Genealogy (23 and me, Ancestry etc)

So if my grandfather has no living male children, this won't work to find more about him, right?

Sorry - Are you male or female? Is this your grandfather on your mom or dad's side? For instance, both my dad and his father are still alive but I could test myself and would have the same Y marker. If it was my mother's side, I would need a male relative to test.

Found out that my dad's bachelor uncle was the unacknowledged father of my friend's mother. We call each other "cuz" now.

Sorry - Are you male or female? Is this your grandfather on your mom or dad's side? For instance, both my dad and his father are still alive but I could test myself and would have the same Y marker. If it was my mother's side, I would need a male relative to test.
I'm male looking at my mothers father.

I'm male looking at my mothers father.

Yeah, unfortunately you'd need a male relative on the mother's side. Your best bet is ancestry.com and checking family trees. There's a lot of bad data out there but chances are someone out there or documents you can find.

Yeah, unfortunately you'd need a male relative on the mother's side. Your best bet is ancestry.com and checking family trees. There's a lot of bad data out there but chances are someone out there or documents you can find.
I've used 23 and me in conjunction with ancestry and have done quite well, actually. We know more about my grandfather than he ever did.

I will not get a genealogy test for a couple of reasons. One of them is that I likely have some kids out there that I don’t want to know about.

I will not get a genealogy test for a couple of reasons. One of them is that I likely have some kids out there that I don’t want to know about.
I mentioned earlier about helping a girl on 23 and me find her father and it turned out to be my cousin. I didn't really think when I started helping her that I'd be telling someone they have a whole family they don't know about.
Luckily he was a happy about it.

That’s great he was happy about it. Personally...I don’t want to know.

Not that interesting when all your family is descendent from poor farmers but i would like to do it<Fedor23>

The DNA test is very appealing to me, but both my grandparents were from very small and remote places in the country... I doubt it would add anything interesting beyond knowing I'm a successful result of plenty of cousin-to-cousin marriages that only got better after the XIX century rolled in.

The DNA test is very appealing to me, but both my grandparents were from very small and remote places in the country... I doubt it would add anything interesting beyond knowing I'm a successful result of plenty of cousin-to-cousin marriages that only got better after the XIX century rolled in.
<{jackyeah}>

But seriously, cousins marrying each other really wasn't taboo not too many generations ago.

I paid for my parents to have theirs done.

Nothing too shocking but I did find that my dad has a 4th cousin here in the remote town where I live. I googled the guys name and it turns out he owns one of the local weed shops. So, that’s alright.

<{jackyeah}>

But seriously, cousins marrying each other really wasn't taboo not too many generations ago.
Not joking, I has the hottest 2nd cousin growing up. If they were into me, I would’ve been down.

I found out my grandfather was half swiss. What are swiss people? They yodel and wear clogs?

Back