gel wraps or traditional

xilliun

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My current pair of wraps are starting to fall apart because the velcro was poorly attached. Figured I may as well get a new pair. Currently having some pain in my wrist when I throw hooks to the head/body on the heavy bag. Technique is fine, just joint pain :|

With that in mind, should I continue using mexican wraps or would a gel pair be better? I've never used the gel ones before and was considering buying some but wanted to see what you guys thought of them first.

Check your Wrapping Technique
Check your Hook Technique. Even if it is "fine" throwing a misfire every now and then can screw up your tendons for a long time.

Mexican wraps will give you way more support.

Lay off of the hooks and let your wrist heal or it will never go away.

Gel wraps are for the most part a waste of money. They wear/compress quickly and cost about what 3-4 (or more depending on price) sets of traditional wraps would cost.

1. learn proper wrapping technique, like anything - practice this.

If there's pain it's either technique or just an injury but you have to figure out where the injury came from

2. Learn technique that you have issues with that can cause injury at a steady pace, like shifting gears start slow and you will then eventually have speed and power.

Alright mexican wraps it is, thanks! I had a chat about wrap technique with my trainer tonight and basically I'll go through a few different styles to see which one best suits me.

I think the injury came from throwing hooks on my bag at home, only recently hung it up again and the sand has less give than a brick wall now. Not fun but that's the only thing I can put it down too. Though I've only been practicing muay thai for just under 4 months now so is it that my wrist strength is still building up?

Alright mexican wraps it is, thanks! I had a chat about wrap technique with my trainer tonight and basically I'll go through a few different styles to see which one best suits me.

I think the injury came from throwing hooks on my bag at home, only recently hung it up again and the sand has less give than a brick wall now. Not fun but that's the only thing I can put it down too. Though I've only been practicing muay thai for just under 4 months now so is it that my wrist strength is still building up?

I primarily do BJJ now, but still try to get in boxing/muay thai when I can.

My wrists hurt the first few classes. Wraps certainly help.

Over time and through lifting weights and other various exercises I was able to control my wrist movement better, and actually able to recall a shot if I knew I was going to land crooked. You can't always do that though.

Hooks look simple but take time to learn properly. Are you a palms inward or palms downward hook guy? Generating power from the throw or via hip movement?

I try to snap my hooks for speed and effectiveness...almost like you were trying to rip a patch off the cheek of their headgear.

Another vote for the 180" Mexican style wraps here.

:icon_chee

Gel wraps are a waste of time and money, especially if you train daily they will fall apart easy.
Learn the right technique on how to wrap knuckles and wrist.

Gel wraps are horrid, I made a few pair basically explode until I learned a year or three ago.

Back