genetics

ROcknrollracing

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I am assuming it takes the right genetics to be a top notch olympic lifter or powerlifter. What would be the differences in genetic makeup for each of these disciplines? How big of a role do genetics play in any sport for that matter?

Interesting question. Genetics affect PL and OL in different ways. You've certainly got your proportions and how they affect your leverages--I, for example, was given the genes for long humeri and femurs, and the former really helps me when it comes to deadlift (but is a disadvantage when it comes to bench or, hell, rowing). There may also be genetic components to how quickly one does or does not develop his or her musculature--again, to use myself as an example, it MAY be the case that I'm genetically more predisposed to "grow" muscle at a quicker rate than many women, particularly in my upper body. If one has this particular predisposition, it can be an advantage in attempting to build a muscular base that will support one's PL or OL efforts.

That said, I think a third component one could consider in answering this question involves the psyche--I wonder if genetics play into one's ability to mentally navigate these sports. THIS really becomes a nature versus nurture argument, but I'm inclined to think that one's genes play a certain role in one's mental tendencies and that may in turn affect one's mental game for lifting.

You don't know what your genetic limits are until you hit them. Most people will never work hard enough, long enough, or in the right manner to even get close.
Rather than worrying what genetics may be stopping you from doing at the highest level, just train and find out how high your highest level is.

Almost no one (probably no one ever) can actually reach their genetic potential. There is just not enough productive years in peoples' lives.

That said, I think a third component one could consider in answering this question involves the psyche--I wonder if genetics play into one's ability to mentally navigate these sports. THIS really becomes a nature versus nurture argument, but I'm inclined to think that one's genes play a certain role in one's mental tendencies and that may in turn affect one's mental game for lifting.

I agree. Motivation and resilience are very underrated in an aspiring athlete.

From a practical point of view though, getting a good coach and folowing an adequate training program is easier to influence.

Your genetics give you a variable range that is your potential; your environment(training, nutrition, recovery methods, etc) pinpoint how far you'll go within that range. Almost certainly it is impossible to reach elite levels in pl, oly, or any other sport for that matter without having great genes for said activity. In the case of pl, it would be the ability to recruit a great deal of fast-twitch muscle fibers and generally gaining mass easily(basically not being an ectomorph). Even in the absence of ideal dna, though, most people can do fairly well under the proper conditions.

Last edited:
2-238.jpg

Pictured: genetics.

A lot of people are shifting towards thinking that genetics play a much lesser role in athletic success than was previously believed. I tend to agree, mostly because my knee-jerk reaction to genetics/talent/giftedness is that it's mostly nonsense to begin with.

Good genetics for lifting or any sport are just like any other talent: so common millions of assholes waste their potential every single day. Try harder not be one of them.

People also seem to use them for an accuse, hell I did. Not having good genetics and succeeding at something trumps having them and succeeding.

You cant change your genes, so its pointless too worry about them.
If your "born to lift", or your great at your given sport, you still have to work your ass off, to get to a elite level.

Andy Bolton deadlifted 600 pounds the first time he deadlifted. It took him 20 years of hard work to put on those 400 pounds, that would lead to a world record.

There was a review recently published in BJSM about genes vs training:

What makes champions? A review of the relative contribution of genes and training to sporting success -- Tucker and Collins -- British Journal of Sports Medicine

What makes champions? A review of the relative contribution of genes and training to sporting success (2012)

Abstract
Elite sporting performance results from the combination of innumerable factors, which interact with one another in a poorly understood but complex manner to mould a talented athlete into a champion. Within the field of sports science, elite performance is understood to be the result of both training and genetic factors. However, the extent to which champions are born or made is a question that remains one of considerable interest, since it has implications for talent identification and management, as well as for how sporting federations allocate scarce resources towards the optimisation of high-performance programmes. The present review describes the contributions made by deliberate practice and genetic factors to the attainment of a high level of sporting performance. The authors conclude that although deliberate training and other environmental factors are critical for elite performance, they cannot by themselves produce an elite athlete. Rather, individual performance thresholds are determined by our genetic make-up, and training can be defined as the process by which genetic potential is realised. Although the specific details are currently unknown, the current scientific literature clearly indicates that both nurture and nature are involved in determining elite athletic performance. In conclusion, elite sporting performance is the result of the interaction between genetic and training factors, with the result that both talent identification and management systems to facilitate optimal training are crucial to sporting success.

Your genetics give you a variable range that is your potential; your environment(training, nutrition, recovery methods, etc) pinpoint how far you'll go within that range. Almost certainly it is impossible to reach elite levels in pl, oly, or any other sport for that matter without having great genes for said activity.

This is correct.

A lot of people are shifting towards thinking that genetics play a much lesser role in athletic success than was previously believed. I tend to agree, mostly because my knee-jerk reaction to genetics/talent/giftedness is that it's mostly nonsense to begin with.

Source?

I've never seen a genetic, and so I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a good and a bad one. Therefore, I keep telling myself that I have super-good genetics, because it beats the crap out of having bad ones, and it seems to help my training more than fatalistically placing a ceiling on myself would.

I've never seen a genetic, and so I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a good and a bad one. Therefore, I keep telling myself that I have super-good genetics, because it beats the crap out of having bad ones, and it seems to help my training more than fatalistically placing a ceiling on myself would.

There you go. Nothing I hate more than that bullshit "champions are born, not made" saying.

Great attitude.

No studies or anything, just "talk around town" so to speak. I want to clarify - the prevailing opinion where I am seems to be slowly shifting, and my reaction is to agree with it - I make no scientific claims here. My opinion is as useless as any other, though (in my view) worth sharing on a forum.

Back