Garbrandt scouted Cruz's game very well, simple as that

blacknblue104

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I feel like people are reading into the result of the Garbrandt-Cruz bout a little too much...

Garbrandt came out and executed the perfect gameplan to counter Dominick's game and find the breaks in his fighting style. He was very sharp with his positioning, his counters, his defense, and he fought disciplined for the majority of the bout. I thought the amount of taunting he did was stupid, but he still managed to win so you can't say much there.

Cody isn't Superman and Dominick isn't old...Cody just scouted this particular fighter very well and had the right style of fighting to exploit the tendencies that were there. Cody has been watching Cruz since he was in high school , and he has an entire training camp of fighters that are familiar with facing Cruz as well.

Dominick is far from done, Cody fought the perfect fight last night and won...Cody vs TJ will be a very interesting fight. Would love to see the winner of that match rematch Cruz sometime next year.

he did it better than anyone else ever has,,,plus the clowning had dom swinging and missing...aka what he did to TJ

Dominick is far from done. But i don't see him beating Cody ever

There was also alot of unknowns about Cody his fights in the UFC have all ended fairly quickly and he made a reputation as a power puncher with fast hands last night he showed he also has great head movement wrestling and cardio Cruz watches lots of fights to analyze guys both for Fox and for tape on guys he's going to fight he may have just pegged him as a fast handed power puncher with decent wrestling who was gonna come in super aggressive and sloppy I sure did as did many others

Cody showed more discipline in his fight than he did in interviews and stuff . That's for sure it surprised me I thought he was gonna chase Dom all night but he was countering

There was also alot of unknowns about Cody his fights in the UFC have all ended fairly quickly and he made a reputation as a power puncher with fast hands last night he showed he also has great head movement wrestling and cardio Cruz watches lots of fights to analyze guys both for Fox and for tape on guys he's going to fight he may have just pegged him as a fast handed power puncher with decent wrestling who was gonna come in super aggressive and sloppy I sure did as did many others

I agree, I think the lack of MMA footage on Garbrandt actually benefited him in this fight. He showed a wider array of MMA skill and variety than he had shown in the past, but I think a lot of it was him rising to the occasion and also coming from a gym that was very familiar with the opponent.

I think Cody essentially had "the drop" on Dominick in this fight...Dominick has a lot more footage of himself out there than Cody does, Cody was able to use that along with the prior experience of the Team Alpha Male camp to put together a counter-plan for Dominick's game. Even though Cruz's style is unique, anybody's style can be countered if there are even a few repeated tendencies.

Cody fought as the counterstriker for the majority of the fight, not as the usual aggressive boxer-puncher style that we usually see him as. He also showed the ability to throw some key punches in the right spaces that were very crucial in tying his strategy together.

I would love to see a rematch though...Dominick will definitely make some adjustments in the next fight, he definitely deserves the opportunity to run this one back.

It was impressive the way he approached the fight, if they ever rematched I would have it even though. Dont act like Dom wouldnt come back with a cunning gameplan, Dom even in defeat still looked awesome. Congrats to NoLove, perfect performance.

I agree, I think the lack of MMA footage on Garbrandt actually benefited him in this fight. He showed a wider array of MMA skill and variety than he had shown in the past, but I think a lot of it was him rising to the occasion and also coming from a gym that was very familiar with the opponent.

I think Cody essentially had "the drop" on Dominick in this fight...Dominick has a lot more footage of himself out there than Cody does, Cody was able to use that along with the prior experience of the Team Alpha Male camp to put together a counter-plan for Dominick's game. Even though Cruz's style is unique, anybody's style can be countered if there are even a few repeated tendencies.

Cody fought as the counterstriker for the majority of the fight, not as the usual aggressive boxer-puncher style that we usually see him as. He also showed the ability to throw some key punches in the right spaces that were very crucial in tying his strategy together.

I would love to see a rematch though...Dominick will definitely make some adjustments in the next fight, he definitely deserves the opportunity to run this one back.

If you didn't catch the post fight interview with Dom he said he would understand if tj got the next shot and he's definetly deserving (great fight/ TAM drama build-up) Cruz is a smart guy he knows dillashaw based his style off his and probably wants to see how Cody fights tj to get even more footage and a better read on him plus that cut was nasty he's got to have a 6month suspension

Huge Cruz fan but I'd rather see tj get the shother after 2 straight wins and losing a close decision himself which definetly should have been ran back instead of trying to squeeze the money out of faber but let Cruz get a win then rematch

135lb just got really interesting tj/Cody tj/Dom 2 cody/Dom 2 Edgar might drop down to 135lbs and it's also got studs like Dodson lineker assucano Rivera etc

Well Team Alpha Male have had 91 training camps to scout Dom so they were bound to get it right eventually.

He surprised me last night, the little fella with the c-collar got my attention

I feel like people are reading into the result of the Garbrandt-Cruz bout a little too much...

Garbrandt came out and executed the perfect gameplan to counter Dominick's game and find the breaks in his fighting style. He was very sharp with his positioning, his counters, his defense, and he fought disciplined for the majority of the bout. I thought the amount of taunting he did was stupid, but he still managed to win so you can't say much there.

Cody isn't Superman and Dominick isn't old...Cody just scouted this particular fighter very well and had the right style of fighting to exploit the tendencies that were there. Cody has been watching Cruz since he was in high school , and he has an entire training camp of fighters that are familiar with facing Cruz as well.

Dominick is far from done, Cody fought the perfect fight last night and won...Cody vs TJ will be a very interesting fight. Would love to see the winner of that match rematch Cruz sometime next year.

i was very surprised that dom could not do shit wrestling wise
also, cody was very good a dodging holy shit

Cody fought brilliantly. The people saying Cruz can't bridge that gap are crazy though. I'm not saying he will. And it's certainly possible that Dom declines from here. But Garbrandt fought pretty flawlessly outside of the 5th and it was still close, but clear.

Last edited:
I was also surprised that Dominick couldn't get any takedowns on Cody, but Dominick has always been the most successful when he hides his takedowns behind his striking. He never really got to establish his striking to the point where he could bait Cody into a takedown, so that was kind of understandable.

I hate to say this, but I feel like Cruz's injuries and knees might have been a factor in this fight. The one thing that Cruz seems to have lost since coming back is the frequency of his kicks.

Before all his knee surgeries, Dominick threw a lot more kicks from a lot more angles- He would throw whipping leg kicks from wide angles, he would throw multi-kick combinations to opposite sides of the body, and he would threw A LOT more head kicks.

The head kicks and whipping low kicks would have been the perfect answer to Cody's hooks and right hand (his most dangerous weapons in the fight).

Not trying to make some crazy excuse for Dominick, but I think the knee surgeries have effected his kicking ability (or at least the variety and frequency of his kicks). Not taking anyting away from Cody, it was still a really good performance from him.

Back