Generational talents.

A guy like Benitez was incredibly talented. He learned some of his craft fighting grown men in unsanctioned bouts as a kid but you've got to be insanely gifted to beat Cervantes over 15 rounds at 17.

Shit, forgot about Benitez.

Great post.

I can't believe someone is arguing Pacquiao isn't a generational talent. Pacquiao rewrote boxing history.

• First ever 7 weight world champion
  • First ever 8 weight world champion
  • Oldest welterweight world champion in boxing history
  • First ever fighter to win a world title in 4 different decades

Manny started his career at Light Flyweight, which is 6 weight classes below what Floyd started at, and went on to win titles in 8 different weight classes.
Yea hes a generational talent, even if he lost to Floyd.
This.

Reactions: Ruv
Manny and Floyd. Canelo is on the verge.

The issue is you are taking it far too literally and missing the point as usual of how the term is used. Under your logic the 2nd best fighter of all time is not a generational fighter if the best fighter of all time happened to be in the same generation, while the 50th best could be generational. See the stupidity of your logic?
yeah god forbid i consider “once in a generation” to mean once in a generation.

Usyk has not proved to be even close to that.
Sure, for average murcian.

In murcia majority of boxing fans are judging boxers from their origin.
While not alone boxing, not only steam machine had been imported from " bad" europe together with euro immigrants in row.

While thinking how cool is area etc.

Even these: Teller, Ulam and Fermi had delivered more than all world's boxers together. :)
Nothing wrong, origin is core to base evaluation.
Tribal things.

I can't believe someone is arguing Pacquiao isn't a generational talent. Pacquiao rewrote boxing history.

• First ever 7 weight world champion
  • First ever 8 weight world champion
  • Oldest welterweight world champion in boxing history
  • First ever fighter to win a world title in 4 different decades
so what’s even the point of the thread? lmao might as well have called it “name some good fighters”

what about pacquiao makes him a once in a generation fighter? i would think being the best fighter of your generation should be #1 on the list of criteria and he’s not that.

also lol @ usyk and inoue.
Are you fuckin tidwell in disguise?

Foreman was a centennial talent IMO. There will never be a fighter who is more superior over better competition. He's the boxing version of a Jon Jones with power.

The Baer bros from the 30s and 40s are ones who come to mind who had incredible physical gifts but sort of underacheived with them.

If Usyk can clean up the HW division he will be up there, Canelo is there now, Pac has been there for a very long time

Aren't all the fighters who are at the top of the GOAT list generational talents? You can't be the best at a sport if you don't have generational talent...

Sure, for average murcian.

In murcia majority of boxing fans are judging boxers from their origin.
While not alone boxing, not only steam machine had been imported from " bad" europe together with euro immigrants in row.

While thinking how cool is area etc.

Even these: Teller, Ulam and Fermi had delivered more than all world's boxers together. :)
Nothing wrong, origin is core to base evaluation.
Tribal things.
You are obsessed with hating America. You belong on a watch list.

A guy like Benitez was incredibly talented. He learned some of his craft fighting grown men in unsanctioned bouts as a kid but you've got to be insanely gifted to beat Cervantes over 15 rounds at 17.
Chang was a like that too. He should have beaten Zapata the first time they fought and he was 19.

yeah god forbid i consider “once in a generation” to mean once in a generation.

That's not really how anyone uses it across sports, though. In hockey, for example, the two greatest offensive talents in the sport's history (Gretzky and Lemieux) came around within 5 years of each other and are universally considered generational talents despite being effectively from the same generations. The same goes for the big 3 in tennis, who are all, without essentially any exception, considered by observers to be generational talents. Holding it to common sporting standards, it's impossible not to consider Pac a generational talent.

In Germany many would say Sven Ottke is a generational talent I guess.
Yea I know I guess you mean world wide recgnized ;)
Hes just on TV in a reality show, which in english would be called something like "Baking with the stars(baking cakes)"

On topic, what is the difference between generational TALENT and best P4P or best of his era (overall/division)?
Maybe one could argue Wilder is close to one, if he would have knocked out a little better competition. He relies solely on his 1 talent.
Or Fury, beeing able to fight like he does at his weight and size.

And I think they can be more than 1 per Generation.

Floyd and Pacquiao are both generational talents. Who you rank higher comes down to personal opinion.

The way I see it, Floyd is better, while Pacquiao is greater.

Germany?
Henry Maske was best tickets seller - boxer Germany ever had.
Maske in ams was Olympic Gold medalist, World Championship Gold medalist etc.
His lineage is from Manfred Wolke, his coach Wolke was Olympic Gold medalist.

Maske also had fought vs Ottke in ams and beat Ottke.

To be fair, Ottke really was true world class boxer, ha just was installed to fight in Germany cos they needed some big tickets seller.
Only later, when Ottke was over the hill, in some fights they yeah, u fight vs Ottke, ref and judges.:(:D
While the same Maske they allowed to " beat " on judges cards in Germany.

In reality, I think, that Angel Espinosa was better than both: Maske and Ottke, cos he was 3-0 vs Maske in amateur fights. :)

As for U.S?

Dempsey. Only alone maybe.

Dempsey was unique because ha was successful pro boxer while he was Self taught.
At least during first years as a pro boxer, he was poor and even could not use proper gym, not alone to pay for training.

Only with unique natural talent someone might start good pro boxing career, being self taught.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back