Gemma Protein Isolate Powder from True protein?

Andy Rickert

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
Anyone tried this stuff out, at under $5 a lb, it seems like a good deal? Anything I should be wary about with a pea protein

I'm bumping this post because I have the same question.

Nothing to be scared of in my opinion.

That's such a ridiculously good price. I'm thinking about ordering a few pounds of it to see how it is.

Found this too.......

2/15/2003 Amino acids lysine and arginine present in pea protein isolate do the trick.

Slimming food enriched with protein is rapidly growing due to booming markets in hyperproteinated food in France and High protein - Low carb food in the US and UK, like eg the Atkins diet, based on "hyperinsulinism" (excesssive insulin production when carbohydrates are consumed, which in turn would cause fat storage, diabetes, and a craving for more carbohydrates). Proteins are widely used in weight reduction products due to their lower caloric content than fat (4 kcal/g versus 9 kcal/g for fat) and because they cannot be deposited in the body under the form of fat. Vegetable proteins are of particular interest in weight reduction diets because they are much less accompanied by fat and cholesterol than animal proteins and thus contribute to balanced food formulations. Pea protein isolate is highly suitable for slimming food due to its high content of certain amino acids: lysine maintains the lean body mass and arginine increases the muscle mass while reducing body fat. Pea protein is the perfect protein source for high protein pasta. Millions of people enjoy eating pasta on a regular basis. High protein pasta can be manufactured with pea protein, combined with wheat semolina and egg white. This yields in a tasteful product with a protein content of more than 50% and a well-balanced amino acid profile, fitting the FAO requirements for adults. Depending on the thickness of the pasta, the cooking time may be reduced to 5 minutes. A blind taste panel of the final product shows that the product has a good taste and an excellent texture. This high protein pasta is highly suitable for people on a diet or for sports people. The high incorporation of protein in pasta allows the consumer to take up high amounts of protein without having to mix and eat powders and water. In general, mixing pea protein with other protein sources like milk, eggs or cereal proteins results in a lower cost and a better amino acid profile of the product. People with special needs or constraints towards food will find pea protein to be an excellent solution, due to the low level of anti-nutritional factors in pea protein and because pea protein is free from common allergies and GMO-free. On top of this, pea protein is neutral in taste and colour and can be incorporated in a wide range of food products such as bread, desserts, bars, ready meals or powder blends.

I just posted about this a few times in S&P. I have been getting my regular "anytime" protein mix with 50% MPI/50% Gemma lately for the cost. The only manner in which it is inferior to dairy based proteins is in taste and texture. I would NOT recomend getting a 100& Gemma mix, the taste is a bit chalky and bland and it does not dissolve all that well compared to whey. I like getting it mixed with MPI so that way you get a mix of fast, medium (I've heard Gemma most closely compares to egg protein in digestion rate), and long digestion rates. The MPI masks any of the unpleasantness of the Gemma and it's about $7 a pound for a great protein blend.

I would only order a pound to see how you like it. Some people like it and others say it tastes like crap.

Myself, I stick with the Isolate Cold-Filtration. Easy to digest, mixes easily, no after taste

i ordered it a couple months ago, honestly, it tasted like crap, i now mix it with a scoop of whey protein to dilute the taste so i can get rid of it

i wanted to add on here that, if anybody ever considers buying the soy protein from trueprotein, be wary of it's 'mixability.' I ordered about 5lbs. of it from them and no matter how much water I use, it turns into a foam and leaves me bloated as all heck. absolutely miserable protein to take.

Why would you be using soy anyways? let alone 5 pounds of it.

1. i wanted to try it out
  2. it's cheap
  3. it's a pretty good protein
  4. i think soy protein can be a valuable addition to my diet.

1. Ok, but why
2. So is whey concentrate, rice protein, or gemma
3. Not really
4. How and why?

1. Ok, but why to see if i like it or not and to see how my body reacts and performs while taking it.
2. So is whey concentrate, rice protein, or gemma you are right. i didn't want to use gemma because it doesn't mix well, but rice protein would've been a good choice. i should've gotten a few lbs of rice and a few of soy and see what i liked better
3. Not really i've read a few articles and i think the only problem i've found is low bioavailability
4. How and why? just by giving me a more varied protein profile as well as taking me off dairy completely (again, I just want to see how my body does)

answers in blue

1. Fair enough, and how are you going to measure that?

2. good idea

3. you sure about that? Do a simple search around here

4. I can understand no dairy. But otherwise you can have lots of variety with non dairy protein without resorting to soy.

1. Fair enough, and how are you going to measure that?

2. good idea

3. you sure about that? Do a simple search around here

4. I can understand no dairy. But otherwise you can have lots of variety with non dairy protein without resorting to soy.

i've done a few searches on here and found a bunch of dorks regurgitating the same 'soy makes you a woman' nonsense. the people that i trust on the boards regarding nutrition have stated that there are studies on both sides of the fence as far as soy is concerned.

i'm all about reading more and learning. i won't ask you do do the searching for me, but if you could suggest a better resource or better way to search, i'd really appreciate it.

in retrospect, i got too much of the product, especially for just wanting to try something new. i should've gotten a lb. or two of each and gone from there.

after reading the VERY good berardi article that is linked in the D&S FAQ, I've decided that a more appropriate mixture would be to use 1scoop of rice protein along with 1 scoop of soy. this would provide a better non-dairy protein source for a cheap cost.

So, as the title of this article hints at, we want people to re-freakin-lax when it comes to soy. Moderate doses of whole-food soy proteins really are no big deal.

overall, what I gleaned from the article is that soy is just fine as far as gaining muscle, body composition, and testosterone is concerned as long as its taken in moderation.

i've done a few searches on here and found a bunch of dorks regurgitating the same 'soy makes you a woman' nonsense. the people that i trust on the boards regarding nutrition have stated that there are studies on both sides of the fence as far as soy is concerned.

i'm all about reading more and learning. i won't ask you do do the searching for me, but if you could suggest a better resource or better way to search, i'd really appreciate it.

in retrospect, i got too much of the product, especially for just wanting to try something new. i should've gotten a lb. or two of each and gone from there.

Then you didn't read the proper ones with Entropy and others.

I have some things for you I will find them. But just saying that there are better ways to go about things.

so basically there's no problem with Gemma aside from it's bad mixabliity? I just bought some from trueprotein and it's on it's way...

Back