Gap between BJJ clubs

In general, if I can find out the instructor and his lineage, the average number of students in the class, and an idea of tournament success, I can get a good idea of how good the gym is.

One thing I appreciate is a decent amount of tenured students. You really hit the jackpot if you have a gym with many tenured students who are cool and will share technique. I can say from experience that Roberto Maia's Boston BJJ and Renzo's in NY are good examples of this, plenty of tough rolls with different skill levels and body types.

Very correct. Renzo's gym is great from what I've been hearing about it. The gym you pick should have an atmosphere that suits you. If you don't like it, you probably shouldn't train there.

Why drill a basic collar choke for 5 minutes right? Pfft, just do it twice and remember you got that shit on lock. More time for butterfly stretches, holding onto your toes and shit.

tumblr_m37l2kbHzI1qihztbo1_400_zpsb82f115e.gif

Just tack on some Metamoris talk, and you've literally just described an actual practice of mine. Me and a purple belt are trying to get some drilling done with separate partners, but they were too busy shooting the shit after like 2 minutes. We ended up drilling together to actually get some work done.

tumblr_m37l2kbHzI1qihztbo1_400_zpsb82f115e.gif

Just tack on some Metamoris talk, and you've literally just described an actual practice of mine. Me and a purple belt are trying to get some drilling done with separate partners, but they were too busy shooting the shit after like 2 minutes. We ended up drilling together to actually get some work done.

I am glad my gym does not put up with that shit.

I see this periodically when someone comes in from a gym where that is allowed. They start chatting up their partner during drilling so bad their partner can't even work anymore.

The whole mat just stares them down, and they usually get the hint. If not, the instructor will just bark at them to shut up and train.

I don't care if people want to do that at their own gyms, but we have a good thing going. Don't come up in my gym and ruin the environment for everyone else. We are all there to train.

Bullshit before class, after class, on days you don't have class -- just any time except actual class.

Well, my BJJ training has always been disjointed at best. My avatar is only a half joke.

At one club, we went through several changes of the guard. It seriously just depended on whoever was running the place. Where one instructor would not like that shit fly, another was a well paid open mat supervisor.

Back