Gegard at Middleweight.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Paco Sanchez, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Paco Sanchez

Paco Sanchez Blue Belt

Looking at his record, he hasn't fought in MW since '08. How well do you think he'll do in the Middleweight division rather than at LHW? A title shot against AS wouldn't be a bad matchup :icon_chee

2. yonski

yonski Brown Belt

He would contend for the belt for sure

3. SeattleFightFan

SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

Gegard is an enigma right now. not unlike Overeem.

he looks like he'd be great. but he hasn't proved it yet (except a pretty rocking '08-'09). so those who value upside have lots of enthusiasm and those that value accomplishment claim he's nothing until he proves it against "top contenders".

time will tell. until then, probably 90% of sherdoggers fall on one side or the other of the above spectrum.

4. PabloZed

PabloZed Brown Belt

I am assuming you are not using the proper tense of the verb to be. Asking how he will do is not proper given he is fighting as a LHW. You should ask, how would he do.

5. jdubb459

jdubb459 Blue Belt

you're right.. although I'm extremely excited to finally see him against top competition.

6. waldywaldy

waldywaldy lol motherfuckers

Gegard has on more than one occasion expressed his desire to eventually fight at HW. I think a move down to MW is highly unlikely at this moment.

7. ufcfan4

ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

interestingly enough hes probably one of the better style matchups out there for anderson. we've never seen him rocked as far as i can think, he's a very competent striker in his own right, and he's showing improving takedowns which is at least a theoretical recipe for giving anderson problems.

I don't think he will drop, however. At 205, he should do solid too. I dont think he'll reach the real top of the heap but he could give some of the best of the best problems.

8. JoseAldoKillaBe

JoseAldoKillaBe Black Belt

If he doesn't work on his TDD and cardio, he ain't even cracking the top 10.

9. BionicCommando

BionicCommando Silver Belt

It's kind of similar to LHW in my opinion. Do you trust his takedown defense against really good wrestlers like Okami, Boetsch, Weidman or a judo guy capable of using takedowns effectively like Lombard?

10. JoseAldoKillaBe

JoseAldoKillaBe Black Belt

I think he already said that he barelly cut weight and will drop to 185 if things doesn't work out for him at 205. The cut shouldn't be a problem.

11. MrKilroyT

MrKilroyT Brown Belt

Gegard said he cut 5 lbs for the Kyle fight. He could easily still make 185. I dont think he really wants to/likes to cut weight tho.

12. Viper98

Viper98 GSP Fan

If he moved to mw tomorrow he would already be top 5 without even fighting

Probably #2 or 3

13. Zyn

Zyn Yellow Belt

I think the question we should be asking is how will he perform against the level of competition that is in the UFC? I have high hopes for him.. As he is a very talented fighter. but there is a very good chance that he will never break top five at any weight.

However, I hope he proves himself and gets a title shot within a fight or two.

14. jah provideth

jah provideth Blue Belt

i've always wanted to see him in the ufc at 185 because i think he'd match up well against anderson silva, but against wrestlers, he has yet to prove himself. King Mo got beat up on top, but just kept taking him down one after the other. that's going to be a rpoblem, but that was a while ago. perhaps his TDD is improved?

15. Celtrox

Celtrox Orange Belt

I think a title fight with Silva WOULD be a terrible stylistic fight.. i think Silva tools him on the feet and Mousasi doesnt have the TD's to threaten with anything else..

16. Viper98

Viper98 GSP Fan

King mo is also a better wrestler than anyone in the ufc's mw and lhw division

17. Kemo**

Kemo** Red Belt

You guys need to stop riding Gegard's dick and start thinking realistically.

18. rlm81

rlm81 Black Belt

He said on the post fight interview that he cut only 5lb againsy Mike Kyle.

Even if he doesn't change anything cutting 25lb is pretty standard nowadays. Of course he would slim down a bit if he were to move down to MW.

Also, no he did not look like a holocaust survivor. There are plenty of guys with much lower body fat % than that on the UFC.

[​IMG]

19. pinero

pinero Purple Belt

3 years without fight in MW, not an UFC fighter and suddenly is the

20. rlm81

rlm81 Black Belt

And you say that based on what?

I'd pick Jones, Sonnen, Davis and maybe Weidman and Okami before Lawal based on the competition that they beat.