Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

The big takeaway from the Nvidia keynote imo was Nvidia cards arefinally getting Async, or as AMD calls it Freesync.

Nvidia may have invented G-Sync -- the proprietary graphics technology that makes PC games buttery smooth and eliminates screen tearing -- but today open standards are making a comeback. After fighting a losing battle against AMD's vast FreeSync monitor ecosystem (which utilizes the VESA Adaptive Sync protocol and doesn't rely on proprietary hardware), Nvidia has finally announced it will start introducing G-Sync compatibility to non G-Sync displays.
Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang dropped the news during Nvidia's CES 2019 press conference, and it's quite a bomb:
"We're going to test every async monitor the world has made, and for the ones that pass, we're going to certify them, and we're going to optimize the software to support them, and we're going to turn it on in our software so that whatever Geforce customer enjoys that panel can now enjoy it as if they purchased a G-Sync monitor."
In an accompanying press release, Nvidia writes that adaptive sync monitors that pass compatibility testing and get certified will have G-Sync enabled by default in the GeForce driver. But even if they don't pass, Nvidia will still allow customers to enable the feature manually. This will start rolling out as soon as January 15.
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fjasonevangelho%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F01%2F6-g-sync-compatible-monitors.jpg

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...ment-is-more-than-meets-the-eye/#3493b63b6b4d

Edit: Gordon from PCWorld did an interview late last night with Nvidia peoples and they said Pascal and Turing cards are getting Async support. So 900 series on down aren’t getting it.

Last edited:
The big takeaway from the Nvidia keynote imo was Nvidia cards arefinally getting Async, or as AMD calls it Freesync.

Nvidia may have invented G-Sync -- the proprietary graphics technology that makes PC games buttery smooth and eliminates screen tearing -- but today open standards are making a comeback. After fighting a losing battle against AMD's vast FreeSync monitor ecosystem (which utilizes the VESA Adaptive Sync protocol and doesn't rely on proprietary hardware), Nvidia has finally announced it will start introducing G-Sync compatibility to non G-Sync displays.
Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang dropped the news during Nvidia's CES 2019 press conference, and it's quite a bomb:
"We're going to test every async monitor the world has made, and for the ones that pass, we're going to certify them, and we're going to optimize the software to support them, and we're going to turn it on in our software so that whatever Geforce customer enjoys that panel can now enjoy it as if they purchased a G-Sync monitor."
In an accompanying press release, Nvidia writes that adaptive sync monitors that pass compatibility testing and get certified will have G-Sync enabled by default in the GeForce driver. But even if they don't pass, Nvidia will still allow customers to enable the feature manually. This will start rolling out as soon as January 15.
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fjasonevangelho%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F01%2F6-g-sync-compatible-monitors.jpg

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...ment-is-more-than-meets-the-eye/#3493b63b6b4d

Edit: Gordon from PCWorld did an interview late last night with Nvidia peoples and they said Pascal and Turing cards are getting Async support. So 900 series on down aren’t getting it.
So if I read this right, current “freesync” monitors that pass thier “async” tests will get driver update in Nvidia cards 10 series and above that will allow them to work with “freesync” monitors?

My monitors are freesync, and I have a 970 currently, so this doesn’t really affect me at the moment(but would if I got a 1080ti right?)

I’ve never experience screen tearing that I’ve noticed so I haven’t been too concerned with it yet.

I guess I really need to play something that will push my 970 to that point.

I’m about to get a 1440p 144hz monitor soon so I have been debating graphic card update and was thinking of a Vega because my monitors are freesync. But this might make me sway more to a 1080ti, which is what I think I would prefer anyway.

Interesting anyway, if I’m reading this right

These 12 FreeSync monitors will soon be compatible with Nvidia’s G-Sync
  • Acer XFA240
  • Acer XG270HU
  • Acer XV273K
  • Acer XZ321Q
  • AOC AGON AG241QG4
  • AOC G2590FX
  • Asus MG278Q
  • Asus XG248 / XG258
  • Asus VG258Q
  • BenQ XL2740
Damn my monitors aren’t on the list (msi g27c 27” curved 1080p 144hrz)
https://www.microcenter.com/product...d-144hz-dvi-hdmi-dp-curved-gaming-led-monitor

I’ve been thinking of adding the same one, from the same series but the 1440p 144hrz varient to match

Damn my monitors aren’t on the list (msi g27c 27” curved 1080p 144hrz)
https://www.microcenter.com/product...d-144hz-dvi-hdmi-dp-curved-gaming-led-monitor

I’ve been thinking of adding the same one, from the same series but the 1440p 144hrz varient to match
The Acer XG270HU, Asus MG278Q, and BenQ XL2740 would all make a Top 10 list of 27" Monitors if I were to put one together. I wouldn't be surprised to see this announcement inflate their prices. With the ability to support either NVIDIA or AMD cards via Freesync they have become skeleton keys in the monitor world.

