Garbrandt vs. Cruz: Fight of the year?

Seei

You could say the same thing about Choi/Swanson. And to a much greater degree- just 2 fighters swinging wildly.

Seeing a 10 year unbeaten champion in the UFC, who many/most consider to have the most advanced movement ever, and legit P4P contender- get clowned on & outclassed in every area by a young kid who everyone thought was just gonna rush in swinging...

I found it pretty dramatic.
That shit was far out.

It was pretty dramatic and I had cruz down to win, but garbrant had the blueprint layed out before him , training with a lot of guys who havw fought him befote. Fair play he stuck to his plan very well. He made himself into the counterpuncher instead of cruz and had the strength to win the sprawls over cruz.
War Cruz will be back I hope.

This fight was a bit one sided to be fight of the year.

Top 3 for me. Cody was beautiful to watch and his confidence was a special thing to behold.

NO NO NO....
choi and cub by a mile.
followed by max holloway and lamas for me.
that last 20 seconds of lamas and max were fucking superb..

I wouldn't call it foty. Dom landed hardly anything

It was a good changing of the guard. Cruz's recovery and heart made it more compelling. But still, it was a VERY one sided fight. I think Cody got rocked once, but it wasn't replayed for whatever reason. And that was it.

FOTY? Please... It takes 2 to tango and Cruz was so sloppy. It was the kind of fight you hoped fans of boxing didn't see but you want it shown to the world as the pinnacle of the sport? I'm ok with either Cub V Choi or Conor V Nate.

Too one-sided. Cruz didn't have anything for Cody for 4 rounds, while Cody coasted the last one. Conor/Nate 2 for the back and forth, high technical level and constant unpredictability.

You need two to tango. Maybe it was, for some, the most satisfying fight of the year, but performance wise it wasn't even top 5.

NO NO NO....
choi and cub by a mile.
followed by max holloway and lamas for me.
that last 20 seconds of lamas and max were fucking superb..
I guess, if watching 2 guys just 'stand and bang' is what constitutes a great fight.
I've been watching UFC since the mid 90's, so that approach doesn't really blow me away.
There's a reason why 95%+ of fighters don't do it anymore...

And it's not like those 2 fights were that amazing in the big picture. Not like seeing Wanderlei beat Rampage through the ropes in Pride, or watching Bonner & Griffin turn the octagon into a bloodbath.
Or the countless other amazing, gnarly slugfests that have happened in the pay couple of decades.

But to each their own.

Too one-sided. Cruz didn't have anything for Cody for 4 rounds, while Cody coasted the last one. Conor/Nate 2 for the back and forth, high technical level and constant unpredictability.
What was so technical about that fight, that this one didn't have?
Awesome fight, And further contemplating, I'd have to put it above choi/Swanson. But was it really "highly technical"?
More than this fight?
Maybe I need to watch it again.

I guess, if watching 2 guys just 'stand and bang' is what constitutes a great fight.
I've been watching UFC since the mid 90's, so that approach doesn't really blow me away.
There's a reason why 95%+ of fighters don't do it anymore...

And it's not like those 2 fights were that amazing in the big picture. Not like seeing Wanderlei beat Rampage through the ropes in Pride, or watching Bonner & Griffin turn the octagon into a bloodbath.
Or the countless other amazing, gnarly slugfests that have happened in the pay couple of decades.

But to each their own.
Ive been watching since then too, so that must make you a old git just like me..
and they were exciting fights, not really slugfests.
And there is nothing better to make people stand and cheer, like max and lamas, point at the floor and let it all hang out for 20 seconds..
and trust me, i saw royce in the first ufc and wanted to grapple and i did just that..

What was so technical about that fight, that this one didn't have?
Awesome fight, And further contemplating, I'd have to put it above choi/Swanson. But was it really "highly technical"?
More than this fight?
Maybe I need to watch it again.
No, not more technical than this fight since that mostly came from Conor's side, while Diaz tried to make it a dog fight. All things combined though Conor/Nate 2 takes it. IMO, FOTY needs to be competitive.

Jan 2nd 2016. Lawler vs condit, fight of the year!!!

Back