Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

Only meaningful upgrade for the consoles is the replaceable hard drive in the PS4 which you can upgrade with an internal 2.5" SATA SSD. You can buy external SSDs for the Xbox, but that's sort of pointless because you can't replace the internal mechanical HDD that the OS runs on. You can also replace the factory drive with an SSD, but it's more of a hassle with the Xbox One.

SSDs are a more useful upgrade to PC owners who aren't waiting on a weak CPU to build the game world during loads, but it's a nice step up for responsiveness.

Indeed, but this amounts to the maintenance of one's own product. At the point that you are are both electrically re-engineering the hardware and writing code for the transformed product you are engaging in an educational passion project where the project itself becomes the purpose. The consoles aren't designed to run with upgrades to the CPU, GPU, or RAM as Microsoft and Sony intended them.
Follow this guide instead , and dump an SSD inside the Xbox.

https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/7969/quick-guide-upgrading-xbox-one-internal-storage/index.html

So I’ve been deep deep down the damn rabbit hole on ssd and drive upgrading on the Xbox for a few hours now.

It’s tricky to get an ssd upgrade to drastically reduce load times, but it can be done.

Pretty easy to get an ssd in there and get cloned and working, but without some work, it’s actually performance wise, better to just use an external ssd through the USB port and leave the os on the stock hdd(which is what I have) , if you want to do the research and the dirty work, you can get the internal to work at closer to pc ssd speeds but it’s not easy.

Found a guy that had a raid 0 array, with two drives working pretty fast, but none of it works like the Dev Kit xbox(god I want one now) with its m.2 nvme internal drive.

I already hotlinked an article that showed how to install an internal SSD in the Xbox One.
No, your guide wasn’t for an ssd, I read it it was for an SSHD, the one I posted is specific to ssd and how to partition them correctly.

No, your guide wasn’t for an ssd, I read it it was for an SSHD, the one I posted is specific to ssd and how to partition them correctly.
The method he suggests refers to a master partition file that would work for any drive, and doesn't suffer from a potential issue with a future factory reset the way the cloning strategies do.

Here's a great video on how to build a $100 gaming machine on a budget, i5-3470 & RX460, with links on where to purchase.
Video is timestamped to benchmarks for Apex Legends, Fortnite, Farcry 5, Rainbow Six Siege, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Here's a great video on how to build a $100 gaming machine on a budget, i5-3470 & RX460, with links on where to purchase.
Video is timestamped to benchmarks for Apex Legends, Fortnite, Farcry 5, Rainbow Six Siege, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

So I picked up a free core 2 quad 6700 that has a dead video card my buddy was throwing away(I haven’t checked if the card is actually dead yet he said it was, he upgraded the card and said it burnt up right after years ago) I pulled his hd’s Out and was gonna upgrade it for him at first but he didcided to just throw it out so I was gonna mess with it and make a media pc out of it.

As cheap as this is I might just buy one of these instead. I already have a 1050ti to put in it.

Plus the ram is funky in the hp I got. It has 4 ram slots and 8gb max, but each rail is 2gb max so I need 4x2 for it.

It has 3gb from factory now, 2x1 and 2x512, I was like wtf, looked up the specs, that’s how the mfer came.

Tl:dr
I think I’m gonna buy one and try it with a 1050ti and post the result comparisons for anyone wanting to do this and on the fence about to use the card in the link or a craigslist 1050ti and an ssd.

But thanks for the vid, the buying links are awesome and it’s cool for every ten they sell they are donating one to a needy household with no home pc

Sweet this finally came.

thumbnail-20190329-155252.jpg

So I picked up a free core 2 quad 6700 that has a dead video card my buddy was throwing away(I haven’t checked if the card is actually dead yet he said it was, he upgraded the card and said it burnt up right after years ago) I pulled his hd’s Out and was gonna upgrade it for him at first but he didcided to just throw it out so I was gonna mess with it and make a media pc out of it.

As cheap as this is I might just buy one of these instead. I already have a 1050ti to put in it.

Plus the ram is funky in the hp I got. It has 4 ram slots and 8gb max, but each rail is 2gb max so I need 4x2 for it.

It has 3gb from factory now, 2x1 and 2x512, I was like wtf, looked up the specs, that’s how the mfer came.

Tl:dr
I think I’m gonna buy one and try it with a 1050ti and post the result comparisons for anyone wanting to do this and on the fence about to use the card in the link or a craigslist 1050ti and an ssd.

But thanks for the vid, the buying links are awesome and it’s cool for every ten they sell they are donating one to a needy household with no home pc

I have my q6600 paired with one of those oem rx460’s from the video above and it does struggle with modern AAA titles, but it still works great for esports.
Make sure which ram you have when you order new stuff. Most 775 boards are DDR2, but some of the later ones are DDR3.
If you get it running and want to tinker, some boards will support socket 771 Xeons with a little modification. They’re dirt cheap as well.

I have my q6600 paired with one of those oem rx460’s from the video above and it does struggle with modern AAA titles, but it still works great for esports.
Make sure which ram you have when you order new stuff. Most 775 boards are DDR2, but some of the later ones are DDR3.
If you get it running and want to tinker, some boards will support socket 771 Xeons with a little modification. They’re dirt cheap as well.

It’s ddr2, I pulled the full specs on the pc already.

And yeah I’ve read about the Xeon conversion for 771 some. Thought about it but don’t know if it’s worth the hassle.

Especially with the 60.00 I-5 deal.

It would be fun to do at some point though.

"
Upgrade your PC with a powerful 8-core AMD Ryzen CPU and an overclock-ready motherboard for $290 "

"
Newegg’s offering a juicy discount on PC parts that can serve of the heart of a computer built for productivity or playtime. The online retailer is selling the powerful AMD Ryzen 7 2700 processor with MSI’s B450-A Pro motherboard for $290. That’s about $50 off what you’d pay without this deal right now, and less than the cost of the CPU alone when it launched last year.

The Ryzen 7 2700 is a 3.2GHz eight-core, 16 thread CPU, with a boost clock of 4.1GHz. This thing screams at productivity tasks with all those cores, and it’s no slouch in the gaming department either. In the box you get the processor and AMD’s Wraith Spire cooler with RGB LEDs, because every gaming PC apparently needs RGB these days."

https://www.pcworld.com/article/338...-overclock-ready-motherboard-for-290.amp.html

Well, they were already gone by the time I saw it, but this was insane:

Question from user @youngsteinel:

Hi guys, I didn't know where else to post this so I thought this might be the best spot.

A computer game I am looking to download has a minimum requirement of "OpenGL 2" under graphics and under my graphics on my computer it says "Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB". My question is: will I be able to download the game? If not, what will I need to download to make this happen. Trying to get into some Rollercoaster Tycoon on my mac. Thanks in advance.

I decided I wanted to set up another computer in my bedroom, so I needed a new desk.

I'll put my current glass desk in my room, and put the gaming desk I just bought where my gaming computer is.

It's a pretty popular gaming desk, It's the Arozzi Arena desk. Its bigger than my current desk and it was on sale $130 off

51uGpZicjWL._SX425_.jpg

Picked up a new monitor for Shooters. Asus Rog Swift 1ms 240hz 1080p
Call of duty edition. Finally went on sale for 599.99 down from 749.99 at best buy.

customizable.png

This brought some chuckles.