Genuinely don't see the potential you guys see in DC

lol at DC being fat as a reason to not win, go back to the beach TS.

It's very foolish to rule out DC as a very legitimate threat, but I don't see him winning. I see either guy in for a very tough outing should they be victorious, though.

Dissappeared within days? Hahaha, dude he was in the hospital straight after the fight. Didn't get back to training for at least 3 months, if it wasnt 6. Your point about heavyweight is stupid as well, as you have to look at the opposition, not the division.

"Looking at the opposition" w/out taking into account the division is impossible since the opposition is defined within the context of the division. HW has always been shallow w/respect to other divisions. You actually dispute that? It has fewer competitors, spread over a much larger range of weights (otherwise there would be too few individuals to really populate the upper divisions), and there is a large siphoning off effect of the largest talented athletes to other high-dollar sports such as basketball or American football. This isn't really even controversial.

He went to the hospital immediately afterwards and so did Gus. You think it is either 3 or 6 months that he couldn't train? It couldn't have been 6 months of no training. Do you think he fought Glover with a 4 week training camp after sitting on his ass for 6 months straight? I know he's good, but he isn't Superman. At most he took off a couple of months as is pretty normal for him (apparently he hasn't been staying in the gym between camps). Actually, both he and Gus got 60-day medical suspensions after the fight and I in fact do believe that he was taking it easy going back into training but not because of damage to his face which was what your original comment centered on. More likely it was his foot after kicking Alexander with it so much.

the fact that DC can hold his own and at least hang with Cain is reason enough.

The consensus second best HW (JDS) has nothing for Cain and we all know he would murk Jones.

That might very well be an advantage. Look at the longivety of Hendo / Couture, both starting late in MMA.

Henderson had been in the sport for 10 years when he won the Pride belt. They both were fighting early in MMA (late 90's) and wouldn't have come into contact with anything comparable to Jones who was apparently someone with a LOT of athletic potential (his accolades in wrestling were excellent at the point at which he gave it up even though didn't get to pursue that path). Also, that fact is evidenced by his dominance in the UFC as the youngest champion and now the record holder for most title defenses in LHW history. Even Cormier will tell you that his athletic prime was in 2008.

And even if I grant you the point about Randy and Hendo having staying power, neither one would be typical, anyway, and I would bet money that both would have had more success if they'd entered the sport at a younger age. The same could be said and has been said by the likes of Mark Coleman who was in the same age bracket as Randy. Henderson was younger than both of them by quite a bit and I really think he has slowed down a lot of late.

I don't get the Cormier hype either. He has elite wrestling and heavy hands, that's it. There are countless fighters with those attributes and none of them have been particularly impressive or lasted very long at the top.

body-fat-percentage-men.jpg

At least 20%.

If your going to post that diagram, at least post his weigh in pic from yesterday when he was flexing, I would post it but can't. Based on that pic and your diagram, he is below 15%, probably closer to 13-14%.

I like your point- he slammed the shit out of Barnett and he floored Bigfoot- knocked him silly and shut him out as bad as Cain did if not worse.

The thing is with Barnett and Cain, I feel Cormier had an elite skillset that cancelled out their best skills (Barnett and Bigfoots top games). They couldn't employ what they do most effectively because Cormier is too good in that facet. His superior boxing combined with that skill made it a bad night for both Barnett and Bigfoot.

But with Jones, his standup is almost as effective as his wrestling/top game so if Cormier robs hm of his ability to use takedowns because of his wrestling prowess, he still finds himself in a problematic fight with a guy who is a very tricky, sneaky striker- being able to attack from distance as well as to stifle and strike in close quarters like he did against Glover.

I see that as the difference. Against heavyweights like Roy, Mir, Barnett, and Bigfoot (all large and very solid fighters overall) Cormier had the wrestling advantage AND the striking advantage. Against Jones, he may have the wrestling edge but I think he will find Jones' striking and reach very difficult.

Plus Jones is not the type of dude to get wrestled down and broken down with GNP. He was taken down once in the UFC as far as I could count and when Gus did take him down, it was for about two seconds.

Some good points made. It seems that Cormier uses his advantage in the clinch to close the distance and punish people with his striking. I'm convinced he will do the same to Jon.

Went pretty much as expected.

Based on the BJ Penn-like reaction in the post fight interviews/conference too, seems like DC might hang it up sooner rather than later. This is what I meant when I talked about potential. At 35, this loss is gonna impact him a lot more than a loss would have impacted Jones.

Back