Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

PC Magazine > One year later, this ongoing burn-in test shines light on OLED displays
As he says in the intro to the Test #1 one-year update video the results are practically very good if you don't use the televisions heavily with static images somewhere on the screen, but of course this is a concern for gamers who often have HUDs or other logos that are permanently plastered on the screen if they play the same game all the time.

Test #1: Real Life OLED Burn-In Test on 6 TVs (LG C7 Models)
(initiated on January 24, 2018; updated January 11, 2019)

w4tdy2fEnCEv5L59nQmDQ4.jpg

Test #2: 20/7 Burn-In Test: OLED vs. VA vs. IPS

(initiated on August 31, 2017; updated January 11, 2019)

Static test, not real world usage, designed to showcase the pure tendencies of the different display types.

39791530253_4354c36952_c.jpg

Yeah I don't play games on my OLED, I don't wanna risk any burn in and thankfully I don't watch anything with static images. Some of the 2018 models have a dimming feature when it detects a static logo which can help but they'd have to do some testing specifically for games on that. Though a lot of HUD elements tend to be transparent and fairly dim compared to news logos and whatnot. Still I wouldnt risk it lol.

Today is the day that Nvidia released their driver having G-Sync support prior non-certified monitors. List of supported monitors: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/
I have a monitor on the preapproved list and as soon as I updated the driver, it identified the panel as Gsync compatible and made the sound like when you plug in a USB stick.
Only issue I had was that it didn’t work in games on Windowed mode. I had to go into the Nvidia control panel and select the box “full screen + windowed mode”, only full screen was selected.

Gonna be buying the ROG strux RX 570 RGB version very soon.

Out of pocket expenses is gonna bring it down to $19 (yes you read that correct. I'll be paying $19 out of pocket)

I am excited. Finally get to toss my HD5850

Tech Deals doing unboxings of 6 GTX 2060's and doing comparisons

I like the 2060 but you can still get a new 1070 for $50 less. It's a great alternative to the 1070 Ti though.

I like the 2060 but you can still get a new 1070 for $50 less. It's a great alternative to the 1070 Ti though.
If you're the type of person that buys a new card every year or two, I'd save the $50 and buy a 1070. If you like to hang onto your hardware for 3-4 years, I'd buy the 2060.
The 2060 already has higher frame rates than the 1070. Farther down the road in a couple of years when games start using DLSS, that gap will widen.

The 6gb of VRAM might hurt the 2060 in the future though. We're already seeing games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider using more than 6gb's.

If you're the type of person that buys a new card every year or two, I'd save the $50 and buy a 1070. If you like to hang onto your hardware for 3-4 years, I'd buy the 2060.
The 2060 already has higher frame rates than the 1070. Farther down the road in a couple of years when games start using DLSS, that gap will widen.

The 6gb of VRAM might hurt the 2060 in the future though. We're already seeing games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider using more than 6gb's.

I already have a 1070 (got an EVGA SC for $250 used locally) and it's perfect for 1080p since I never drop below 60 FPS on high/ultra.

I already have a 1070 (got an EVGA SC for $250 used locally) and it's perfect for 1080p since I never drop below 60 FPS on high/ultra.
I'm in the same spot, a 1070ti. Even at 1440p max settings on AAA games, I rarely see dips under 60 fps. I had planned on going with an AMD card for my next gen since I have a FreeSync monitor, but since Nvidia offers it now on there cards I'm no longer going to be tied down to 1 company.

Acer XG270HU 27" 1440p 144hz TN Freesync for $300 on Newegg. The Monitor is on the Nvidia certified list. Review
24-009-769-14.jpg

Seems like monitors are the thing this week. Off the BPC wire:

1. Curved
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33821
  2. Flat
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=113&cp_id=11320&cs_id=1130703&p_id=33822&seq=1&format=2
338211.jpg

32", VA, 1440p, 144Hz, 1ms, Freesync2.
Blue = 32" 16:9 (this panel); Green= 27" 16:9 panel
32-inch-16x9-vs-27-inch-16x9.png
Both made by Samsung. #1 (the curved variant) there is the same display panel that is in the Samsung C32HG70 which runs $550 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-C32HG70-32-Inch-Monitor-C32HG70QQN/dp/B06XT6WQCJ

A critical 4-star review from an Amazon buyer who opines you should just pretend the spec sheet doesn't say "Freesync":
PDATE: 11/16/17 - Samsung has released another firmware update that lowers Freesync range down to 48-144hz. The overdrive issue remains. tftcentral has published a wonderful review that brings to light this monitors biggest weakness (pixel response times, black smearing, etc).

UPDATE: 10/27/17 - I can't recommend this monitor for Freesync users as it's become clear why Samsung ships these with such a poor Freesync range (72-144hz). When Freesync is active and you are in Freesync range, there is some extremely bad ghosting (overshoot) with dark transitions that appear to be from a lack of adaptive overdrive. It is less apparent at higher FPS but get's really obvious below 100FPS in games like Deus Ex.

