Gegard at Middleweight.

Paco Sanchez

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Looking at his record, he hasn't fought in MW since '08. How well do you think he'll do in the Middleweight division rather than at LHW? A title shot against AS wouldn't be a bad matchup :icon_chee

He would contend for the belt for sure

Gegard is an enigma right now. not unlike Overeem.

he looks like he'd be great. but he hasn't proved it yet (except a pretty rocking '08-'09). so those who value upside have lots of enthusiasm and those that value accomplishment claim he's nothing until he proves it against "top contenders".

time will tell. until then, probably 90% of sherdoggers fall on one side or the other of the above spectrum.

I am assuming you are not using the proper tense of the verb to be. Asking how he will do is not proper given he is fighting as a LHW. You should ask, how would he do.

Gegard is an enigma right now. not unlike Overeem.

he looks like he'd be great. but he hasn't proved it yet (except a pretty rocking '08-'09). so those who value upside have lots of enthusiasm and those that value accomplishment claim he's nothing until he proves it against "top contenders".

time will tell. until then, probably 90% of sherdoggers fall on one side or the other of the above spectrum.

you're right.. although I'm extremely excited to finally see him against top competition.

Gegard has on more than one occasion expressed his desire to eventually fight at HW. I think a move down to MW is highly unlikely at this moment.

interestingly enough hes probably one of the better style matchups out there for anderson. we've never seen him rocked as far as i can think, he's a very competent striker in his own right, and he's showing improving takedowns which is at least a theoretical recipe for giving anderson problems.

I don't think he will drop, however. At 205, he should do solid too. I dont think he'll reach the real top of the heap but he could give some of the best of the best problems.

If he doesn't work on his TDD and cardio, he ain't even cracking the top 10.

It's kind of similar to LHW in my opinion. Do you trust his takedown defense against really good wrestlers like Okami, Boetsch, Weidman or a judo guy capable of using takedowns effectively like Lombard?

I doubt that Mousasi can make MW and be 100% anymore. He's at 215 and he's looking skinny, he'd look like a Holocaust survivor if he went back down to 185.

I think he already said that he barelly cut weight and will drop to 185 if things doesn't work out for him at 205. The cut shouldn't be a problem.

I doubt that Mousasi can make MW and be 100% anymore. He's at 215 and he's looking skinny, he'd look like a Holocaust survivor if he went back down to 185.

Gegard said he cut 5 lbs for the Kyle fight. He could easily still make 185. I dont think he really wants to/likes to cut weight tho.

I think the question we should be asking is how will he perform against the level of competition that is in the UFC? I have high hopes for him.. As he is a very talented fighter. but there is a very good chance that he will never break top five at any weight.

However, I hope he proves himself and gets a title shot within a fight or two.

i've always wanted to see him in the ufc at 185 because i think he'd match up well against anderson silva, but against wrestlers, he has yet to prove himself. King Mo got beat up on top, but just kept taking him down one after the other. that's going to be a rpoblem, but that was a while ago. perhaps his TDD is improved?

I think a title fight with Silva WOULD be a terrible stylistic fight.. i think Silva tools him on the feet and Mousasi doesnt have the TD's to threaten with anything else..

i've always wanted to see him in the ufc at 185 because i think he'd match up well against anderson silva, but against wrestlers, he has yet to prove himself. King Mo got beat up on top, but just kept taking him down one after the other. that's going to be a rpoblem, but that was a while ago. perhaps his TDD is improved?

King mo is also a better wrestler than anyone in the ufc's mw and lhw division

You guys need to stop riding Gegard's dick and start thinking realistically.

He said on the post fight interview that he cut only 5lb againsy Mike Kyle.

Even if he doesn't change anything cutting 25lb is pretty standard nowadays. Of course he would slim down a bit if he were to move down to MW.

Also, no he did not look like a holocaust survivor. There are plenty of guys with much lower body fat % than that on the UFC.

gegard-mousasi-mike-kyle.jpg

If he moved to mw tomorrow he would already be top 5 without even fighting

Probably #2 or 3

3 years without fight in MW, not an UFC fighter and suddenly is the

King mo is also a better wrestler than anyone in the ufc's mw and lhw division

And you say that based on what?

I'd pick Jones, Sonnen, Davis and maybe Weidman and Okami before Lawal based on the competition that they beat.

Back