Genetic Limitations

Hulk Hogie**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I feel like I have maxed out my potential physically. I've trained consistently for about 3years (To clarify, I've worked fairly consistently for about 12 years but stepped up the intensity and consistency in the past 3) and no matter what I do I just can't get a BFP lower than 10-12% I've tried it all. High calorie/high protein, low calorie/high protein, going alcohol free, distance running, weight training and every conceivable combination. I weigh about 163 and I'm 5 ft 9. I'm currently consuming about 1800-1900 calories per day and it's a very balanced diet. The problem is, I can go up in weight or down in weight but the muscle and fat seem to go on/come off at about the same rate. So I never get leaner, just bigger or smaller. Is it possible I've just reached the limit of my genetics?

How old are you? 3 years isn't really that long of a time, even if you've been consistent.

How old are you? 3 years isn't really that long of a time, even if you've been consistent.

26 years old. I've worked out as long as I can remember but really stepped it up to 5 days a week with few exceptions in the last 3 years. Even so, once you're in reasonably athletic shape, does getting a lower BFP really happen over a course of years? It seems like once you get down to 12% or so it has more to do with nutrition and solid training over the coarse of the past few months. Even pro athletes will bulk up and cut back down over the course of months in on/off seasons

Don't flatter yourself. You haven't touched any limits yet, you just aren't training seriously enough. Try going 6 days a week, 2 times a day, and you will see more results. If you're not willing to do that, then stop whining about your "genetic potential".

And as to losing fat and muscle at the same time, it sounds like you're gaining/losing weight too fast if that's the case. Fat has to be lost slowly if you want to retain strength.

I feel like I have maxed out my potential physically

You haven't, maybe you should re-evalute your training and diet cause i'm pretty sure that one or both of those are holding you back

It sounds like you're looking for an excuse to start juicing. If you haven't already figured it out from the responses here, you are no where near ready to do that yet.

If it sounds like a troll, acts like a troll, and looks like it genetically maxed out at 12% body fat......It is a troll.

Whats your workout like?

You said you workout 5 days a week. What do you do during each day?

Is it possible I've just reached the limit of my genetics?

There was a thread earlier that had info on body types and genetics...yatta yatta. Anyway a poster brought up a link with info that could be useful to your situation. Fenuplex was the basic supplement ..I don't have any experience with it but others have swore by it(its not some crazy drug) Read the links...might be very useful to

TMAGNUM FORUMS - Thib Results: Poliquin's Insulin Protocol

Fenuplex ? A Secret Of My Success

Leading Personal Training and Personal Trainers in London. Ultimate Performance

Whats your workout like?

You said you workout 5 days a week. What do you do during each day?

THANK YOU! Refreshing to get one serious answer. I try to mix it up. Lift each muscle group once a week but have tried twice a week on each muscle group too. Usually cardio consists of running distance or swimming or sprints. I do both weights and body weight resistance. Also try to mix up heavy/light with the weights and high/low reps.
I guess the one answer I got to the thread that might make sense (even though the guy was being a dick like everyone else who has answered so far) was that to break thru that barrier you have to go pretty extreme (6 days a week, twice a day was his recommendation) That just seems ridiculous. What I'm interested in is getting lean, no necessarily in fighting shape ( I think there is in fact a difference). And I would think that going low cal, high protein and 5 intense workouts a week should do the trick. I mean if you're burning more than you're consuming, and what you are consuming is geared toward maintaining muscle then you should burn fat. Does that make sense?

There was a thread earlier that had info on body types and genetics...yatta yatta. Anyway a poster brought up a link with info that could be useful to your situation. Fenuplex was the basic supplement ..I don't have any experience with it but others have swore by it(its not some crazy drug) Read the links...might be very useful to

TMAGNUM FORUMS - Thib Results: Poliquin's Insulin Protocol

Fenuplex ? A Secret Of My Success

Leading Personal Training and Personal Trainers in London. Ultimate Performance

thanks for the tip. that's good info. appreciate any feedback i can get.

for the record, i don't see what's so ridiculous about my question. i've been at a plateau for awhile and want to get past it. ok, maybe it's wrong to presume i've ''max'd out'' my potential but the question is still valid, ''I'm eating well, eating light and training hard, what other advice do people out there have?''
No reason to be a cock when someone's looking for advice

You haven't maxed out, it just seems you've completely adapted to your training to where the point where you're in consistent maintenance...

Have you tried a different program? Something completely different that you're not accustomed to?

Seems like your training is the problem. Go read the S&P faq.

People are being 'dicks' because it's presumptuous and insulting for someone like yourself who trains very casually to think they've "maxed out", when you really haven't hit a serious level. Now that we've gotten past that though, I think you already know your answer. Doing the same thing will not help. Doing something different might. Doing something harder definitely will. It's all about your personal drive.

People are being 'dicks' because it's presumptuous and insulting for someone like yourself who trains very casually to think they've "maxed out", when you really haven't hit a serious level. Now that we've gotten past that though, I think you already know your answer. Doing the same thing will not help. Doing something different might. Doing something harder definitely will. It's all about your personal drive.

Well said.

People are being 'dicks' because it's presumptuous and insulting for someone like yourself who trains very casually to think they've "maxed out", when you really haven't hit a serious level.

I think a lot of people need to lighten up. He obviously doesn't know he hasn't hit a really serious level. Thats why hes asking. Everybody is on a different level of knowledge..doesn't mean he is a troll because he thinks he maxed out. If anything hes bashing himself since he thought his genetics were crap. And there some legitimacy to his question because there are a lot of human beings walking around on this planet that could train with his exact regimen and get great results(Or shall I say the results hes looking for)). Hes obviously is not one of them and needs to redefine what he thinks his limitations are both physically/nutritionally because he isn't genetically gifted.

Back