Gastelum Showed Some Low Fighting IQ Last Night

Sansnom

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't remember which round it was cause I was a bit drunk but Gastelum had Adesanya in serious trouble at some point in the fight. Adesanya was backing towards the cage looking wobbled as Gastelum was going at him. I thought to myself this is over, Adesanya is wobbled.

Then what happens? Gastelum goes for a freakin takedown!

WTF

I don't know if it's because he was so tired he used that to recover his gas tank by holding on to Adesanya. But he tried several times to take him down and failed.

Had he continued to put pressure and throw punches for 15 more seconds while Adesanya was looking obviously stunned I rekon he could have finished the fight.

Not only did he go for a takedown, but it was the weakest double-leg attempt i've seen in a long time. Retard move on Kelvin's part, he deserved to lose after that.

Last edited:
I don't remember which round it was cause I was a bit drunk but Gastelum had Adesanya in serious trouble at some point when he had him backing up against the cage. I thought to myself this is over, Adesanya looka wobbled.

The dude goea for a freakin takedown?

I don't know if it's because he was so tired he used that to recover his gas tank by holding on to Adesanya. But tried several to take him down several times and failed.

Had he continued to put pressure and throw punches for 15 more seconds while Adesanya was looking obviously stunned I rekon he could have finished the fight.

TBF, it's easy to say that from your keyboard, harder to do that with adrenaline pumping in a fight.

Fighters go back to their bases when they are tired or hurt, Kelvin probably threw everything he had left with the kick and the hook (?) and then went to autopilot which in his case is wrestling.

I don't think it was low fight IQ at all, It looked to me like Kelvin was gassed a little and taking a breather by resting on Adesanya along the fence.

Yeah that happened. I think it was part of his gameplan though, pretty hard to unlearn something you just trained for.

Agreed, saw the fight at a bar where there was lots of Mexican Kelvin supporters and I probably heard every curse word in the book lol.

The dude neglects his grappling all fight, then rocks Adesanya twice and goes for low percentage doubles against the cage.

<36>

Seconds away from the biggest win of his life to getting absolutely starched the next rd

I don't remember which round it was cause I was a bit drunk but Gastelum had Adesanya in serious trouble at some point in the fight. Adesanya was backing towards the cage looking wobbled as Gastelum was going at him. I thought to myself this is over, Adesanya is wobbled.

WTF

I don't know if it's because he was so tired he used that to recover his gas tank by holding on to Adesanya. But tried several to take him down several times and failed.

Truth. It was after Kelvin landed the LHK. He played it safe by going for the TD. He should kept striking. Another complaint I have is that Kelvin was spamming that big left .Doing so not only got him countered repeatedly, he gassed himself out as well.

jbg glitched and gave gastelum a 10 second window of soukumthath fight iq. After he failed the td i knew he was done. Great fight

WTF

I don't know if it's because he was so tired he used that to recover his gas tank by holding on to Adesanya. But he tried several times to take him down and failed.

when you are at a MAJOR size and reach advantage you have to take major risks to get inside, which can mistakenly be perceived as low fight IQ.

Hindsight huh, I'm pretty sure where he was mentally was telling him to secure the takedown and ride it out. Maybe he didn't want to keep gambling on not getting countered? FFS he put up a great fight and there are these comments shitting on the guy's IQ because he didn't derail the hype train that people some folks hate.

Kelvin looked really awesome 2 rounds of that fight and really bad the rest.

He pushed the pace and landed his shots he was good, stayed on the outside got picked apart

jbg glitched and gave gastelum a 10 second window of soukumthath fight iq. After he failed the td i knew he was done. Great fight
I had flashbacks of that fight at that very moment.

Probably not a coincidence they were both fighting on the same card.

Maybe they crossed path backstage and Soukumthath rubbed some of that low fighting IQ on Gastelum.

Maybe so but i feel izzy shoulda had a tko 2 times.. And he also let it go.

Either way i havent seen dustin fight with the speed he did. Really impressed me.

Same with gastelum
Kelvin in the first 2 rounds could be dangerouse for anybody

Back