To test this manually, I used CRU and deleted the vendor specific block, extended Freesync range to 36-144hz and fired up a few games. At or Below 70-60FPS the ghosting is so bad that it's unbearable. Disabling Freesync completely clears things up so as of right now it looks like there is something wonky with the overdrive implementation and Freesync.

All tests were done on the latest firmware.

PREVIOUS INFO:

-This monitor is not flicker free. It uses 360hz PWM at anything below 95 brightness.

-The overdrive settings (Fast, Faster) strobe the backlight to improve motion clarity. You lose all brightness control and Freesync when activating this and it's not quite on the level of Nvidia ULMB but close and a significant improvement.

-The original Freesync range was 80-144hz but Freesync 2 certification requires that supported monitors have LFC. Samsung has released numerous firmware updates (via USB thumb drive) since the monitor was released and the Freesync range is now 72-144hz enabling LFC.

-It only has 8 edge lit dimming zones (4 per side) which can result in blooming but IMO is still an improvement vs no local dimming. Having it on means loading screens are pitch black, etc.

-Don't buy this monitor for HDR, Windows 10 HDR implementation is broken + this monitor gets no where near bright enough to matter for HDR content. Although it has a wide color gamut, the lack of brightness (and dimming zones) results in crushed blacks.

-Although the monitor is very fast for a VA, there is still very minor G2G pixel response issues. It's basically impossible to notice unless you know exactly what to look for and go out of your way to find it.

Overall a great monitor. The only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars is because of how much variance I've witnessed between the 3 samples I've had. BTW, they come factory calibrated with a calibration report in the box.
Here is that TFT Central review he mentions:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/samsung_c32hg70.htm

Unfortunately, I missed flagging that previously mentioned HP Pavilion blowout for even $20 cheaper from Best Buy at $499, but it remains at $549 after the lapse. Only the Ryzen 5 model. The Ryzen 7 variant is back to retail above $1K:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pav...shed-hairline-pattern/6280608.p?skuId=6280608

Last edited:
so i need a new widescreen 34in monitor? Anyone know any for 300-400$?

1440p

Acer XG270HU 27" 1440p 144hz TN Freesync for $300 on Newegg. The Monitor is on the Nvidia certified list. Review
24-009-769-14.jpg
I have two of these
https://www.microcenter.com/product...d-144hz-dvi-hdmi-dp-curved-gaming-led-monitor

And have been thinking about switching one of them out for the 1440p variant. (Everything the same except it’s 1440p 144hrz instead of 1080p 144hrz, same stand curve everything)

How would that acer look between the two curved msi’s??

That might be too much, or odd to have two curved on the outside with a flat in the middle??

so i need a new widescreen 34in monitor? Anyone know any for 300-400$?

1440p
Good luck. You'll need it. Some models to watch for sales:
https://techguided.com/cheap-ultrawide-monitors/
https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/
*Black Friday sale price; also watch eBay

Frankly, I think if you want a 34" 1440p Ultrawide gaming monitor you're going to be much, much better off by increasing your budget to $550+.

Brand new bulk HP OEM RX460 2gb for $52 on ebay with coupon code OZTALKS. Performance is equal to a 750ti.

s-l500.jpg

24-009-769-14.jpg
And it’s back to 429.00

I’ve got to be quicker on these deals. I take too long deciding if I want something and looking at specs.

I never could find what display it was tn/ips etc.

I’m about to breakdown and buy another new monitor.

I LOVE my msi 144hrz 1080p’s FOR GAMING but have been a nightmare with photo and video editing due to color correction not matching and looking like SHIT when displayed on other devices.

I’ve hooked back up an old janky ass 1080 monitor for photo editing right now and think I might get either a flat panel to go between my two curved monitors or just get rid of one of them I wouldn’t actually get rid of it since as soon as I moved one to hook up the other monitor for a test the woman jacked one and it’s on her desk connected to her laptop.

Even though the old monitor I gave her has more matching color to her laptop and is the same size(dell 27” flat panel 1080p 60hrz)

Brand new bulk HP OEM RX460 2gb for $52 on ebay with coupon code OZTALKS. Performance is equal to a 750ti.

s-l500.jpg

Interesting.

I was actually thinking about building a budget pc with a 750ti, I might try one of these out.

Interesting.

I was actually thinking about building a budget pc with a 750ti, I might try one of these out.

Find an old business PC that has an i5-2400 or newer and you'll have a low-med eSports machine. You should be able to find one for $75 or lower locally. Even if you have to go to ebay, you can get a i5-3470, 8gb ram, 250gb HDD, Win 10 machine for $120. Just make sure to get a full tower size. Add a $35 240gb SSD and you're into the system for $207.
It would make a great media center and couch gaming pc.
Some of those prebuilt computers can be upgraded to xeons, check the manufactures page for approved cpu's. If you can find a really cheap i3 Sandy or Ivy Bridge computer, you can get Xeon E3-1230's which are 4 core/8 threads 3.2ghz base/ 3.8ghz turbo for $55

Last edited: