GBP & Schaefer settle. GBP parts ways with most of Haymon fighters.

In running a business empire, your success and aptitude in creating value isn't measured in how many day to day operations you complete.

In running a business empire, your success and aptitude in creating value isn't measured in how many day to day operations you complete.

I didn't say it was. I said from the start he was nothing but the face. Stop trying to impress people.

Been a decent number of faces in boxings history, a couple even tried their hand at the promotion side of the game. Must have a hell of a face, old Oscar, considering his accomplishments as a promoter.

The argument was never whether Oscar was successful. You can argue about it, but it'll have to be with someone else because thats not what I said.

You said he has no idea what he's doing, based on rumors and speculation. I said he does, based on his record as a promoter.

You're an idiot if you believe Oscar had anything to do with the day to day business at GB promotions.

Seriously? Have you degenerated into a 6th grader and name calling? While I may not agree with your opinion, I will fight for your right to voice it. However, do not mistaken opinions for facts.

Here is a little bit of business advice for you since you have demonstrated without a doubt that you have very little business knowledge. The golden rule of being a good employee or manager is to never ever publically bad mouth the big boss. Never bite the hand that feeds you. Schaeffer was wrong to bad mouth Oscar when he was at a rehab center dealing with a very serious and humiliating drug problem. Schaeffer could have taken the high road and been supportive, he could have been a professional. He instead decided to bash Oscar in the media and cause a ruckus.

If I am starting up a new promotion company Schaeffer is the last guy I want on my team. If he bad mouth Oscar, the guy who gave him a huge opportunity and made him filthy rich...I wonder what he will be saying about me when things don't go his way? No thanks.

Schaeffer didn't do himself any favors. He lost a lot of credibility. The bottom line is that when you bad mouth your boss in public it never ends well. As I stated earlier, GBP is better off without him.

I think it only comes down to Oscar wanting to make the biggest fights possible and dealing with a roster of Haymon fighters won't allow that. Take what he has left and work with Top Rank and others. Let Haymon fighters fight bums on NBC Sports and fade into obscurity.

Ive never been that high on Danny Garcia, but I did take him to beat Lucas when I felt the majority of boxing fans were choosing Lucas to beat Garcia.

But when it comes to what Seano is saying he might have a point.
No one is arguing if Oscar was successful. Seano is saying that when it comes to the actual business side and paper pushing, how much of that does Oscar really do?
Oscars job is probably similar to a pro football player who sometimes helps his former college by visiting high school players and trying to recruit him to the college.

Oscar is there to say "We're gonna make you alot of money and were gonna get you the fights that best suit you, if you sign with Golden Boy. Here is Schaefer to fill you in about the rest."
Now if your a premium star then Oscar probably gives more input but you get what im saying.

Ill also add that having someone like Oscar is a good thing as well. Itll bring more prospects in when you have a name like that.

One of the key reasons Peyton Manning went to Denver is because John Elway became executive vice president of football operations of the Broncos. He only reports to the team President Joe Ellis and owner of the Broncos Pat Bowlen.
Elway is in charge of all football operations and holds rank over everyone else.
Without him then probably no Manning.

So when it comes to Oscar, Schaeffer definitely needs to thank him cuz with out Oscar he wouldnt be as rich, but at the same time Oscar needs Schaeffer and others like him to advise him on the actual business sides of running a company.

Schaeffer was a successful man before he joined Golden Boy promotions. He wasn't some homeless guy they picked off the streets and made into a man. They chose him because the company was founded by fighters who had no idea how to run a promotional company.

Wouldn't Oscar De La Hoya's decision to hire Richard Schaffer be an example of him being a smart business man?

Wouldn't Oscar De La Hoya's decision to hire Richard Schaffer be an example of him being a smart business man?

Thats talking in circles. Oscar didn't know how to run a business, hired someone to do it, so that makes him a smart business man?

It was a smart decision that anyone with a drop of common sense would do exactly the same.

Schaefer will be replaced if he hasn't been already. Oscar has like 2 fighters under his promotion so he doesn't need help right now.

Thats talking in circles. Oscar didn't know how to run a business, hired someone to do it, so that makes him a smart business man?

Hiring people to make your business better and more successful is usually smart, so the answer to your question is yes.

It was a smart decision that anyone with a drop of common sense would do exactly the same.

Yet, no former fighter before or after has been as successful Oscar at promotions.

Schaefer will be replaced if he hasn't been already. Oscar has like 2 fighters under his promotion so he doesn't need help right now.

Ok.

Hiring people to make your business better and more successful is usually smart, so the answer to your question is yes.

Sounds like circular logic to me but whatever.

Yet, no former fighter before or after has been as successful Oscar at promotions.

And yet, Richard Schaeffer has been running things behind the scenes the whole time. why do you think all of his fighters jumped ship to go work with Haymon and Schaeffer?

... why do you think all of his fighters jumped ship to go work with Haymon and Schaeffer?

The same reason many boxers signed with Don King years ago. They've been filling their heads with visions of sugar plum faeries shitting out thousand dollar bills while having to compete against lesser competition.

And yet, Richard Schaeffer has been running things behind the scenes the whole time.

Who is denying that? De La Hoya hired Schaeffer, which made his company bigger and more successful.

why do you think all of his fighters jumped ship to go work with Haymon and Schaeffer?

The fighters leaving Golden Boy had to do with the settlement. Also, fighters can't run to Schaeffer considering he's required to stay out of Boxing for a unspecifed period of time. And how can fighter jump ship, when those fighters were never signed to Golden Boy in the first place but are signed to Haymon?

Who is denying that? De La Hoya hired Schaeffer, which made his company bigger and more successful.

?

Did you read my comment that started this discussion or just jump in in the middle? Because my point was that Oscar is the face of the company. Not that he's not a successful person. Schaefer has done Golden Boys work. For years now, when fighters talked about negotiating fights, they mentioned Schaefer. Oscar is just the pretty face who stands out front, sits ringside and does press conferences and Schaefer was actually doing most of that too.

Did you read my comment that started this discussion or just jump in in the middle?

Jumped in in the middle.

Because my point was that Oscar is the face of the company. Not that he's not a successful person. Schaefer has done Golden Boys work. For years now, when fighters talked about negotiating fights, they mentioned Schaefer. Oscar is just the pretty face who stands out front, sits ringside and does press conferences and Schaefer was actually doing most of that too.

I agree with this.

Back