Gary Goodridge in 2003 vs Derrick Lewis 2018

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
It feels like Fedor's competition has been shat on since the beginning of the time, though PRIDE and Strikeforce had a clearly better heavyweight division, especially PRIDE, and in spite of the fact that Fedor has number of top ten wins that's comparable to GSP.

Now, there was a thread about Babalu showing the symptoms of CTE and all, but clearly the posterboy for something like that in MMA, in my opinion, is Gary. One vicious dude, but he didn't really have the grappling to be able to contend, and really was thrown to the wolves in the kickboxing as well, being very few choice fighter to have fought the best competition in their absolute primes in both, in MMA fighting Coleman, Igor, Fedor and Noguiera in their absolute primes, and Aerts, Hunt, Lebanner, Sefo, Bonjasky, and the list goes on.

On the other hand, there seems to be a lot of hoopla about Daniel Cormier, even some claiming him to be the best pound for pound fighter in the world, when he got his sonned by Jon Jones twice like he owes him that Poppeye money. No one is claiming that Rich is better than Anderson, and how less ridiculous would it be to say Daniel Cormier is, you tell me. It's simply insane thing to say , but anything goes on Sherdog I suppose.

Fedor's name have been shat on and thrown through the mud with people holding virtual pitchfork and torch about how he faced a shit competition, when he didn't. Daniel Cormier wants to fight 40 + year old guy whose last win was a decade ago, and no one was outraged, saying he 'deserved' the fight. Before that, he fought someone like Derrick Lewis, who landed the hail mary of all hail maries, only topped by something like Zombie and that Rodriguez guy KO, who absolutely looked like shit in his previous fight, but then everyone was okay and happy, oh it happens in UFC, what a wonderful fight, not to mention that Lewis was injured I believe.

Goodridge was a vicious mofo though his grappling was limited and took a lot of unnecessary damage. Goodridge in 2003 was 7-1 leading into Fedor fight, with his only loss against Nogueira. After Fedor loss, Goodridge would go on a 6-1 run while only losing to prime Herring, before hitting that 8 fight losing streak which shouldn't have happened. So Goodridge was 13-3 for 7 years in MMA, while fighting Fedor in the very middle of it, only losing to top 2 heavyweights possibly of all time, and Herring ex-top 10 heavyweight back then. Goodridge is 6'3, just as tall as Derrick Lewis, 240 pounds, and though he is in a lot of highlights getting smashed, but he was a dangerous dude. He just took so much damage, and so little ground game.

FearfulInconsequentialAlligatorgar-max-1mb.gif

M0HidPc.gif

It's a pity that someone like Derrick Lewis is fighting for the title and getting paid a lot of money. And someone like Goodridge is having CTEs and probably got paid peanuts. What's just as fucked up is Fedor got shat on all the time for fighting supposedly cans, though he fought top 10 competitions that was comparable to GSP's or Silva's but everyone was cool Daniel Cormier fighting Derrick Lewis and potentially fighting 40+ year old prowrestler with less than 10 MMA fights whose win was a decade ago.

By the way, Goodridge in 2003 went to a draw against PRIME 29 year old hunt in k-1.
Derrick Lewis in 2017 got finished by 43 year old Hunt in UFC.

But Zuffa Cool-aids are so delicious, and someone like Gary never gets the credit he deserves.
He should. He definitely wasn't less of a warrior or a fighter than many who gets 'called' into that so called 'Hall of Fame' thing, probably more so of one. Unfortunate that he never got the respect he deserved and probably never will, but that's how life goes in this world I guess.

Big Daddy was a scary guy. I don’t know who would drop who in that one, but I can’t see it going past round 1 at all.

Gary-Goodridge-KOs-Amir_zps7a2kwjta.gif

Feel bad for ts, all those paragraphs just to eventually end up wastelanded
<mma1>

Both of them could knock each other out but I think Lewis wins that via being the significantly bigger man.

Big Daddy via whatever he wants. Also, GOAT Fedor would have a field day with current MMA.

When it comes to the HW division...I have to agree with TS

Holy fuck you ramble on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.............

Yeah Fedor haters and doubters are idiots

I feel that way about anyone who spends their time attempting to invert reality to argue that any of these long time greats are anything less than great competitors. That sort of mentality reeks of bitter frustration and immaturity and should be rewarded by stoning.

15 y/o Tyson would beat the crap out of Lewis.

But i still love Lewis.

Lewis easily takes down any version of Tyson and either subs him or GnP"s him into oblivian.

He has an armbar win over 19-11 Rakim Cleveland. If his ground game was truly nonexistent, he'd have lost to Big Country and Gonzaga.

Back to topic...pretty much what I expected from a @JustOnce thread.

'03 Goodridge loses to every HW and LHW currently on the roster. Guy made his UFC debut with a record of 0-0 and beat 2 WW's before submitting to position against Frye. There was like 4 or 5 BJJ gyms in the U.S. at the time.

I loved the old fights and watched UFC 1 live. But c'mon...get serious...fighters are way better now.

I feel that way about anyone who spends their time attempting to invert reality to argue that any of these long time greats are anything less than great competitors. That sort of mentality reeks of bitter frustration and immaturity and should be rewarded by stoning.
Yeah I'm a bit guilty of hating on gsp for those snooze fests he had where he would point fight. Andy and Jon deserve flak for multiple failed drug tests. Fedor doesnt deserve any of it

Lewis easily takes down any version of Tyson and either subs him or GnP"s him into oblivian.

He has an armbar win over 19-11 Rakim Cleveland. If his ground game was truly nonexistent, he'd have lost to Big Country and Gonzaga.

'03 Goodridge loses to every HW and LHW currently on the roster. Guy made his UFC debut with a record of 0-0 and beat 2 WW's before submitting to position against Frye. There was like 4 or 5 BJJ gyms in the U.S. at the time.

I loved the old fights and watched UFC 1 live. But c'mon...get serious...fighters are way better now.

Chronic hater detected hating. What's new

Yeah I'm a bit guilty of hating on gsp for those snooze fests he had where he would point fight. Andy and Jon deserve flak for multiple failed drug tests. Fedor doesnt deserve any of it

I don't really care about PEDs, as I think it's obvious (by looking at baseball as far back as the early 80s, and the NFL, and the Olympics, and freakin' bicycle racing) that competitors in all physical sports use them (likely the vast majority).

I also just don't really care enough to debate who is the greatest ever. Does it matter to anyone? We aren't going to anoint them and grant them a trophy. It's all discussion, so any one person growing angry and spiteful because someone else holds a different opinion is just... Laughable.

That said, most people who come on here to call Fedor a hype job most likely haven't been following the sport since his days at the top, and if they were, I can't imagine they're very bright. Even ESPN (back when they gave minimal attention to combat sports outside of boxing) ranked him #1 on a list of the world's most fearsome fighters back in something like 2006.

Last edited:

You're absolutely delusional if you really believes that..
Someone with huge power and a very good chin always has a chance in a fight..
And apart from a few fighters, LHW and HW are a wasteland at the moment...

ps : Goodridge was a really heavy hitter with great athletic abilities and a chin too.
Lewis is a barely evolved version as far as technique is concerned but with less athlecism and chin imo..
Goodridge was a really dangerous opponent back in the days, limited for sure but very dangerous in the opening 5 minutes nevertheless

Back