GBP & Schaefer settle. GBP parts ways with most of Haymon fighters.

Herrera is about as bad an example I can think of for maximum monetary gain with minimal risk.

Regardless of what you or I think, they picked maurico as a showcase fight for Danny. It was to build his Latino base and showtime built it as "I'm coming home" fight for Puerto Rico and Latinos.

Regardless of what you or I think, they picked maurico as a showcase fight for Danny. It was to build his Latino base and showtime built it as "I'm coming home" fight for Puerto Rico and Latinos.

And it was a terrible choice for a showcase fight.

A good example of a showcase fight is Canelo vs Angulo. Angulo has a bit of name recognition, he's Mexican, and is a perfect stylistic match up to make Canelo look like a beast.

Right, because Schaeffer is a good businessman. Oscar was never more than a face for that company and then that face started having drug problems.

GPB is not possible without ODLH. Schaeffer did a good job managing the company but the name ODLH for many years was a huge star which allowed him to launch a successful promotional company. That's why Schaeffer doesn't start his own promotion company...he is not a big enough name.

GPB is not possible without ODLH. Schaeffer did a good job managing the company but the name ODLH for many years was a huge star which allowed him to launch a successful promotional company. That's why Schaeffer doesn't start his own promotion company...he is not a big enough name.

Don't be ridiculous. Schaeffer was GB promotions. Now that he's out, Oscar will just find some other guy to replace him.

Oscar doesn't know what he's doing.

Doesn't really matter why they fought. It didn't make Herrera any less of a fighter. Herrera was a legitimate title defense against a good tough fighter.

Doesn't really matter why they fought. It didn't make Herrera any less of a fighter. Herrera was a legitimate title defense against a good tough fighter.

I think the point he is making is that Haymon fucked up by setting Garcia up in a showcase fight against a guy that's an awful opponent for a showcase fight. I could be interpreting it wrong, but it seems like you two are debating different points.

I think the point he is making is that Haymon fucked up by setting Garcia up in a showcase fight against a guy that's an awful opponent for a showcase fight. I could be interpreting it wrong, but it seems like you two are debating different points.
Who said it was a showcase fight? The fact that it took place in Garcia's backyard doesn't make it a showcase fight.

Salka was a showcase fight. Herrera was just a fight.

Who said it was a showcase fight? The fact that it took place in Garcia's backyard doesn't make it a showcase fight.

Salka was a showcase fight. Herrera was just a fight.

Nobody ever officially labels a fight a showcase. But I got the distinct impression, from the way the fight was promoted and presented, that the Herrera fight was meant to be a showcase for Garcia in Puerto Rico.

Nobody ever officially labels a fight a showcase. But I got the distinct impression, from the way the fight was promoted and presented, that the Herrera fight was meant to be a showcase for Garcia in Puerto Rico.

People thought that because they didn't know who Herrera was and assumed it was a step down from Mathysse.

Don't be ridiculous. Schaeffer was GB promotions. Now that he's out, Oscar will just find some other guy to replace him.

Oscar doesn't know what he's doing.

Oscar knows a thing or two about the boxing business. He is an Olympic gold medalist. He transformed his success inside the ring into a world class promotion company. He has been a winner his entire life.

If Schaeffer really cared about GBP he could have handled matters professionally and privately. All the bad mouthing to the press was bad for business. It showed me that Schaeffer cared more about himself rather than the business. I think he forgot who was signing his paycheck. If Schaeffer thinks he is heading to greener pastors at Mayweather Productions---he is in for a rude awakening. Oscar will be just fine without him.

People thought that because they didn't know who Herrera was and assumed it was a step down from Mathysse.

Maybe some people did. But plenty of people knew who Herrera was and believed it was meant to be a showcase based on the promotion. Everything about the promotion seemed geared towards hyping Garcia and gaining a Puerto Rican base.

