Gel hand wraps

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by Green Poncho, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Green Poncho

Green Poncho Brown Belt

I'm hoping to start training in September and I have a real problem with traditional hand wraps: I am absolutely hopeless with them.

It's embarrassing but regardless of the instruction with them and the internet it takes me nearly half an hour to get them on and I do such a bad job of it I wouldn't be surprised if the caused me more harm then good.

So imagine my surprise and joy while browsing Everlast's online store that they have slip on hand wraps.

My big question is this: how well do they protect the hand compared to traditional hand wraps and can they be used in sparring (not concerned about actual bouts since I'm quite sure that's my corners job [or at least for most professionals it seems to be] and unless I want to get my ass kicked I'm not likely to even enter a amateur bout for around two years)?

If it makes any difference I'm 20 years old, turning 21 in a few months.

+EDIT+ Slightly off topic, does Kombatgear.com do MMA shorts? They only appear to have kickboxing/boxing shorts.

2. Rocked

Rocked Brown Belt

I bought the gels thinking they would be better than the cotton, but they are not. Don't waste your money on the gel wraps.

3. awid

awid Red Belt

my gels fell apart from the occasional use(30 min twice a week) under 16 oz gloves in a month or two.

4. Green Poncho

Green Poncho Brown Belt

Fuck. What brand were you using?

5. awid

awid Red Belt

everlast. they were red.

6. a dead stick

a dead stick Orange Belt

Unless you are wailing on the heavy bag as hard as you can, which you shouldn't be doing if you are a noob anyways, you don't really need hand wraps, IMO.

You should spent a good deal of time developing proper technique without relying on wraps in the beginning. When you start out on the heavy bag they are important, but ideally you should eventually be able to strike as hard as you can without needing them.

In terms of just light sparring in the class, you shouldn't be throwing hard enough to really hurt your wrists or break hand bones should you simply land a bad punch.

7. Rocked

Rocked Brown Belt

I was using everlast, aka Neverlast as well.

8. xilliun

xilliun Brown Belt

2 guys where i train have been using them for a while now, say they're just as good as cotton wraps. can't remember what brand though. will check tonight.

9. Green Poncho

Green Poncho Brown Belt

Thanks guys.

10. stupidnub

stupidnub White Belt

there isn't a trainer there that could wrap your hands?

11. Green Poncho

Green Poncho Brown Belt

I dont know yet, Im not having my first class til September. It just seems so embarrassing, I'm nearly 21, it's like asking someone to tie my shoes for me.

12. stupidnub

stupidnub White Belt

If it's a class, there should be someone there that can wrap your hands. Just ask for help and say you're never done it before. Nobody will make fun of you for it.

Honestly I would rather help and wrap someone up instead of let them go out using those shitty gel glove wraps. They provide almost no support at all.

13. madizm2

madizm2 Brown Belt

If possible, practice wrapping your hands as much as possible in your freetime. Don't feel ashamed to ask for help from somebody. It's better to have your hands wrapped properly rather then looking like you gave the Mummy a handjob and possibly injuring your hands.

14. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

Just ask someone about it in class. My coach spends his first 5 minutes explaining to people how to put wraps on quite frequently.

15. shera

shera Brown Belt

I've helped a few newbies wrap their hands in class. One was a guy who was 30+. Don't see why it'd be embarrassing. Nobody knows how to wrap on day 1. If anything, it just says you're starting out in muay thai at a later age than most, but that's actually more admirable than embarassing.

16. ManilaIce

ManilaIce Orange Belt

That's pretty terrible advice. There's a reason all boxers from ammy to pro train w/ handwraps on. It protects not only your knuckles (see Sherdog Training post on "Boxer's Knuckle" but the tiny bones in your hand and wrist as well. Proper technique can and should be developed in the presence of handwraps. You don't tell a beginner to learn how to check leg kicks w/o shinpads first to develop technique, and I think the same principle holds true here.

Buy handwraps. Practice wrapping. It will become second nature soon. There are plenty of youtube vids out there for you to watch as you practice.