Gatorade or Propel?

Saki_on_Sunday

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What do you think is better to drink? I feel better with propel just cause I feel like gatorade is just sugar water.

Id say they both serve the same purpose during a workout. Id go with Gatorade for electrolytes unless propel has the same effect.

Water + honey + a shot of apple cider vinegar + juice from on lemon. Cider is optional I suppose.

HAHAHA I have so much home made shit, i never realized what a Kook I am.

You just gave me another thing to add to the Voodoo thread.

Saki_on_Sunday said:
What do you think is better to drink? I feel better with propel just cause I feel like gatorade is just sugar water.

Depends on how long you're working out. I generally prefer Gato...you actually increase your blood sugar level after you've dipped in your glycogen suppplies. They've actually done studies that the amount of more complex carbs (not just electrolytes) in Gatorade actually help the tranport of water into your system (not just sit in your stomach), I think its some kind of osmotic water potential thing......

Saki_on_Sunday said:

Propel is no good for workout recovery. You need carbs to keep your endurance up during a workout, and propel has none. Better than gatorade and propel is ACCELERADE. www.accelerade.com

It's quite good.

u guys have an ironlife membership? they cover this topic here:

http://www.ironlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52892

for those who don't.. it just basically states that since there's more sodium than potassium in sports drinks.. u actually hinder your performance if u take in too much sodium.. u need more potassium than sodium for increased expenditure..

and that the high sodium in sports drinks is probably because they want u to buy or consume more of it...

here's the cut and paste for those who wana read the whole thing:

-----------------------

Electrolytes and sports drinks
By Rob Fiagan

The body has a sophisticated system of water/electrolyte regulation governed at the uppermost level by the hypothalamus. By drinking water liberally, you won

that damn Propel is good shit though, especially the grape one. I'm addicted

Michael Wanaka said:
Propel is no good for workout recovery. You need carbs to keep your endurance up during a workout, and propel has none. Better than gatorade and propel is ACCELERADE. www.accelerade.com

It's quite good.

I've been on board this one for a while. I love my accelerade.

physicaltherapy said:
Depends on how long you're working out. I generally prefer Gato...you actually increase your blood sugar level after you've dipped in your glycogen suppplies. They've actually done studies that the amount of more complex carbs (not just electrolytes) in Gatorade actually help the tranport of water into your system (not just sit in your stomach), I think its some kind of osmotic water potential thing......

Sugar is not a complex carb. Moderate amounts of sodium help the body store the water and deliver it where it is needed.

Sudo, I really appreciate that article, and I remember swimming there were always some people doing the apple juice + water thing, but my problem with that article is the guy never explains why a greater than 1:1 ratio of potassium/sodium in a drink is good, except that your body naturally maintains this ratio. His argument is, "Whose right? Mother nature or the sports drink manufacturers?" That doesn't teach me anything.

I thought sports drinks contained the sodium they do because you need to replenish the salt you lose sweating. Just as he remarked at the beginning of the article, your hypothalamus regulates the amount of potassium in your system, and does not excrete potassium unless there's an excess in your system; furthmore, potassium losses in sweat are exceptionally low whereas sodium losses are considerable. Gatorade was engineered with this physiological fact in mind. The formula has been updated as we have learned more about these processes.

As a cheap alternative, it's great, and that's why many swimmers used it. But I like sports drinks. They're one of the few supplements that do what they claim.

Just dilute them. 2-3 parts water, 1 part sport drink.

Urban said:
Water + honey + a shot of apple cider vinegar + juice from on lemon. Cider is optional I suppose.

HAHAHA I have so much home made shit, i never realized what a Kook I am.

That sounds kind of nasty. How does it taste?

I take gatorade over Propel when working out, but I will sip on propel throughout the day

Madmick said:
His argument is, "Whose right? Mother nature or the sports drink manufacturers?" That doesn't teach me anything.

it teaches u that mother nature is the way to go!... :wink: lol

farmboy said:
That sounds kind of nasty. How does it taste?
You know, it's not bad if you do it right. you can do without the vinegar if that's makes it gross for you, but really when I'm thirsty after a run or something I drink this stuff down like my life depends on it. Try equal parts vinegar and honey.

Thanks Urban ill have to try that out. BTW i pick gatorade all the time

in to read later.

i know i know give me the necromancer card i guess.

Back