Games Of A Generation: The Peoples Top 100

DoMeFavors

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Plenty of debate and discussion with IGN's top 100 as seen in Hyperglide's thread...

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f88/igns-top-100-games-generation-2746913/

So IGN opened up voting from the people to see how a list based off the votes would look like...over 65,000 votes were cast...here is the top 100...

100. Max Payne 3
99. Saints Row: The Third
98. Dragon's Dogma
97. Forza Motorsport 4
96. Crysis II
95. Batman: Arkham Origins
94. Left 4 Dead
93. LittleBigPlanet
92. Final Fantasy XIII
91. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
90. Halo: ODST
89. Donkey Kong Country Returns
88. South Park: The Stick of Truth
87. Burnout Paradise
86. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
85. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
84. Infamous
83. Diablo III
82. Fable II
81. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
80. Just Cause 2
79. Infamous 2
78. Dead Space 2
77. Left 4 Dead 2
76. BioShock 2
75. L.A. Noire
74. Bastion
73. Call of Duty: World at War
72. Assassin's Creed: Revelations
71. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
70. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
69. FIFA 14
68. Mirror's Edge
67. Gears of War 2
66. Bayonetta
65. Xenoblade Chronicles
64. Half-Life 2: Episode Two
63. Assassin's Creed III
62. Sonic Generations
61. Catherine
60. Gears of War 3
59. Mario Kart Wii
58. Kirby's Epic Yarn
57. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
56. Portal
55. Demon's Souls
54. Alan Wake
53. Gears of War
52. Journey
51. Assassin's Creed
50. Tomb Raider
49. Dark Souls II
48. Call of Duty: Black Ops
47. Dishonored
46. Minecraft
45. Borderlands
44. Heavy Rain
43. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
42. Dead Space
41. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
40. Battlefield 4
39. Super Mario Galaxy 2
38. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
37. Halo 4
36. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
35. God of War III
34. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
33. The Walking Dead: Season 1
32. Halo: Reach
31. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
30. Grand Theft Auto IV
29. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
28. Dragon Age: Origins
27. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
26. Super Mario Galaxy
25. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
24. Mass Effect 3
23. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
22. Battlefield 3
21. Mass Effect
20. Batman: Arkham Asylum
19. Portal 2
18. Fallout: New Vegas
17. Borderlands 2
16. Far Cry 3
15. Dark Souls
14. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
13. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
12. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
11. Halo 3
10. Batman: Arkham City
09. BioShock: Infinite
08. Mass Effect 2
07. Assassin's Creed II
06. Bioshock
05. Red Dead Redemption
04. Fallout 3
03. Grand Theft Auto V
02. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
01. The Last of Us

http://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2014/06/04/games-of-a-generation-your-top-100-list

Overall I think it's a better list. But despite being a fan of the series, I think MGS4 is the most overrated game on that list.

I think this list makes a lot more sense. Still some games snubbed but that's unavoidable. My biggest gripe is Gears of War, Demons Souls and Dark Souls II being so low.

Last edited:
A bit surprised that on ign's list Far Cry 3 was #52, and with the people's vote it made it's way to #16...I loved the game, but had no idea how highly others thought of it...

Last of us #1?
wow.

I think CODMW2 should be top 5; in addition to being fun as hell to play, that game became cult and inspired the rest of the series and other FPS.
Other than that, it all makes sense.

Agree with TLoU at #1. Bit of a shame to see Ni No Kuni way back at #81 though. It's in my top 5 for sure. Also no Valkyria Chronicles...

I think the Bioshock games are way too high, especially Infinite.

The Last of Us may be benefiting a little bit from being fresh in people's minds as the greatest game of 2013. Not saying it's not a tremendous game but let's see how it holds up in 10 years.

that is a really shitty list IMO

all that list represents are people under the age of 30

a top 100 games list that doesnt include both Link to the Past and either Mario 64 or Super Mario World

GTF out of here with lists as shitty as this

The Last of Us may be benefiting a little bit from being fresh in people's minds as the greatest game of 2013. Not saying it's not a tremendous game but let's see how it holds up in 10 years.

Could be, but I think it's the best game I've ever had the pleasure of playing. If anything in 10 years I think it will be even more beloved, nostalgia has done wonders for the reputation of a number of games. FFVII (not even the best FF imo) Shenmue, and so many others are considered better now than they were at the time of release.

a top 100 games list that doesnt include both Link to the Past and either Mario 64 or Super Mario World

It's the top 100 of the LAST generation. Not of all time.

Still impressive it was number 1 seeing how it is a ps3 exclusive...with all the fanboys that cheer anything their console and shit on anything not on their console, for TLOU to get the votes to be number 1...

It was posted over in my thread and I agreed with most of them. No list will ever be perfect unless it's your own personal one but I think the general gaming community came to a pretty good consensus on that list. It's a lot better then IGN's biased and unwarranted list.

Dude it was for last generation only. Derp. It was the 360, PS3, Wii era. No PC or any consoles after or before. Is it really that hard to comprehend? Also I'm 33 and a lot of those games would be in my all time top 100 so calm down.

Others have covered your basic misunderstanding of the list. With that said though people under 30 would have played the games you listed as well. Under 20 would be more correct if it was applicable.

Didn't know if I should add it to your thread or start a new one, Hyperglide...Figured it would be easier to start a new thread so people could find the list in the first post and not have to search post #200 to see it...I did give a shout out to your thread and provided a link...

I wonder if some of the people with strong opinions in that thread will speak up again now that the people have spoken lol...doesn't mean this list is correct, but gives you an idea of how the average gamer ranks most games...

That list is just bad if not worse than ign's

It's a list. Make your own if you don't like it.

Last of us #1?
wow.

I think CODMW2 should be top 5; in addition to being fun as hell to play, that game became cult and inspired the rest of the series and other FPS.
Other than that, it all makes sense.

I think you mean the first MW, MW2 was great also but it wasn't a game changer like the first was

I didnt have a problem with either list, though this one is better. Seems so subjective, to say the least.

Back