Gaps in the Armor: How to beat Renan Barao

Jab and run isn't going to cut it.

Have you seen his arm reach? That's the reason people don't like to jab him. He has incredible reach .

There's a way to beat Barao???

yeah how did that pickett fight end? getting clipped while standing... while you make good observations barao's greatest strength is the ability to adapt to his opponents strategy almost at will.. he is the mma equivalent of k1 fighter petrosyan

lol wtf is this. Barao has an open stance, so jab...

but then again he positions his hands to parry a lot..

this isn't much of a gameplan or a weakness.

yeah how did that pickett fight end? getting clipped while standing... while you make good observations barao's greatest strength is the ability to adapt to his opponents strategy almost at will.. he is the mma equivalent of k1 fighter petrosyan

yes, but I think Ded

Dillashaw has strengths of his own, a very good jiu jitsu, he can set up his game with Strong punching and wrestling, I hope Barao wins because I find dillashaw a boring fighter who depends too much on hugging the oponente, but it'll be a good fight.

Ever seen Dillashaw fight? He's not much of a hugger

That was a good read TS.

Like others, I think Barao is here to stay.

Amazing read Discipulus; very informative.

This thread is too good for sherdog, lol.

I wouldn't say that his last three finishes were emphatic.

Wineland was in recovery mode when the fight was stopped (prematurely).

And Uriah got screwed.

I think he would have won both of those fights anyway. But to say that they were emphatic stoppages is insincere at best.
Uriah couldn't have jogged a block on that leg before both finishes in both fights. You're delusional bud haha

To beat Barao you need a fighter with an amazing soccer base, Jose Aldo for example.

The problem with jabbing against Barao is that he can parry and outjab you, seriously, his jab is really good.

So basically the article is saying that a fighter like Cruz would give Barao his toughest challenge. Someone who feints convincingly, uses great footwork, and uses jabs to set up kicks.

writing style of the article seems a bit ostentatious and trying to be more clever than it needs to be

It was an interesting read but the problem with a lot of game plans are the fight actually starts.

Looking with redundancies and small openings works a little better at the heavier weights. Barao is too fast, too creative, too unpredictable, and too dangerous to try to sit back and look for little things to capitalize on IMO. A guy like that, you just got to match the killer attitude and hope an exchange breaks your way. Barao is one of the natural instinct fighters who seems to just instantly see something and react. The same way Aldo kneed Mendez and KOed him.

Its not even that I disagree with you but I just don't think someone is going to have the time and getting cracked will change things in a hurry. You gotta take a guy like that out hard and fast or have the ability to smother him and control him on the ground. TJ is going to have to hope he hurts him early and needs to go for broke the second the bell rings. Doesn't mean he has to be reckless or stupid but he needs to ratchet the aggressiveness up as much as it can go because Barao is not a guy you want to keep taking your chances with. You gotta catch a break early

Good read, kinda reminding of Jack Slack type of article

Some good details were spotted in Barao's game but still type of fighter that would implement that type of gameplan on Barao are very few.

He would have to be quicker than Barao, have amazing jab (which actually only few people have in UFC, GSP of course and Cruz too) and he would have to be bigger than Barao having bigger reach. Now all that said there is not a guy like that in BW right now.

The other thing, X factor which makes Barao such a great champ, is ability to adapt his gameplan during fight. Much like Silva and Jones, he can improvise, study you and throw your gameplan out the window. Thats the thing that makes the difference between champs and contenders. So to beat Barao you need to adapt to his adapting, kinda hard

Back