Gear Help

djmarkiss

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just joined an MMA gym and I need some guidance on what brands to get. I don't have a budget so anything you can reccomend will be fine. Here is what I need

Sparring Gloves 16oz.
Shin Guards
Head Gear
Mouthpiece
Hand Wraps
Also a good bag for all my gear

I already got my cup and BJJ Gi.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Last edited:
Just joined an MMA gym and I need some guidance on what brands to get. I don't have a budget so anything you can reccomend will be fine. Here is what I need

Sparring Gloves 16oz.
Shin Guards
Head Gear
Mouthpiece
Hand Wraps

I already got my cup and BJJ Gi.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Which line of thinking do you have in mind?

A. Nice quality entry level gear that will last until I can decide if I like this, or

B. Why pay twice, when I can spend somewhat more, and save in the long run?

:icon_chee

Option B. lol I would rather get the best stuff now, I know it may sound dumb since I am new and may not like it, but I can pretty much guarantee I will enjoy it. I have always loved martial arts that I did growing up so this shouldn't be any different.

Sparring Gloves 16oz.:

Not to easy to get around having two pairs of gloves, one for bag work and one for sparring.

Fairtex Super Bag Gloves 12oz. (Currently on sale at Ringside/CSI for $34.99).
Fairtex BGV5 Super Sparring Gloves 16oz.

Shin Guards:

Fairtex SP3 Pro Style Shin Guards, or
Hayabusa Pro Striking Shin Guards.

Head Gear:

Winning FG-2900. * Don't get sticker shock over this. Your head will thank you for it.

Mouthpiece:

Sports Guards International (Custom) Gladiator Pro or Elite model.

Hand Wraps:

Good Quality 180" Mexican Style Handwraps.

Also a good bag for all my gear:

Lots of good choice, just take your pick.

Ps. These are not the only choices, and there are a lot of nice gloves out there. Top King, Twins, Ringside, Rival, etc...

Wow thanks for all the recommendations! Appreciate it!

If I can't get the Fairtex, what would be the second best option? I was reading and saw Hayabusa. I saw two different ones the Pro Striking Shin Guard or the or the Shin Instep Guards.

Thanks

My personal recommendation would be for the Pro Striking Shin Guards, as they were made and marketed later, seem to be a better design, and get very good reviews. Why can't you get the Fairtex? If it is that you can't find them, I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Well I only found them at one place and they just called and said they are out of stock until September 16. I didn't want to wait that long.

Where was the place? As in shop name?

mmaoverload. That was the only place I saw had them in stock and they didn't after all.

Try Fairtex.com. Google it, and get the telephone number and give them a call. You will not see them on the website, but they do have them. They are located in San Francisco, USA. And, yes they stock them in black. Nissa is really helpful, and if they have your size, which I am sure they do, they can probably ship today or tomorrow. They have excellent customer service.

Ps. There are also video reviews on Youtube for the Hayabusa Pro Striking Shin Guards, if you decide to go with those.

Where can I find the Winning Head Gear at?

Winning USA is about the only place to find Winning gear. They are located in Redondo Beach, California, and you place your order through them. They have a showroom and sell directly to customers in person there.

They have recently changed the way they fill orders. All internet orders now ship directly from Japan. They ship via EMS mail for a reasonable fee, and delivery is super fast. The Winning MS-600 gloves that I purchased were shipped from Japan, and between the time they shipped, and the time they were delivered to my door was (2) days. Yes, "2" days.

There is one contact person at Winning USA. Use the website "Contact" inquiry. You will get a very prompt response. Decide what size and color you want and find out if it is (in-stock) at the Japan factory (Winning USA can tell you this via email). Then just place your order online. You will get a confirmation email from Winning USA, and a tracking number when your order ships from Japan. No customs fees, etc... It gets delivered directly to your door.

Here is the link:

Winning Products

If you have done any research on headgear, you will see Winning seems to beat all others hands down. In the unlikely event you do not like it, which would probably be a first, people will be crawlling all over you to buy it from you for what you paid for it. Just trying finding some used on ebay. It doesn't exist.

Ps. If you want to read more about it, just search here, or Goggle "Winning FG-2900 or Winning FG-5000 Headgear. I hope this helps.

Ps. Don't get sticker shock, investing in good headgear is the best money you will ever spend.

nice posts/recommendations ECS.x

Thanks, I appreciate the comment. And, I like the new "Hang Banging" addition to your signature. I am still laughing about that thread. :icon_lol:

Thanks, I appreciate the comment. And, I like the new "Hang Banging" addition to your signature. I am still laughing about that thread. :icon_lol:

No prob,credit where it's due.And I think that the "hang bang " thing could be an inside joke in G and E for a while like Fozs with his use of chicken pictures....

I haven't posted because ECS has been giving great suggestions, but djmarkiss listen to him and you'll be steered towards great gear!

Thanks! So far I've gotten everything he has recommended to me. Thanks again ECS, I appreciate all your help!

For the headgear, I was looking at the Winning FG2900 and the H1900. What is the difference? They look the same and have the same details as far as I can see.

Back