Genuinely don't see the potential you guys see in DC

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by FierceHitman, Jan 2, 2015.

1. FierceHitman

FierceHitman Green Belt

Not a fan or hater of either DC or Jones to be frank, and I think they're great fighters. I'll be rooting a bit more more for DC only because a lot of Jones' fans annoy me, but to be honest I really don't see DC winning. He's 35, has a lot of fat on him, and I believe has less fighting experience than Jones, who is 27, in his prime, athletic, versatile, and supremely confident in himself.

But apart from this fight, lets say DC wins, how much longer can he really go at 35 years of age? How much more can he realistically improve before he slows down? I don't see him defending the belt that long. Best of luck to the both, no disrespect meant. Just an observation, based on their age mostly.

2. Jeffplsgo

Jeffplsgo Brown Belt

So he's gonna lose because he has fat on him. Solid analysis bro, must be why Fedor sucked so bad.

3. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

Have you watched any of his fights?

4. FierceHitman

FierceHitman Green Belt

Kinda cherry picking my comment a bit there bud, dont you think?

5. Dbreiden83080

Dbreiden83080 Danger Zone

He is 36 in March so even if he wins his window of holding the belt is rather small.

6. theincognito

theincognito Brown Belt

DC can go well into his 40s much like Couture - started late but great wrestler and hasn't taken the MMA wear and tear.

But he's getting submitted tomorrow.

7. FierceHitman

FierceHitman Green Belt

I'll be honest, my passion for mma died out last few years. Ive seen a handful of cormier fights. Not that impressive. The Barnett one was crazy. Bigfoot knockout was sick. Hendo fight was...well does anything need to be said? :icon_lol:

But frankly, these guys are at the tail end of their careers when DC fought them. Granted, a lot of the big names Jones beat have the same issue, but the difference is Jone sis 27 and in his prime. He looks like hes gonna be around for a while. My main thing is, at 35 it probably won't be long before DC falls off. Again, no disrespect meant to the guy.

8. Jeffplsgo

Jeffplsgo Brown Belt

So he's 35, thats why he's gonna lose then?

9. schwe30

schwe30 Black Belt

A lot of the potential is Jones haters reading way too much into DC slamming Barnett and Hendo. They think he's gonna be able to do it to Jones simply because they hate Jones. Honestly, it's just guys wanting to see Jones lose.

Also, a lot of people here only use the last fight as a basis for how good a guy is. Guys finish a fight with a specific move, and people claim they'll use it to beat the champ. When Shida KO'd CB with a liver kick, people were starting threads about how he'll beat Weidman with a liver kick in a rematch.

10. ufcfan4

ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

Not necessarily though. He's not battle damaged. Shogun is like four years younger than him but is like 10 years his elder in fight age by comparison. Guys like Big Nog are around his age but have far more mileage on them.

As for the OP, well man he's well rounded- has a lot of skills in every facet of the fight. He's also shown himself to be a quite intelligent fighter. The problem is that Jones has skills everywhere and is also a very intelligent fighter.

Jones also has a lot of reach and definitely has the better striking when it comes to kicks so I think DC is going to have to eat a bunch of shots to close the gap.

11. Ianstaine

Ianstaine Purple Belt

I think the first Cormier fight i saw of his was against Monson. His learning curve over the next few fights was probably greater than anyone i can remember, a quicker rate than Jones imo. The guy just looked 5x better every time he fought. I guess you could say he had a hiccup with Mir, but man this guy is really incredible.

12. Dbreiden83080

Dbreiden83080 Danger Zone

I watched him fail to impress against either Frank Mir or Nelson. How exactly did he not violently finish Frank Mir when virtually every elite heavyweight that man has fought in the last couple of years has beat the ever loving shit out of him? He was actually scared to go into Frank mirs guard. Brock Lesnar went into the guard and almost killed him at UFC 100.

13. Ziggyjuarez

Ziggyjuarez Blue Belt

No damage means age isn't a problem.

14. RepairManManMan

RepairManManMan Banned Banned

in n4 jones is knocked out

15. Anung Un Rama

Anung Un Rama Idol of Millions Platinum Member

I said the same thing 2 years ago

16. LEXTHEANARKIST

LEXTHEANARKIST Purple Belt

Reasonable concern (dont know if thats the right word for TS post) i suppose. I honestly think if Cormier wins, jones will take the belt back in a rematch. Just hope its not an immediate rematch and we get to see DC vs Rumble.

17. Deceptijon

Deceptijon Blue Belt

Barnett wasnt out of his prime completely .I think the Cormeir fight was one he took seriously and trained to the best of his ability and barring those injuries he would have performed better .Both guys had injuries .Barnett camps just aren't as consistent nor dynamic as most modern contenders

18. FierceHitman

FierceHitman Green Belt

Partly. I believe he's going to lose because his opponent is better at him in almost every aspect of the game, mentally he's supremely confident in himself and also because he's in his prime whereas DC is 35 and I see the effect of that being potentially exposed. Of course I could be wrong, in fact I hope I am too.

19. Jeffplsgo

Jeffplsgo Brown Belt

Because Cormier, who has dominated every opponent, and never lost a round in MMA, must have self estem issues, and the dude who just got beaten like a rented mule, and his face turned into a hambruger, has the confidence 'advantage'? Your 'analysis' leaves something to be desired.

20. ufcfan4

ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

Cormier played it safe to try to avoid the Mir Curse. Always an intelligent dude, he operated under the notion that if you beat Mir by decision rather than stopping him, you avoid the curse of losing your next fight out.

And indeed Cormier did become the only man to beat Mir and the avoid losing in his next fight (other than Brock but that's a technicality due to Carwin also being cursed). However, when Reem tried the decision strategy, he still got knocked out viciously by Big Ben next fight out so it proved that Cormier's being spared was merely a result of the curse apparently skipping to the next person if someone beats Mir before the previous person who beats Mir fights again..(ie Mir lost to Barnett before Cormier fought Nelson so The Curse jumped from DC to Barnett.

Or so the legend goes.