They were harder hitters without question.
Foreman could hurt someone with any punch from any Ngle, off balance, doesnt matter.
Wilder is all about that speed and lining up the long right hand. more like the power in a golf swing.
Shavers, to my eye, was halfway between. his overhand right was shorter, due to stature, than Wilder’s, but it was all about the sequence of power transfer, like wilder. He also hit hard with other punches, but i dont think he had Georges ‘fuck you up’ power in terms of offbalance, or arm punches.

what about vintage foreman. he was the one fighter i would never back tyson against.
Very bad matchup for Tyson. Tyson could do enough early on to get it stopped, but I wouldnt wager on it. Think prime Foreman weathers it and pours it back on him. Decision or late stoppage for Foreman.

Very bad matchup for Tyson. Tyson could do enough early on to get it stopped, but I wouldnt wager on it. Think prime Foreman weathers it and pours it back on him. Decision or late stoppage for Foreman.
if you had to bet on any heavyweight in history to beat tyson, which would it be? for me it would have to be liston or foreman. ali would be an interesting one. he tended to break people that were a bit mentally unstable, but tyson's best punch was ali's greatest weakness (the left hook). ali was dropped by the much slower cooper and frazier, tyson quite possibly could have gotten to him early. also tyson feet were vastly faster than anybody ali faced.

anyone actually watch it?

he said he was glad that Tyson was afraid of him. He was custom built, due to his downward punching power, to hurt Tyson, but was glad to not have to get in the ring with him because he was crazy and scary.

He said close to the opposite of what TS is going for.
don't have to watch it, george hasn't changed. he said he was so afraid of joe frazier that he stared at him to keep him from looking at his shaking knees and said that kenny norton worried him because of his physique. That's george's good, side, the bad side, we saw when the fights happened.

George is just being nice and talking out of his ass.

Prime Foreman v Prime Tyson - would of been epic. Forman was a beast n so was Tyson. I think Tysons iron Chin might give him the edge

My first thought. He's always spoke out of both sides of his mouth. In my opinion he probably would have never come back without the fuss made over tyson.
Meh, he made his comeback before Tyson had unified the belts.
He came back because he was broke.

He wanted the new golden boy. Just like many retired champs do. Leonard came back when hagler,tyson and later, delahoya came along. You think ray wanted camacho? He thought he'd get dlh if he beat macho.

if you had to bet on any heavyweight in history to beat tyson, which would it be? for me it would have to be liston or foreman. ali would be an interesting one. he tended to break people that were a bit mentally unstable, but tyson's best punch was ali's greatest weakness (the left hook). ali was dropped by the much slower cooper and frazier, tyson quite possibly could have gotten to him early. also tyson feet were vastly faster than anybody ali faced.
Foreman for me. I think Tysons blazing speed gives Ali issues he isnt used to dealing with. Though, Ali is about as tricky as it gets and he was a wizard at getting people to take the bait.

But ya, Foreman is my pick for the worst matchup for Tyson.

He came back for the money, it had zero to do with anyone specific. Was Tyson even that much of a global star in 1987?

don't have to watch it, george hasn't changed. he said he was so afraid of joe frazier that he stared at him to keep him from looking at his shaking knees and said that kenny norton worried him because of his physique. That's george's good, side, the bad side, we saw when the fights happened.

I never believed that Georges knees were shaking. I don't think he was afraid at all of Frazier.

He came back for the money, it had zero to do with anyone specific. Was Tyson even that much of a global star in 1987?

I never believed that Georges knees were shaking. I don't think he was afraid at all of Frazier.
You missed the point. He said he was scared and lucky to win. That's George, he didn't mean it.

And the tyson mania preceded the title. Trust me I watched it all. He won the title at the end of 86. Most people think he primed in 88 and he won until 90. Until then george was aiming for him. I just checked, foreman's first comeback fight was in 87, Tyson was champ by that time.

Last edited:
You missed the point. He said he was scared and lucky to win. That's George, he didn't mean it..

I already pointed out that one has to listen between the lines with Foreman. But at the same time, the people interviewing him really believe it.

You're right that George was aiming at Tyson, just like Holyfield and Lennox Lewis. He was the man to beat. But none of them were competing because of Tyson.

I just can’t get over how good and healthy he still looks. In his original run, pretty much everyone he’s fought has passed away. He looks like he could go another 20 years. Besides George Chuvalo I don’t know anyone else still alive from his 70’s run

Tyson is too fast for Foreman

His movement was a lot more calculated than Foreman's and he hits hard too

But who is Wilder KO'ing? George put out the likes of Frazier (twice), Norton and Lyle. Who has Wilder KO'd that is any good? The best that he has fought was Fury, who he didn't give convulsions, in fact many thought that Fury won that fight.

We're not talking about who is the better fighter or who has KO'd the better opponents, or who won the Fury fight. I'm talking pure wallop.

For Deontay to flatline a ranked guy like Breazeale, 6'7", 260lbs, with one punch like that. And then for Breazeale to say that Deontay's power makes Joshua's (who, as we we know, is a huge banger in his own right) power feel like a woman's slap (or whatever it was he said)... that's ungodly punching power in that right hand.

that fight with ron lyle was brutal always good to hear foreman. I miss him as an hbo anylist he was always on point.

Back