Gene LeBell Passed Away

I always felt like he definitely deserved the appellation "Hooker" if anyone did. Here's a guy who learned at the feet of Ed "The Strangler" Lewis as a young boy and later, from Lou Thesz, Vic Christy and Karl Gotch and who put those lessons to use in live sport grappling through judo. He's got to be considered a HUGE part of catch-wrestling history.

My understanding is he also had a major role in the development of Hayward Nishioka, as well as of course, countless others like Neil Melanson, Karo Parisyan, Ronda Rousey, Roddy Piper, John Lewis and others. And of course, he also had a major influence on Bruce Lee himself.

RIP Gene LeBell, Godspeed.

Gene Lebell was the kind of man who lived enough life for ten men put together. A pioneer, trailerblazer, one of the craftiest sunovabitches to ever step on a mat... and a great friend to all who knew him.

This has been a rocky week for those in the world of grappling; but in this case at least, there's no need for regrets, only honor and glory for the legacy he left behind, and all the lives he touched along the way. He did all he needed to do on this world and then some.

Rest In Peace, Gene, you were a real one.

Last edited:
RIP to a real grappling legend

Definitely leaves behind a great legacy and will not be forgotten!!

He was a truly great martial artist and fighter who pioneered MMA. He was tougher and braver than 99% of people and knew how to talk. He'd have been a huge star if he was around today. It's a shame that he's only really known to proper martial arts fans.

MMA pioneer who saw everything.

His death makes Kenji Kurosaki the only survivor from the same era.

He was also a way more badass taxi driver than Robert DeNiro in Taxi Driver.

MV5BYTliYjA5MDQtZjJlYS00NjAwLTkwY2UtNTBlODI1MWZiYjU1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIwODk1NTQ@._V1_.jpg

Gene-LeBell-Rush-Hour-e1494626410759.jpg

I always felt like he definitely deserved the appellation "Hooker" if anyone did. Here's a guy who learned at the feet of Ed "The Strangler" Lewis as a young boy and later, from Lou Thesz, Vic Christy and Karl Gotch and who put those lessons to use in live sport grappling through judo. He's got to be considered a HUGE part of catch-wrestling history.

My understanding is he also had a major role in the development of Hayward Nishioka, as well as of course, countless others like Neil Melanson, Karo Parisyan, Ronda Rousey, Roddy Piper, John Lewis and others. And of course, he also had a major influence on Bruce Lee himself.

RIP Gene LeBell, Godspeed.
RIP. I believe he helped teach out of gokors academy and I think he also was gokors instructor. I believe that’s where gokor got his catch wrestling.

No disrespect to Bruce Lee, but gene already had multiple black belts in karate, judo and boxed and is actually a mix martial artist, although he was repping judo in the fight against the boxer. Rip Gene.

RIP. I believe he helped teach out of gokors academy and I think he also was gokors instructor. I believe that’s where gokor got his catch wrestling.

No disrespect to Bruce Lee, but gene already had multiple black belts in karate, judo and boxed and is actually a mix martial artist, although he was repping judo in the fight against the boxer. Rip Gene.

Yes, Gene was on the coaching staff at Hayastan in North Hollywood for many years. That's where I met him.

Back