Garbrandt vs. Cruz: Fight of the year?

Iron ghost

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I think it could be mine.

Garbrandt going out there & playing with Cruz, getting him emotional, head ducking punches with his hands down like Muhammad Ali, laughing & pointing at him, fucking pop-locking, doing push-ups and shit, and flat out punking Cruz for 5 rounds straight.
And then... taking the belt & giving it to a 5 year old kid with Leukemia....

Yeah.
I think that was fight of the year for me.

Anyone else?

Last edited:
I don't know about the fight of the year but it was an awesome performance from a young fighter. He also threw more taunts at his opponent in this one fight than both Diaz brothers have in their entire careers haha

1 DIAZ MCGREGOR
2 CHOI SWANSON

nothing else. comes else man.

I hated Cody and really wanted Cruz to son+embarrass him, but after that I can't help but like him. He brought that kid out and put the belt on him right away, and also made the fight super entertaining by going full Diaz at Cruz.

Not fight of the year though. Not even close.

1 DIAZ MCGREGOR
2 CHOI SWANSON

nothing else. comes else man.

The second of those two was just too sloppy to be close to fight of the year for me, McGregor/Diaz 2 would be up there although I think this fight was more consistently competitive with better technique on display.

Not even close to fight of the year. lol

Not even close.

Cub vs Choi has it locked down.

I hated Cody and really wanted Cruz to son+embarrass him, but after that I can't help but like him. He brought that kid out and put the belt on him right away, and also made the fight super entertaining by going full Diaz at Cruz.

Not fight of the year though. Not even close.

I wouldn't say I'm that much of a fan of Codys persona(although no problem with his showboating) but personally I find Cruz the more dislikeble, insufferably smug much of the time although he did show again he's tough as hell.

Fight of the week, at best. I haven't watched the Rizin fights yet.

The second of those two was just too sloppy to be close to fight of the year for me, McGregor/Diaz 2 would be up there although I think this fight was more consistently competitive with better technique on display.

yea bro they fought like some brawlers, i loved the fight but ....... Diaz vs mcgregor was on another level of striking and just all around trash talk aura.... cant wait for 3rd fight.

Not even close to fight of the year. lol

Not even close.

Cub vs Choi has it locked down.

That was probably my fight of the year, tied with Conor-Daiz 2.
Until tonight.
So much crazy shit happened tonight, ending with a young underdog dethroning the champ who's dominated the weight class for roughly 10 years, and flat out making Dominick Cruz look bad.

I mean, c'mon- we saw Dominick Cruz knocked to the ground, get pointed at and laughed out. Over and over. Cody put on a 5 round MMA clinic for Dominick fucking Cruz. He outCruzed Cruz.
We saw the changing of the guards.

That beats the hell out of Swanson & Choi just slugging it out.
Not to take away from that fight, it was epic. It was.
But it was the type of fight I've seen a hundred times. It was linear & one dimensional.

This fight was anything but linear & one dimensional.

That was my fight of the year, until tonight.
So much crazy shit happened tonight, ending with a young underdog dethroning the champ who's dominated the weight class for 10 years straight, and flat out making Dominick Cruz look bad. I mean, c'mon- we saw Dominick Cruz knocked to the ground, get pointed at and laughed out. Over and over.
We saw the changing of the guards.

That beats the hell out of Swanson & Choi just slugging it out.
Not to take away from that fight, it was epic. It was.
But it was the type of fight I've seen a hundred times. It was linear & one dimensional.

This fight was anything but linear & one dimensional.

Well i'm glad you enjoyed it but there are a LOT of fights more worthy of FOTY then Cody vs Cruz.

Fight of the Year for me is you forget anything outside the cage. Forget the personalities. Forget the beef.

Grade it strictly off of what you see in that cage on that night. Technique, Heart, Chin, Back and Forth fight with entertainment.

After Cub vs Choi the only other acceptable fight would be Lawler vs Condit and there were tons of great fights this year.

How so? That was one sided as it gets. The only drama there was if Dom was gonna get ktfo.

For me, easily. I live high level chess macthes with so much pressure, and so much tension, where one false move equals the round being lost.

For pure bloodshed, easily Cub/Choi.

Let's call it a satisfying fight.

No, it wasn't that crazy. It was a very good title fight and FOTN, but that's it.

Seei
How so? That was one sided as it gets. The only drama there was if Dom was gonna get ktfo.
You could say the same thing about Choi/Swanson. And to a much greater degree- just 2 fighters swinging wildly.

Seeing a 10 year unbeaten champion in the UFC, who many/most consider to have the most advanced movement ever, and legit P4P contender- get clowned on & outclassed in every area by a young kid who everyone thought was just gonna rush in swinging...

I found it pretty dramatic.
That shit was far out.

Seei

You could say the same thing about Choi/Swanson. And to a much greater degree- just 2 fighters swinging wildly.

Seeing a 10 year unbeaten champion in the UFC, who many/most consider to have the most advanced movement ever, and legit P4P contender- get clowned on & outclassed in every area by a young kid who everyone thought was just gonna rush in swinging...

Call me crazy, but I found it pretty dramatic.
I think folks need to watch it again.
That fight was a work of art.

I agree with this. Choi vs Swanson was mostly sloppy brawling

Back