George Foreman Documentary

SandaKicker

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

Fan film on arguably the most unlikely comeback ever in sports.

Details of Foreman's career that aren't commonly discussed;

Foreman has said he was hurt by Ali's punches in the rumble in the jungle, he has also gone on record saying Ali's punches didn't hurt, so he has contradicted himself.

When Foreman lost to Jimmy Young, Young fought as much like a soccer player as a boxer. He initiated several clinches so that he could create distance between him and George, then after initiating the clinches he would complain to the ref that Foreman was skirting the rules.

Foreman almost flew off the deep end after the loss to Jimmy Young. Friends and family were concerned about his mental health. His publicist said he was "off his rocker" which is quite an unusual thing for a publicist to say.

At around 320 pounds and after 10 years of no boxing training, Foreman called out prime Mike Tyson (I'm sure most know that but it's still amusing).

Michael Moorer fought like a tactical dunce against Foreman, seemingly caught in two minds as to what was the best strategy to employ.

If you look at some of Gil Clancy's quotes during the fight;

"I'm surprised Moorer isn't moving there he's fencing with George"

"Again Moorer is fencing with a bigger man"

"Moorer needs to counter more or take risks with his left hand, George has taken more risks with his right hand than Moorer has with his left"

Lampley:

"I think he thinks he's gonna knock him out and he's gonna do it by standing right in front of him"

"I think he thinks he's taken Foreman's power and it's not gonna hurt him, that could be a big mistake"

Drawing a diagram from those words it's not that unlikely that the way the fight played out Foreman managed to land a big punch though it was unlikely.

Has anyone seen the 2017 production "Foreman" ?
It has a pretty good rating on imdb... That and "Pariah: The Lives and Deaths of Sonny Liston" are on my to-watch list.

It has a pretty good rating on imdb... That and "Pariah: The Lives and Deaths of Sonny Liston" are on my to-watch list.

I’ve seen it I thought it was pretty good

Saw it, I think it is or was on Showtime. I liked it a lot, especially how during his comeback, he couldn't even run, so he just started walking around his property. Can't even run for 2minutes, to winning back the HW title.

I honestly always thought his comeback is a little overrated in terms of what it did for his career. Its a cool feel good story and all but he fought mostly bums, got some questionable decisions, lost to some B level guys , blatantly ducked a few and beat arguably the weakest HW title holder to date at the time. I don't think that being old when you win necessarily = greatness.

I’m going to watch this but as far as comebacks in sports all time. Much greater stories.

George made it seem like most people were waiting for the grave at 36 and 36 and after is a death sentence.

I love his comeback though but just stating the obvious and I’ll watch when I get the boys to bed

I honestly always thought his comeback is a little overrated in terms of what it did for his career. Its a cool feel good story and all but he fought mostly bums, got some questionable decisions, lost to some B level guys , blatantly ducked a few and beat arguably the weakest HW title holder to date at the time. I don't think that being old when you win necessarily = greatness.
Dude he was 45, pretty much anybody else wouldn't have done it.

eh, not sure I agree other fighters couldn't have beaten Michael Moorer at 45.

It wasn't raising the standard in terms of boxing skill and athleticism by any means.

But if nothing else I think you have to give him props for being incredibly tough and determined.

His head was beaten to a point of being unrecognisable in several of his comeback fights.

George Foreman 2.0 fought:

Qawi
Cooper
Cooney
Holyfield
Stewart
Morrison
Moorer
Briggs

And was not knocked down.

George Foreman 2.0 fought:

Qawi
Cooper
Cooney
Holyfield
Stewart
Morrison
Moorer
Briggs

And was not knocked down.
eh, so what? He lost to Briggs, lost to Holyfield, took a ferocious beating from Stewart, getting a questionable decision win - lost to Morrison and only one of those guys is a great fighter. whats Moorer known for aside from being the guy who made Foreman immortal?

eh, so what? He lost to Briggs, lost to Holyfield, took a ferocious beating from Stewart, getting a questionable decision win - lost to Morrison and only one of those guys is a great fighter. whats Moorer known for aside from being the guy who made Foreman immortal?
He directed "Roger & Me".

Back