Garcia vs Lamont Non Title Fight

Wanderlei4Life

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Will be at 143 lb catchweight. Win or lose both keep their belts? Was happy they were fighting but disappointed that their not trying to unify titles. What in the world is going on in boxing?

Blame manny the trend of Catch weights the last 5 years was made popular by him

Garcia should be stripped. He can't even make 140 anymore and this will be over a year since he's defended his titles

So... is it going to be a 10 round fight?

so Lamont gets to keep his belt AGAIN even if he ends up losing AGAIN ?

might as well toss that IBF belt in the trash can .

so Lamont gets to keep his belt AGAIN even if he ends up losing AGAIN ?

might as well toss that IBF belt in the trash can .

To be fair, you can't blame Lamont for that stipulation when he fought Matthysse. You're right, though, it's a rather meaningless belt at the moment.

To be fair, you can't blame Lamont for that stipulation when he fought Matthysse. You're right, though, it's a rather meaningless belt at the moment.

Garcia asked for the catchweight this time, too. He can't make 140 anymore and they're trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes.

It's a money move. Win or lose, he still holds a title which gives him power in negotiations etc.

It's a money move. Win or lose, he still holds a title which gives him power in negotiations etc.

That's likely part of it. As tehmvp said, it could have a lot to do with the fact that Garcia struggles a lot to make the weight now, as well.

Haymon having his cake and eating it too. The catch weight, like the opponent is a stepping stone for Garcia. Peterson is getting knocked out. Big Al knows this. And he wants to at least let Lamont keep his strap.

This is pathetic. I hate what Haymon is doing to boxing. If danny is too fat for 140 he should vacate and move on, not cling to a title he arguably lost to Herrera and then defended against Ron "who?" Salka.....

Personally I don't give a shit about it not being a catchweight. I want to see Garcia fight Peterson; sanctioning body trinkets mean little to me as a fan - certainly not enough that non-title lessens the appeal.

Back