Gegard Mousasi would drop to 185 for Anderson fight

LHW is better talent-wise right now. In the interview posted earlier today (or was it yday) on here he talks about fighting the likes of Shogun and Gus.
Plus if he beats Shogun I doubt the ranking experts would cry about AS fight for he'll have a top 5 win in the upper weight class which should count for something

really? he beats one top ten guy and that should count for him, please

so belfort/bisping/wiedman/lombard etc should wait in line for a guy who's last few fights have resulted in a mix bag.

he needs at least 3 good wins at 185 before he has earned a title shot.

Plus he utterly destroyed Jardine. Keith looked like JDS after second Cain fight

Lets be fair - Jardine was an extremely late replacement. While Gegard really beat the shit out of Keith, and should have won, even a half-dead Jardine was able to take Gegard down at will. That fight, way more than his loss to Mo, makes me question Gegard. His striking is obviously great, but his TDD looked atrociousness in the Jardine fight.

Jardine after the Mousasi fight

keith-jardine-post-fight-mousasi.png

King Mo after the Mousasi fight

5_mma_100418_strikeforce_mo_preview.jpg

Precisely. Half ppl posting on here mentioning the Jardine fight as it did not mean anything. For me this fight was absolute domination. It proved a lot more than, say, Nedkov win over Cain.

Precisely. Half ppl posting on here mentioning the Jardine fight as it did not mean anything. For me this fight was absolute domination. It proved a lot more than, say, Nedkov win over Cain.

It was Keith Jardine on a weeks notice, it doesn't say much at all.

A draw against Jardine and a loss to Mo get you nothing. Mousasi is talented, but one of the most overrated guys (I really hate to use that word) in mma.

Did you ever watched those fights?
Big time robberies

Lets be fair - Jardine was an extremely late replacement. While Gegard really beat the shit out of Keith, and should have won, even a half-dead Jardine was able to take Gegard down at will. That fight, way more than his loss to Mo, makes me question Gegard. His striking is obviously great, but his TDD looked atrociousness in the Jardine fight.

I know Jardine stepped up on a suicide mission. I also acknowledge Gegard's problems - the TDD/ability to scramble back up, cardio and the lack of sense of urgency (I dunno if this is too bad though, calmness in a fight is rather important). He def needs good training camp and a tune up fight or two but what I was saying is that a fight against AS will be hell of a show so I'm down

Plus he utterly destroyed Jardine. Keith looked like JDS after second Cain fight

His gas tank (and that point deduction) cost him that fight. But yeah, if you watched the fight it was clear who was the superior fighter.

King Mo got outlanded by a significant amount as well. But Gegard's lack of TDD rightfully cost him that fight.

I know Jardine stepped up on a suicide mission. I also acknowledge Gegard's problems - the TDD/ability to scramble back up, cardio and the lack of sense of urgency (I dunno if this is too bad though, calmness in a fight is rather important). He def needs good training camp and a tune up fight or two but what I was saying is that a fight against AS will be hell of a show so I'm down

I agree that Gegard/Anderson would be a great fight, even if Gegard doesn't fix his TDD.

Well, asking for a title fight to drop a weight class worked for Edgar, will probably work for Cormier so why not try it?

Uh, well, Edgar was the LW champ, beat BJ twice, defended his belt twice, and had two close fights with the current LW champ.

During that same time frame, Mousasi has fought the likes of Hiroshi Izumi, Keth Jardine and Ovince St. Preux. I think one could argue that Frankie is more deserving of a UFC title shot than Mousasi.

Cormier hasn't gotten a shot yet (and it's questionable if he will), but he has at least beaten two relevant HWs recently.

I love how almost everyone says Mousasi is overrated because of his fight against Mo and Jardine. It's clear they didn't see those fights.

Mousasi looked like he was starving at 185, and he ended up going to 205 because he didn't felt at %100 on middleweight, Anderson would murder a drained Gegard easily.

Read the proper quote.

That's a really big fight, so if I were offered a fight like that, I would go down in weight for it. I know there are a lot of other guys that are in line for him, so I'm just going to stay at 205 for now. If I'm not succeeding at 205, then I'll drop, but at this moment, I feel great at 205. My only goal is to win the UFC title. It's not to be the absolute, pound for pound guy. I just want to win the belt, whether it's 205 or 185. If I win one, then maybe I can set my goals even further, and maybe go for the belt in two divisions.

Yeah, and let's not forget that Houston Alexander beat the stuffing out of a younger version of Jardine who actually had time to prepare for the fight.

Houston vs Anderson...anyone else game? Or is the "beating up Jardine" test not relevant for a MW title shot?

I'd pick Anderson, I think he's the better striker despite Gegard's wins of Kyotaro and Mousashi, but Gegard has a legit chance to beat any MW & LHW as long as it stays standing.

Anderson likely wouldn't shoot for takedowns. The last time he did that was in Cage Rage against Rivera & Murray. But Gus likely would, like he did vs Shogun, who is a good striker but worse than Gegard. And Mousasi isn't as good on the ground as Rua.

Mousasi looked like he was starving at 185, and he ended up going to 205 because he didn't felt at %100 on middleweight, Anderson would murder a drained Gegard easily.

I think he can safely cut the weight without any detrimental effects. If Bones and Silva can cut to their respective weights safely, Mousasi can cut to 185.

I can't imagine the size difference between Mousasi and Bones. They would look a full weight class different in size.

That would actually be a fun fight if it happened tomorrow (well after a good training camp from both). Realistically speaking though with how long Mousasi's marketing will take and everything on the plate of Anderson (Weidman, superfights, etc) combined with his age and eye for retirement, realistically speaking it would/should never happen.

Really not true though is it, Jardine was able to take him down but had to push incredabley hard to do so which I'd guess contributed to him slowing down so much as the fight progressed, at the end Keith was the one being taken down at will.

What this fight and the OSP match showed is I'd say that Mousasi is pretty good at escaping the ground when he's trying to, Jardine could barely hold him down for more than a few seconds each time.

Of course neither man has the wrestling background of Mo(then again few do) but I think tactically Mousasi left himself open to being LnPed by focusing on offence(subs, GnP, sweeps) from his back rather than escapes that probabley could have forced Mo into working much harder.

Back