Gary Tonon on Weidmans BJJ

FlyingKimurabar

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
garrytonon

If you think "MMA GUYS" don't possess the skill to submit Grapplers at the highest level you are dead wrong. The level of #submissiongrappling that @chrisweidmanufc brought to the table today was incredible as usual. I'd put my money on him in a sub only grappling match with any high level grappler in his weight category. Great training today Champ. I'm excited to be working with you consistently again. *I'm flying to LA to corner/warmup @eddie_wolverine for @ebiofficial from wed-sun. Let me know if anyone wants a last minute seminar*

https://instagram.com/p/6QnUt-L3hr/

I'd put my money on him in a sub only grappling match with any high level grappler in his weight category.

This ain't your standard " my team mate is good " shit. Damn. Coming from Tonon that's some huge praise.

I'd love to see Chris grapple Jacare

The dude gave Galvao a tough fight with only 1 year of BJJ training. Clearly a prodigy.

Fuck, I wish I could see that roll session. Tonon is a beast

Well considering that they are best friends.....

I bet Chris Algieri will say that Weidman can hang with top boxers too

Well considering that they are best friends.....

I bet Chris Algieri will say that Weidman can hang with top boxers too

I'd put my money on him in a sub only grappling match with any high level grappler in his weight category

That's a lot different than your standard " I think so and so could probably hang with top guys. He's straight up saying Weidman would beat them lol.

He's probably the most underrated grappler in the UFC, to be honest. by some mysterious epidemic of mass-hypnosis, otherwise intelligent people truly believe that Rockhold is a better BJJ player than him, for instance.

Wow. Gary makes it sound like Weidman subbed him or damn near to be saying this. Weidman is a phenom in BJJ and its well known. His sub grappling has never been underrated to those that know about what he did before he was even popular and in the UFC.

holy shit. John Danaher, Gary Tonon and Weidman.. that's a scary combo.

Wonder how much UFC paid him for that tweet

He's probably the most underrated grappler in the UFC, to be honest. by some mysterious epidemic of mass-hypnosis, otherwise intelligent people truly believe that Rockhold is a better BJJ player than him, for instance.

Meh

Rockhold has thoroughly dominated quality grapplers in the UFC. He's a more dynamic MMA grappler than Weidman.

Tonon gushes about Rockhold but Buchecha has said Rockhold is a really good black belt and could do well in BJJ comps.

Wow. Gary makes it sound like Weidman subbed him or damn near to be saying this. Weidman is a phenom in BJJ and its well known. His sub grappling has never been underrated to those that know about what he did before he was even popular and in the UFC.

Probably hyperbole, but Tonon said Weidman has darced him 400 times or something. Considering Tonon has been in deep darces by Keenan Cornelius, Bill Cooper and Buchecha and never come close to tapping to one, that is quite the compliment, exaggeration aside.

But but but Rockhold beat a bunch of nobodies at World's at purple. He also subbed a suspect BB in Machida and then Purple Costa Philipou! Plus, his penis!

Probably hyperbole, but Tonon said Weidman has darced him 400 times or something. Considering Tonon has been in deep darces by Keenan Cornelius, Bill Cooper and Buchecha and never come close to tapping to one, that is quite the compliment, exaggeration aside.

Ah I remember that now, only because you brought up the "must've d'arced me 400 times" comment. And yeah that's ridiculous.

But but but Rockhold beat a bunch of nobodies at World's at purple. He also subbed a suspect BB in Machida and then Purple Costa Philipou! Plus, his penis!

Rockhold can hold his own on the ground in MMA against probably anybody. Not sure why you're downplaying his legitimate submission grappling skills. Nobody is saying he's a phenom, that's been said about Weidman.

Back