Gegard Mousasi Bellator contract done?

Mousasi isn't beating any of the top middleweights, his time has passed - especially when Jacare dominated him.

Maybe in your head he can win though, worth a shot?
Wait....what??

so a Jacare in his prime grapplefucked mousasi, so that means his time has passed? Dude is 10-1 in his past 11, n regardless of what you think of his competition in bellator, the dude is beating world class fighters.

I don’t know how mousasi would fare in the ufc, but it’s crazy how quick you discredit mousasi like you have any factual evidence on how a ufc run at this point would actually go. Funny how you try clowning a dude for giving his opinion because you apparently “know better”. Stfu dude

Didn't Eddie Alvarez get out?
Yeah he was eventually let go, but that was a scorched earth battle with Bellator and Coker and Eddie to get there. It was unpleasant. From the ESPN story in 2014:

"After sitting down with him and getting to know him, it was just a very hurtful situation for him," Coker said. "I think the damage was already done. It became clear there was a wall there, and it was not directed at me. They just made it clear the damage was done."

The announcement effectively ends a near two-year saga between Alvarez and the promotion, which began in late 2012 when Alvarez fielded a multi-fight offer from the UFC after Bellator waived its 90-day exclusive negotiating period.

Rebney moved to exercise the promotion's right to match the UFC offer. Alvarez and his legal team argued, however, the Bellator offer was not the same. The two sides eventually filed countersuits against each other.

In August 2013, a settlement was reached that included two fights from Alvarez under the Bellator banner and then his unconditional release. Three months after the settlement, Alvarez defeated Chandler for the lightweight title.

Mousasi isn't beating any of the top middleweights, his time has passed - especially when Jacare dominated him.

Maybe in your head he can win though, worth a shot?
Yes, especially when Jacaré, the MW who recently narrowly lost to the current LHW champ, dominated him. Right.

The guy who just fought Lima isn't winning any UFC titles.

Stop these foolish posts
The guy who barely beat Fatselum was gonna get killed by Yoel, then Costa... Now he's a favorite against the LHW champ.
Even if I agree... due to Mousasi's very lengthy career, one off night doesn't mean much. Could have been due to a bad weight cut, or whatever else.
Way too soon to write him off.
Now we will have "prime moose vs skinny claw" Threads for a while, whether it happens or not, whatever the result.

Mousasi said in recent interviews he will stay at Bellator for at least two more years. Not long ago he talked about retirement but that's no longer a thing for Mousasi. He was talking about 5 fights in the next two years.

I want to see the Hall trilogy. I think Hall takes it.

Bellator will find someone else to challenge once those guys face him. It’s just like the UFC. They will build someone up. Plus Mousasi’s resume is already made. He’s 47-7 and he’s fought and had success in every major promotion that has ever mattered in mma history. He could retire now and be an all time great. Anything he does in Bellator is just icing on the cake.
Depends on your definition of success, in the biggest organization when your best win is against a twice brutalized Weidman, it's limited success, at best. Fighting b-tech Middleweights in an incredibly thin division where he's, Viera aside, legitimately faced better WWs, masquerading as MWs given the shallowness of the MW division is a sad end for someone of Moose's talent. Fair play to him and all getting paid better to fight scrubs but while wasting the remainder of his career won't necessarily hurt his legacy but it won't do anything to polish it either, nor push him to the top, or even top 3 of anyone's all time MWs.

Gegard will be like 40 years old 5 years from now and people on Sherdog will be still talking about him fighting for the title. His time has come and gone sadly. He wasted some of his best years outside of the UFC and the rest was wasted sitting on the sidelines in the UFC.

The guy who barely beat Fatselum was gonna get killed by Yoel, then Costa... Now he's a favorite against the LHW champ.
Even if I agree... due to Mousasi's very lengthy career, one off night doesn't mean much. Could have been due to a bad weight cut, or whatever else.
Way too soon to write him off.
Now we will have "prime moose vs skinny claw" Threads for a while, whether it happens or not, whatever the result.

Yeah one off night not 3 underwhelming fights in a row.
Mousasi fans have to come to terms with reality. He's not that good.

Always been a fan of moose and I'm a little biased in usually thinking he can still beat the best at MW. At this point in his career I wanna see him get paid and if there's some meaningful fights out there it's a bonus.

He seems happy with Bellator. I'd rather he came back just because outside of Tokov I don't think there are any interesting fights for him in Bellator really, but if he's happy with the way the company is treating him then it is what it is.

Mousasi beats Adesanya who went life and death with WW Gastelum and should have lost to oldman Romero
You said the same about Paulo Costa smart guy. We should definitely take you seriously.

C'mon man. That's unlikely. Very unlikely. Does he beat gastelum? Yes . Costa? Yes. Brunson, rockhold, weidman and even current romero? Yes. Whittaker? Maybe. Adesanya? No. Unlikely boss. Come on now. Okay, great leg kicks, best jab, great top game, decent take downs. Look I'm not very knowledgeable but that's mostly it right? The top game would be a factor if he could effectively take and keep izzy down. I don't think he can. Jab lands. But izzy keep him out of range. Plus gegard plods. Adesanya glides around the cage. I'd love Mousasi to win. I don't like loud mouth flashy strikers who don't wrestle. But izzy all day.
He's got a great jab, but it isn't necessarily the best. Why do I say this? Because he mainly only uses one type of jab. That's a very stiff jab, very heavy on the lead foot.

It's very effective when timed well and landed, but it can be read and countered by more experienced strikers. Also attacking his legs will diffuse it greatly as well.

Back