Gear needed for starting BJJ & Muay Thai

jackstraw424

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey! Im really excited about starting martial arts training (Ive wanted to for a long time but moneys been a problem) and I was wondering what gear I need to get started? I have my heart set on BJJ (probably no-gi to start with) or submission wrestling for grappling and Muay Thai or kick-boxing (Muay Thai seems to have more to it so thats where I was leaning) to learn some stand-up as well as for fitness reasons. Moneys still an issue but my birthdays coming up so i can pick up some gear. I dont plan on competing anytime soon or at all to be honest (I dont like the idea of being hit in the face lol) so I dont need compition gloves, theyll just be used for sparring and bag work. So any brands I should look into or specific products?
P.S. Are nut-huggers frowned upon in the gym? Id love a pair of vale tudo shorts haha

Gloves: Definitely Hayabusa
shin pads: Hayabusa, combat sports.
headgear: revgear, hayabusa

TBH you do not really need that much kit when you start out-for BJJ maybe a gum shield and a pair of cheap shorts,as time goes on you can buy BJJ specific shorts(although if you are a bigger guy Sprawl.tv are having a good sale at moment) ,gum and groin shield and rash guards.For early days though a tee shirt and shorts should do.Regards Muay Thai,much the same advice applies,you do not need loads of kit to start,most gyms have loaner gloves that you could use for a few sessions until you decide if these sports are for you...

the underarmor rashguards a good, I even like the ones walmart sells for 10$. I also own a manto and some other grappling specific thicker rashguards, but i prefer the other two above. Different people like different things, but if your just starting you dont need to a thick grappling specific rashie, the underarmor ones are fine, find out what you like (short sleev, long sleev ect) then worry about a more expensive one.

as for gloves, you'll typically want a pair for sparring, and another for pag/pad work. (lots of other info on this section about the different weights / brands ect) but my opinion is, dont go with the hyabusas sparring gloves, they're pretty hard, and theres better things out there for the money. I do however like the bag gloves, not sure if its the best bang for the buck, but they got nice bag gloves. 16oz sparring gloves, and 12 oz bag gloves are a pretty widly accepted rule of thumb...theres a good deal on combatsports.com i believe for some good fairtex bag gloves or something like that i believe....im sure someone else can clear that up.

How does under armor hold up as a rashie? I was also wondering if it makes a difference as to what gloves I get, will a sparring glove be alright for sparring and bagwork?? for example Ive found these 2 pairs on mma warehouse Hayabusa Pro 16oz. Sparring Gloves (Black or White) - MMAWarehouse.com
Hayabusa Pro 10 oz. Bag Gloves - MMAWarehouse.com
whats a good weight to get?? Thanks again

I would stick with 16 oz bag gloves and 16 oz sparring gloves. From what I understand sparring and amateur Muay Thai competition you will always be using 16 oz gloves if thats what your looking to get into to. Also for starting out, unless your sparring you will not really need any of this stuff. Just workout clothes for MT until you build up enough reps and have had enough pad work to start sparring. Def 16 oz gloves, good pair of shin guards & headgear, mouth piece and cup for sparring. Suggest steel cup for MT sparring. Not sure bout BJJ as I haven't started my training yet.

as for gloves, you'll typically want a pair for sparring, and another for pag/pad work.

being on a tight budget, 2 pairs of $50+ isnt really an option for me right now, is there a glove that can cover both activities until I can get another pair?

P.S. Are nut-huggers frowned upon in the gym? Id love a pair of vale tudo shorts haha

Me personally, I'm not a fan of dudes who roll no-gi in VT's. Doing stand up training is no issue just when it comes time for groundwork...not cool.

For jiu jitsu your definitely going to need a gi. Most schools either use the gi exclusively or they alternate between gi and no gi. Either way the gi is always part of the equation.

Check ebay or find a Fuji gi online. Inexpensive but they look good and hold up well.

Good luck!

Me personally, I'm not a fan of dudes who roll no-gi in VT's. Doing stand up training is no issue just when it comes time for groundwork...not cool.

It sucks to roll with guys in VT's. Especially in north/south or sangakugatame.

But I think these are worse than VT's..
m_71fa6eb8cf5532a4bb61210a51773931.gif

How does under armor hold up as a rashie? I was also wondering if it makes a difference as to what gloves I get, will a sparring glove be alright for sparring and bagwork?? for example Ive found these 2 pairs on mma warehouse Hayabusa Pro 16oz. Sparring Gloves (Black or White) - MMAWarehouse.com
Hayabusa Pro 10 oz. Bag Gloves - MMAWarehouse.com
whats a good weight to get?? Thanks again

no one will want to spar you with 10oz glove. go for 14/16oz depending on your size.

being on a tight budget, 2 pairs of $50+ isnt really an option for me right now, is there a glove that can cover both activities until I can get another pair?

U shouldnt be sparring from the get-go anyway,you will need to learn technique first so why not get a pair for bag and pad work to start and then pick up a sparring pair when you have some money again and have decided that you wish to continue training?

U shouldnt be sparring from the get-go anyway,you will need to learn technique first so why not get a pair for bag and pad work to start and then pick up a sparring pair when you have some money again and have decided that you wish to continue training?

Thats a good idea. And if they do want you to spar or do some light drills, im sure either they or someone will have proper gloves , and for light drills a 12oz pair you use for bag/pads isnt too big of a deal, so long as your not trying to crack the guy

Thats a really good point, thats what I'll have to do. A little worried about the varied opinion on size of a bag glove (12oz. vs. 16oz.), what are the reasons behind each choice? (Im really green so sorry if this is basic stuff haha). Im 5'11" 160 and honestly disgraceful upper body strength so until I learn proper form and everything I dont have to worry about hurting anyone lol.

Back