CES 2019 Day 1 Recap: All the Best New Tech
I'm not seeing a whole lot else that intrigues me.
-- Samsung and LG both make REALLY big 8K TVs you won't want for a solid decade
-- Samsung has really cool MicroLED tech that it clearly has no idea how to practically market, and seems to be begging consumers for inspiration
-- AMD wet the tip with Ryzen 3000 laptops & Chromebooks that will be met with, "I guess it's good enough" across a million different sets of lips worldwide
-- NVIDIA bored the floor with the RTX 2060 that appeals to literally nobody alive
-- You can watch Netflix in HDR on your Razer phone. Yeah, you wanted it, you got it
-- Asus built a 10-pound Surface Pro for gaming...no other product announced this week will be this confused, it's impossible

I'm pretty sure Google built Shelbyville because they know we fucking hate Shelbyville

169-google-assistant-ces-2018-booth-tour.jpg

The Acer XG270HU, Asus MG278Q, and BenQ XL2740 would all make a Top 10 list of 27" Monitors if I were to put one together. I wouldn't be surprised to see this announcement inflate their prices. With the ability to support either NVIDIA or AMD cards via Freesync they have become skeleton keys in the monitor world.

-- Samsung has really cool MicroLED tech that it clearly has no idea how to practically market, and seems to be begging consumers for inspiration
-- AMD wet the tip with Ryzen 3000 laptops & Chromebooks that will be met with, "I guess it's good enough" across a million different sets of lips worldwide
-- NVIDIA bored the floor with the RTX 2060 that appeals to literally nobody alive
-- You can watch Netflix in HDR on your Razer phone. Yeah, you wanted it, you got it
-- Asus built a 10-pound Surface Pro for gaming...no other product announced this week will be this confused, it's impossible

I'm pretty sure Google built Shelbyville because they know we fucking hate Shelbyville

I paid $280 for the Acer XG270HU in December of 2018.

I paid $280 for the Acer XG270HU in December of 2018.
Damn that’s a hell of a price up.

At the time the msi’s Were the best deal I could find on sale for 249, with a 50.00 mail in rebate so I got them for 200.00 each
Not a bad deal for 1080p 27” curved 144hrz monitors if you ask me.

Damn that’s a hell of a price up.

At the time the msi’s Were the best deal I could find on sale for 249, with a 50.00 mail in rebate so I got them for 200.00 each
Not a bad deal for 1080p 27” curved 144hrz monitors if you ask me.

I just did a quick newegg search and a 27" 1440p 144hz Gsync is around $550. Even at it's current price, it's still 2/3 of the cost of Gsync monitor.

There's still hope, you'll be able to test it since there will be a manual toggle.

Edit: Gordon ftw again. Here’s him showing what happens when a monitor isn’t certified and you turn the feature on.

Last edited:
A bit disappointing that after two days my favorite product announced so far is an overpriced product line update.

-CS-9040001-NA-Gallery-CORSAIR-ONE-PRO-i180-01.png

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...ing-desktop-core-i9-chip-rtx-geforce-ces-2019
Straight out of Corsair’s CES announcements this year is the One Pro i180 Compact Workstation PC, a small and powerful machine by workstation standards. The One i180 has an Intel Core i9-9920X 12-core processor with a top clock speed of 4.5GHz, alongside Nvidia RTX 2080Ti graphics that allow you to take advantage of Nvidia’s ray tracing technology.

The compact 12-core Corsair workstation can be fitted with up to 32GB of quad-channel RAM, a 960GB M.2 SSD for storage, and 2TB HDD to bolster it, so this is a desktop PC that’s capable of the most demanding tasks. Although for some reason Corsair thought a workstation PC wouldn’t be complete without RGB lighting, so they added it and bundled its iCUE app to control it. As for the price of this behemoth PC? It’s an equally hefty $4,999.

If the 12-core workstation is overkill for you (maybe it’s the price?), Corsair also has more consumer gaming-oriented variants in the form of the i160 and i140, priced at $2,999 and $3,599, respectively. Both models take on the case redesign of the more powerful model, as well as liquid cooling for both the GPU and CPU. The i160 compact gaming desktop sports an Intel Core i9-9900K processor and GeForce RTX 2080 Ti graphics, while the i140 has a Core i7-9700K chip and GeForce RTX 2080 GPU. Overall, these are specs that should handle any games on ultra settings.
But if you have the big bucks that's the best prebuilt micro gaming PC on the market, hands down.
Corsair-One-i180-Pro.jpg

Corsair-One-Pro-i180-740x544.jpg

CORSAIR_ONE_PRO_06.png

CORSAIR_ONE_PRO_05.png

CORSAIR_ONE_PRO_03.png

CORSAIR_ONE_PRO_08.png

Have you seen the theme park ride they built at CES?

https://www.youtube.com/c/AMD/live

*Mick's Edit*
The live video above is now a dead link, but AMD uploaded their keynote to YouTube. I fetched it and pasted it here instead of adding a redundant post. Timestamped below to start at the intros. CEO Lisa Su arrives onstage at 21:10 if you want to skip ahead, and the Radeon VII is introduced at 53:41:

Anandtech did a wonderful minute-by-minute summary of the keynote below if you prefer print:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1382...live-blog-looking-ahead-starts-9am-pt-5pm-utc

Last edited by a moderator:

A truly meager show when they're trying to pitch rebranding marketing as the year's innovative upcoming offerings.

LG/Alienware now makes a 55" "gaming OLED TV" that runs up to 120Hz with no G-Sync or Freesync? Yeah, we know. They have for years. This isn't even a headline in 2013.