Gastelum at 170

DOMMA

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Gastelum has lost 4 of his last 5 at 185, it is clear that he not a contender at this weight. The guy is skilled and talented but way to small for 185; he is 5' 9" (at the most) He is a pudgy 185.

I think at 170 he poses problems for Usman. With a good nutritionist he makes 170. Anyone else think this guy could could be a contender at 170?

giphy.gif

Bring on all contenders :cool: Usman will be champ for many many years :cool:

I'd love to see him at 170, provided he makes a healthy cut.

A healthy Gastelum at 170 who doesn't decrease his chin and cardio due to cutting too much weight could in my eyes beat any welterweight.
I think he peaked already. Gastelum became elite early. Usually when guys reach that high level at an early age they peak at an early age.

He's also taken a shit ton of damage in his career so i fear his best days may be behind him. Now we are left wondering what could have been if he kept his shit together.

Gastelum has lost 4 of his last 5 at 185, it is clear that he not a contender at this weight. The guy is skilled and talented but way to small for 185; he is 5' 9" (at the most) He is a pudgy 185.

I think at 170 he poses problems for Usman. With a good nutritionist he makes 170. Anyone else think this guy could could be a contender at 170?
I think he'd be better suited for 170 also, but stylistically, I feel his weakness is wrestling. He's probably just a happier guy at 185.

I think he peaked already. Gastelum became elite early. Usually when guys reach that high level at an early age they peak at an early age.

He's also taken a shit ton of damage in his career so i fear his best days may be behind him. Now we are left wondering what could have been if he kept his shit together.
Fair enough, i see where you're coming from, definitely makes sense.

I do think he still has a bit of his prime left though, but i agree that the beatings he took on the hands of Rob and Izzy were not exactly minuscule.

He can take shots from MW's at the minute. He can take them from WW's. He just doesn't have the discipline. Remember on TUF. He and Whitakwr doing laps. He pulled up and vomited whilst Whitaker kept running. He's got heart and he's got serious power. If they made a division between he'd be a serious contender if not champion.

Reactions: G10
He can take shots from MW's at the minute. He can take them from WW's. He just doesn't have the discipline. Remember on TUF. He and Whitakwr doing laps. He pulled up and vomited whilst Whitaker kept running. He's got heart and he's got serious power. If they made a division between he'd be a serious contender if not champion.
No one can take punishment forever. Frankie never got KO'd at 155 but got KO'd divisions lower. Weight classes don't matter in this case. When your chin goes it goes. In Gastelum's case that can happen at any moment.

No one can take punishment forever. Frankie never got KO'd at 155 but got KO'd divisions lower. Weight classes don't matter in this case. When your chin goes it goes. In Gastelum's case that can happen at any moment.

Frankie was dropped 3 times against Maynard and went through some absolute wars. You are right in what you say I just think KG isn't close to that. Look at the loaf of bread he has for a head!

it is clear that he not a contender at this weight
I wouldn't go that far. It's not like he's getting smoked out there, though WHittaker schooled him. Let's also not forget he gave Izzy ALL he could handle in their fight at MW. Yes, he's a bit undersized and probably will never win gold there, but he's definitely a contender in that division. He definitely needs to fight down for his next fight.

It would help, but the bigger issue with Kelvin is that his game is very predictable.

Back