Gamer putting UFC money to shame

I'm with you without getting into the deep common sense of things. I'd bet anyone who isn't understanding or challenging you is under 28.
Glorifying and spoiling kids for sitting in front of a TV all day is hard to get over. It's why they're lazy and useless AF.
Thank you for understanding.
Thats all I was trying to get at without having to getting into a heavy discussion about marketing, economics and capitalism. It’s too for early in the morning for that.

I agree with you and also don’t enjoy this culture of encouraging children to build useless skills and be plugged in all day. It’s a bit sick considering we are all fans of a sport where the athletes are literally giving their blood for pennies.

I guess I’m just getting old.

Last edited:
Huh. So "yes" was the answer to my question.

Seems like you just generally have issues with capitalism and free market economics. Definitely not something I'm interested in trying to debate with you.
I would like this but....I still have 23 hours left

I'm with you without getting into the deep common sense of things. I'd bet anyone who isn't understanding or challenging you is under 28.
Glorifying and spoiling kids for sitting in front of a TV all day is hard to get over. It's why they're lazy and useless AF.
Again, I know that theres probably not much I can do to change your mind, but I feel a need to defend myself here. Not all kids are lazy/useless.

I'm young enough that I'm sure you'd call me a kid, and yet I worked full time as a student to get through a prestigious math/stats program. Now I work 60+ hours a week modeling financial statistics for a large bank, with a specialty in optimizing credit portfolios.

Saying all young people are lazy because of what you see in the media/on tv is like saying all current middle aged people are drug addicted idiots because they grew up in the 60s and 70s when hippies were a thing.

Last edited:
To be the best, absolute #1 best at something is worth money.

no it's not. there's been plenty of gamers who were the best at something long before e-sports, and it wasn't worth shit. hell, there's plenty of people who are the best at something right now that don't get paid shit because what they're best at isn't considered of any value.

Again, I know that theres probably not much I can do to change your mind, but not all kids are lazy/useless.

I'm young enough that I'm sure you'd call me a kid, and yet I worked full time as a student to get through a prestigious math/stats program. Now I work 60+ hours a week modeling financial statistics for a large bank, with a specialty in optimizing credit portfolios.

Saying all young people are lazy because of what you see in the media/on tv is like saying all current middle aged people are drug addicted idiots because they grew up in the 60s and 70s when hippies were a thing.

and you don't think a kid getting paid millions for being good at pressing buttons is a little ridiculous just because it's capitalism?

and you don't think a kid getting paid millions for being good at pressing buttons is a little ridiculous just because it's capitalism?
Nope. Who am I to decide what winning that tournament is worth?

The kid is happy he made money from winning.
The sponsors/organizers are happy they made money from spectators.
The spectators are happy they paid money for merch and viewing privelidges.

No laws were broken (as far as we know).

Everyone's happy. No crimes were committed. Why take to the internet to piss on them and say its "disgusting"?

Huh. So "yes" was the answer to my question.

Seems like you just generally have issues with capitalism and free market economics. Definitely not something I'm interested in trying to debate with you.

it's more about getting paid millions for playing a freaken video game, while millions of people work their ass with full time jobs and make shit...not exactly fair....the distribution of wealth is way off....

it's more about getting paid millions for playing a freaken video game, while millions of people work their ass with full time jobs and make shit...not exactly fair....the distribution of wealth is way off....
Again, if you have issues with distribution of wealth towards industries you find frivolous, that would be an issue with free market economics/capitalism.

The whole point of a free market, is that I dont decide how much money being good at fortnight should be worth. You dont decide. The government doesnt decide. The market does. In this case it decided on about 3 million dollars.

If you have issues with that, you have issues with a free market. Which isnt something I'm going to be able to dissuade/change your mind on.

Isn't Sean O'Malley basically asking for more money because he streams videogames and makes more that way?

I doubt that.

The top 0.1% of people that play/stream for a living make a lot of money. The rest is below minimum wage.

How much did the losers make?

Again, I know that theres probably not much I can do to change your mind, but I feel a need to defend myself here. Not all kids are lazy/useless.

If you're out of school and in the work force, you aren't a kid.
The current schoolers, and some into college years. Those are the ones with severe lack of work ethic and extreme lack of guidance and encouragement to learn any physical traits. It's really not their fault, as their parents started in the internet age and don't have to babysit their offspring with everything virtual.
My 15 yr old's is mentally where I was at 10. Street smarts, tool and mechanic knowledge, social skills, etc. They have it easier and are more coddled. The next wave of adults is going to live by "I thought someone else was gonna do it" mindframe.

Last edited:
Again, if you have issues with distribution of wealth towards industries you find frivolous, that would be an issue with free market economics/capitalism.

The whole point of a free market, is that I dont decide how much money being good at fortnight should be worth. You dont decide. The government doesnt decide. The market does. In this case it decided on about 3 million dollars.

If you have issues with that, you have issues with a free market. Which isnt something I'm going to be able to dissuade/change your mind on.

I"m glad you are here holding it down. You are saving me a lot of typing in this thread, lol.

Like. + 10

Thats all I was trying to get at without having to getting into a heavy discussion about marketing, economics and capitalism. It’s too for early in the morning for that.

I agree with you and also don’t enjoy this culture of encouraging children to build useless skills and be plugged in all day. It’s a bit sick considering we are all fans of a sport where the athletes are literally giving their blood for pennies.

Am for sure in the age of attitude change. Every few years you see things for a different worth. Seeing the 0 work effort the current 10-25 yr olds have is disgusting. I wish my gramps was still around to put the same fear as we had speaking to adults like they do.
Video game should be a 1-2 hour hobby with twice the time spent outside to counter it. Not making 7 figures for screaming in a headset inches from a TV for 10 hours.

Last edited:
Nope. Who am I to decide what winning that tournament is worth?

The kid is happy he made money from winning.
The sponsors/organizers are happy they made money from spectators.
The spectators are happy they paid money for merch and viewing privelidges.

No laws were broken (as far as we know).

Everyone's happy. No crimes were committed. Why take to the internet to piss on them and say its "disgusting"?

so a kid is responsible enough to win millions of dollars, but he can't smoke cigarettes, have sex, drink alcohol or drive?

so a kid is responsible enough to win millions of dollars, but he can't smoke cigarettes, have sex, drink alcohol or drive?
Jesus it's not exactly like this kid is trying to sponsor the 4th reich here or anything.

He'll either blow the money on clothes/cars/stupid shit, or he'll get a good financial advisor and save it. Maybe some combination of the two.

Either way is fine with me. I dont see why you have such an issue with it. Is it because you work hard and dont make millions of dollars? I'm sorry. Truly. I dont wish financial hardship on anyone. But that doesnt make shitting on this kid for succeeding any less silly.

How is playing games a useless skill when it just made him millions of dollars?

Bet you wouldn't feel this way if your kid won 3 mil on a video game

Back