A showcase fight is supposed to include a reasonably formidable opponent. Otherwise it hurts the fighter's reputation and image more than it helps. Herrera, in theory, was that formidable but low-risk guy. Salka was a terrible showcase because it was universally panned and the consensus was that it just made Garcia look like a cherry picking bully.

Oscar knows a thing or two about the boxing business. He is an Olympic gold medalist. He transformed his success inside the ring into a world class promotion company. He has been a winner his entire life.

If Schaeffer really cared about GBP he could have handled matters professionally and privately. All the bad mouthing to the press was bad for business. It showed me that Schaeffer cared more about himself rather than the business. I think he forgot who was signing his paycheck. If Schaeffer thinks he is heading to greener pastors at Mayweather Productions---he is in for a rude awakening. Oscar will be just fine without him.

If Oscar had known what he was doing, he never would have hired Schaeffer. Schaeffer was there to run the business. Oscar was the pretty face they used to sell fights.

Maybe some people did. But plenty of people knew who Herrera was and believed it was meant to be a showcase based on the promotion. Everything about the promotion seemed geared towards hyping Garcia and gaining a Puerto Rican base.
I picked Garcia to win a tough fight.

A showcase fight is supposed to include a reasonably formidable opponent. Otherwise it hurts the fighter's reputation and image more than it helps. Herrera, in theory, was that formidable but low-risk guy. Salka was a terrible showcase because it was universally panned and the consensus was that it just made Garcia look like a cherry picking bully.

Salka was a poor opponent ESPECIALLY because people thought it was another gimme fight after the fight that people assumed was a gimme the first time was very close.

Danny just came off two years where he Ko'ed khan and beat Lucas. They thought he was hot shit and rightfully so. But it was a showcase fight to build his Latino fan base. He's Puerto Rican American but can't speak Spanish. They want him to garner a following like Miguel Cotto so it was a show case event.

Danny going back home to Puerto Rico, find his roots, warrior machismo, the next great Puerto Rican fighter like macho, tito, and Cotto.

he can't speak spanish? how embarrassing it must have been going over there and not understanding his own people

I picked Garcia to win a tough fight.

Salka was a poor opponent ESPECIALLY because people thought it was another gimme fight after the fight that people assumed was a gimme the first time was very close.

Yeah I agree. In Garcia's position it's very hard to make a good opponent selection after Herrera. He needed a gimmie after that, but public perception was that he already had an easy fight lined up in Herrera and shit the bed.

I blame the promotion of that Herrera fight for that sentiment. They spent too much time hyping Garcia and not enough time on the actual fight. They should have promoted that fight as what it really was, a tough fight against a tough guy.

Danny just came off two years where he Ko'ed khan and beat Lucas. They thought he was hot shit and rightfully so. But it was a showcase fight to build his Latino fan base. He's Puerto Rican American but can't speak Spanish. They want him to garner a following like Miguel Cotto so it was a show case event.

Danny going back home to Puerto Rico, find his roots, warrior machismo, the next great Puerto Rican fighter like macho, tito, and Cotto.
Nah, it was a legitimate fight. You seem to have some agenda here buy insisting it was a showcase fight, some stupid Al Haymon crap I would guess, but Herrera was a legit opponent and people who follow boxing knew it.

Danny was expected to win by everyone and most people expected that the guy who beat Matty the monster would dominate. But Herrera was never an easy fight for anyone and had been tested multiple times against good competition. Garcia isn't retarded, he knew who Herrera was.

And this probably knocks down any notion that the Herrera fight can be considered a showcase fight, if the term is to mean anything. Like you said earlier, Angulo/Canelo is probably a good example of a showcase fight because Angulo was tailor made for Canelo and he had decent name value. Herrera doesn't satisfy either of those categories. Herrera really isn't tailor made for anyone and he doesn't have a big name, at all. You can claim that they tried to set up a showcase fight and fucked up, but that takes a lot of assumptions and really ends up meaning nothing because Herrera is the complete opposite of what you'd expect for a showcase opponent.

Back